Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I discovered an Apple Pencil 2, purchased in 2018 and never opened. Will it work or is the battery dead because it has never been charged? Any thoughts?

Aggie88

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
Try it, you have nothing to lose. Mine recently died (wouldn't connect or charge) and the usual fixes didn't work. I read one place about using heat to help fix it. I used a hair dryer for a few minutes to warm up the pencil. I didn't get it hot, only slightly warm. I immediately connected it to my ipad and it connected right away. It then charged pretty quickly and has been good since then.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Worst comes to worst the battery is dead. Charge it for less than an hour and you should be good to go!

PedroTango

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Try it, you have nothing to lose. Mine recently died (wouldn't connect or charge) and the usual fixes didn't work. I read one place about using heat to help fix it. I used a hair dryer for a few minutes to warm up the pencil. I didn't get it hot, only slightly warm. I immediately connected it to my ipad and it connected right away. It then charged pretty quickly and has been good since then.
I tried a hair dryer and it now appears to be charging up at least from zero !

Reactions: Aggie88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.