Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I ordered a pencil with my iPad Pro preorder, apple shipped it immediately, and like a dummy I didn’t open it until 17 days after it got here. I trusted it was fine, and I didn’t have a compatible device to test it with anyway. I opened it now in anticipation of the iPad getting here tomorrow, and has a small but noticeable banana bend in it right out of the box. I’m outside the 14-day return window, so before I open a ticket with Apple I want to have an idea of how picky I’m being. The is the first gen 2 I’ve seen in person, so I don’t have a frame of reference for how perfect/imperfect these usually are.

So, anybody else get one with a curve to it right out of the box? The axis of the bend impacts both how (not) flat it sits on the flat side and how (not) parallel it will be with the edge of the iPad when attached. It rocks on the table and is bent enough to look weird to me. I’m not thrilled. iPad Pro gets here tomorrow, so I can’t test yet if it charges.

Blech.
2CA1A2AB-1561-4568-B205-E44F492F6B65.jpeg

This is with the flat edge facing down against the straight edge- it only touches at the ends:
53FCF741-E5BE-436F-8554-4E9C0173539C.jpeg

Flat side is down on the table. I notice the bend even without the ruler, and it will drive me nuts
AA1B3CAC-FA44-4A7D-9BD7-DA94354C7955.jpeg

I can’t. I shouldn’t have to, right? Im really hoping this isn’t normal and Apple will agree to exchange it.
38D118C0-8754-445A-A890-0C8F98DBFF70.jpeg

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Your being picky
Curious what drives your thinking so. Is it that it wouldn’t bother you, or because you’ve seen or owned the same? I’m honestly surprised I didn’t immediately find any pictures like mine when I hunted around, given how many other apple users are also picky about their tech. I did see reports of off-center tips, which seems to have improved. My husband’s gen 1 pencil is straight and rolls on a desk flawlessly.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Curious what drives your thinking so. Is it that it wouldn’t bother you, or because you’ve seen or owned the same? I’m honestly surprised I didn’t immediately find any pictures like mine when I hunted around, given how many other apple users are also picky about their tech. I did see reports of off-center tips, which seems to have improved. My husband’s gen 1 pencil is straight and rolls on a desk flawlessly.
As long as the pen worked, the small bend would not bother me.

Reactions: chabig

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
im not picky but that would bother me. being straight is important for your hand and how you hold/interact with it. if it had a small nick in it or the logo was smudged fine, but not being curved is kind of essential for a writing instrument unless it’s intentionally ergonomic or something

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
im not picky but that would bother me. being straight is important for your hand and how you hold/interact with it. if it had a small nick in it or the logo was smudged fine, but not being curved is kind of essential for a writing instrument unless it’s intentionally ergonomic or something
You must have extremely super sensitive hands then if a bend like that would bother you because did you look at the picture? there is virtually no bend at all. The bend in the pencil would not affect a persons writing ability, unless they had super sensitive hands.

Reactions: haruhiko

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
You must have extremely super sensitive hands then if a bend like that would bother you because did you look at the picture? there is virtually no bend at all. The bend in the pencil would not affect a persons writing ability, unless they had super sensitive hands.
I actually noticed the bend before I even took it out of the box. I also see it just holding it in my hand without any straight reference line. I sit it on the table and it rolls/settles oddly and sometimes unpredictably since the flat side doesn’t actually sit flat. I don’t really like how it feels in my hand, and that could be because the flat side is concave or the slight weight imbalance the curve creates. I tried holding it for a longer time during a listen-only meeting this morning, and I found myself spinning it searching for the “right” spot and never finding it. Maybe I won’t like a straight copy, but I’m annoyed wondering if the problem is I just got a bad copy. If they are all or frequently like this, then trading won’t do me much good.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I actually noticed the bend before I even took it out of the box. I also see it just holding it in my hand without any straight reference line. I sit it on the table and it rolls/settles oddly and sometimes unpredictably since the flat side doesn’t actually sit flat. I don’t really like how it feels in my hand, and that could be because the flat side is concave or the slight weight imbalance the curve creates. I tried holding it for a longer time during a listen-only meeting this morning, and I found myself spinning it searching for the “right” spot and never finding it. Maybe I won’t like a straight copy, but I’m annoyed wondering if the problem is I just got a bad copy. If they are all or frequently like this, then trading won’t do me much good.
If you was able to notice the bend before you took it out the box then all I can see is that the pictures you've taken are very missleading because in every picture the bend is hardly noticeable to the point where it should have no effect when in ones hand. The fact you say the pen feels uncomfortable to hold means the pen must have a more acute bend in it than the pictures are able to show.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
holding a bent pencil is so annoying because it shifts to its bend when youre holding it. it either fights your fingers or flips to the curve. id just return it acknowledging to the store that its an odd maybe particular issue and youd like a new one.

im not gonna argue with laptech further though, they can keep whatever pencil they like.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So just checked mine, it’s not bent. If there is an Apple store near you, you may be able to return it. Or Contact Apple support.
Thanks! That's good to hear. I contacted chat support, shared pics, and was referred to phone support to get a replacement arranged. I'm outside the normal return window, so they have to run it as a new order and temporarily charge me. They're having me return the bent pencil in the replacement's shipping box, and they'll cancel the charge once they get it back. That's fine by me, since it saves me the gas and time I'd spend on a 2-hr round trip to the nearest store. Apple isn't perfect, but I do appreciate how they handle things like this.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Mine is not bent, and must be pretty strong to not bend. Having said that it would bug me especially if it didn’t sit right in the charger on the iPad. Glad you got it ready to exchange.

AnotherGuy345

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
Orange County, CA
Thanks! That's good to hear. I contacted chat support, shared pics, and was referred to phone support to get a replacement arranged. I'm outside the normal return window, so they have to run it as a new order and temporarily charge me. They're having me return the bent pencil in the replacement's shipping box, and they'll cancel the charge once they get it back. That's fine by me, since it saves me the gas and time I'd spend on a 2-hr round trip to the nearest store. Apple isn't perfect, but I do appreciate how they handle things like this.
Great to hear. You’ll be happy with the replacement. Enjoy. :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My 2nd gen Pencil from 2018 is still attaching straight on my 2021 iPad Pro , with no air gaps in between. I think the OP is not especially OCD and should return the Pencil if he is not happy with it.

Reactions: LibbyLA

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
My 2nd gen Pencil from 2018 is still attaching straight on my 2021 iPad Pro , with no air gaps in between. I think the OP is not especially OCD and should return the Pencil if he is not happy with it.
Thanks. I did get it replaced, and the new one is perfectly straight. To anyone finding this because you have the same issue and it bothers you: don’t settle.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Thanks. I did get it replaced, and the new one is perfectly straight. To anyone finding this because you have the same issue and it bothers you: don’t settle.
Good to hear you got it resolved. That wasn’t an Apple Pencil you got, but an Apple Noodle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.