Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I’m looking to buy Apple Pencil (1st Generation) for iPad (9th generation). I noticed that two different versions of Apple Pencil (1st Generation) are being sold at least in my country model numbers being MK0C2 and MQLY3. Can anyone tell what’s the difference between the two? Couldn’t find information on this.

To clarify, yes, I am talking about two different versions of Apple Pencil (1st Generation). I know there is also Apple Pencil (2nd generation) but it’s a different product which has model number MU8F2 and is not compatible with iPad (9th generation).

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Your 9th gen iPad will work with either. The MQLY3 comes with the extra USB-C to Lightning adapter required by the iPad 10th Generation.

Last edited:

Pclaesen

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Your 9th gen iPad will work with either. The MQLY3 comes with the extra USB-C to Lightning adapter required by the iPad 10th Generation.
Was looking for this exact same problem just now. Am I correct to say both models will work on an iPad 10th generation as well, at you can charge both pencils with an iPhone?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Was looking for this exact same problem just now. Am I correct to say both models will work on an iPad 10th generation as well, at you can charge both pencils with an iPhone?
The 10th generation must use the USB-C to Lightning adapter to pair the Pencil to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.