Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javiyamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Alicante
I have a 2018 12,9" space grey iPad Pro with an Apple pencil 2 for less than a month.

I always treat my electronics extremely carefully (always with case) but... small vertical scratches have appeared on the right side of my iPad Pro just where the magnet that holds the Apple Pencil in place is.

CeDjDc2

https://imgur.com/CeDjDc2

The scratches have also started to rub against my Apple Pencil and scratch the pencil itself.
It is really anoying to have an almost new and expensive device damage from "scratch".

I found some threads in the internet concerning this, so it seems is not an occasional problem.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/agmvnf/anyone_else_have_scratches_along_the_side_of/
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/am9ym5/apple_pencil_2_leaving_scratches_on_ipad_pro/

Unfortunately I visited an apple store genius bar and they didn't know anything about that and did not offer me any solution (claiming the damage was probably done by me).

So...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Have we got an apple pencil 2 "scratchgate" on going???

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Is your iPad Pro silver? That might explain something.

I think the silver iPads hold up better then space grey anyways maybe? This is just speculation of course. But I have owned (2) Space Grey, and (1) Silver.

My last 11” models were both space gray, and they had very small silver scratches here and there from just regular use. It stood out though. If the space grey scratches, it is silver.

So when I was after the larger storage 11” model, I bought a silver one this time around.
[doublepost=1552524275][/doublepost]
No It is space grey.

They all do this to some extent, no matter the color of the device. I saw plenty of used iPads all over eBay like this.

Reactions: Ghost31

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
IT's a magnet. Apple cannot control if you get metal particles stuck between the device no more than dirt on the screen and you use the pencil. Wipe them both before you pair them together and this should be a non issue. I'm sure there are some natural defects causing this, but also exercise a little common sense too. It's always hard to decipher what one person's meaning behind "I take good care" and another's is. It's a relative statement.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Which is why as soon as I heard this may be an issue months ago I ordered one of these before it happened to me. Great little sleeve for the pencil and it actually made it more comfortable for me to hold, plus it comes with a cap to protect the nib when not in use! Magnet and charging still works but of course the magnetic grip isn't as strong, I don't mind it though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L57CP94/ref=psdc_3012930011_t1_B07NW6MBSD

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Ill repeat here (this was discussed in another thread )

12.9 SG LTE 1TB first production run unit from end of last year.
Also first run pencil.

To date, no scratches on the tablet at all.

Usage: 5 days a week, several hours per day. Pencil is used as a”mouse” to navigate around on the screen.

If people are seeing this could be a combination of faulty batches and/or user error in placement of the pencil...

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I have bestskinsever on my iPad so it’s still scratch free, maybe consider that option?

phoreohphore

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
This also happened to me! Space grey with marks appearing where Apple Pencils magnets attaches.

Took it to the Apple store. Checked the instore models before it to see if they had marks but they didn’t.

Showed the issue and the employee checked his iPad guide of faults and it wasn’t listed in there. Went to confer with his colleagues to see what they thought, some said it’s ‘wear and tear’ some didn’t. But they all agreed it’s the magnets that are causing it.
It was his call as to what to do as it’s not a known issue (yet) - he asked how I placed the Apple Pencil on there, trying to infer that somehow I put it on there wrong (what possible way can you attach it wrong and cause that damage!?).

In the end they are replacing the whole unit for me. He was very nice about it but it’s defiently not an issue Apple knows about yet so your mileage may vary.

phoreohphore

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
Again, this is a magnet. If you are around anything metallic and small it’s going to pick it up.

Thanks for repeating yourself and explaining how magnets work, who knew magnets attracted metal? </sarcasm>
Can assure you that hasn’t happened and this is 100% a design/manufacturer flaw. The powder coating on this batch of cases is soft and the friction from small movements of the pencil is causing this.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I think there is more to it... I have the same exact problem. These are deep scratches. There should be no way for plastic of the Apple Pencil to scratch the finish of the space gray iPad to the bare metal in just a few weeks of us.

I will be reaching out to Apple. It's not a huge issue, but it's definitely annoying and very un-Apple like, in my opinion. This is a top of the range tablet on the market today and it should hold up to the basic task of attaching a compatible accessory sold by Apple.

Reactions: Smoovejayy

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Release day iPad Pro. I keep the pencil in it’s sleeve that Apple makes and attach it to charge when needed. If you are traveling and have it in there, then there’s gonna be small pieces of debris.

Seduce what you are doing and others aren’t

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Release day iPad Pro. I keep the pencil in it’s sleeve that Apple makes and attach it to charge when needed. If you are traveling and have it in there, then there’s gonna be small pieces of debris.

Seduce what you are doing and others aren’t

Well, I'm not going to seduce anything or anyone :D

I don't agree with your assessment though. I haven't traveled with the iPad yet. Even "small debris" between the device and the pencil should not cause damage. This is a faulty design or I have a defective product.

After close inspection, I noticed a dot on the pencil. It's metal and imbedded in the pencil itself as in permanently attached. It's difficult to take a picture of the dot, but if I move it around under a light, it clearly shines like metal would. The markings on the iPad correspond approximately to where this dot is on the pencil. In fact, there are two symmetrical marks on each side of the black charging insert or magnet. Clearly from placing the pencil one way or another...

Edit: Added another picture of the dot. I took it with a DSLR, so you can now see clearly it's metal and embedded in the pencil itself. Just talked to Apple. Showed them the photos, they will swap the devices.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,270
  • IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6,614
  • _DSC5597.jpg
    _DSC5597.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,893
Last edited:

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
I think is not a “gate” just some peaple think it’s funny to spin the pencil on the ipad, and also dont care about dust, so if you put it on with a lot of tiny particles this happens. I had this issue with my surface book, but not with the space gray ipad, because I take care of them, and please God, don’t spin it like a fidget f. spinner like some retarded youtuber does.

Reactions: Never mind

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I think is not a “gate” just some peaple think it’s funny to spin the pencil on the ipad, and also dont care about dust, so if you put it on with a lot of tiny particles this happens. I had this issue with my surface book, but not with the space gray ipad, because I take care of them, and please God, don’t spin it like a fidget f. spinner like some retarded youtuber does.

Again, dust cannot damage either surface. So, let’s drop this nonsense about dust. My iPad is literally brand new. You also make assumptions based on what you saw on YouTube. There is clearly an issue here. I agree that it seems to be isolated, but it’s not imagined and definitely not caused by dust. Look at the images I shared. I suspect the defect is with the pencil.

Reactions: Ryan0751

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Why are you trying to convince us then? Shouldn't you be speaking to Apple? I haven't seen too many going on about this issue and anytime 2 materials meet there is a propensity for something called Friction. It happens. If I rubbed my finger on the side of my phone long enough I'm sure I could wear the coating off a new phone too....

Take it to Apple, they don't monitor this forum and there is nothing we can do to help you I'm sorry to say....

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
Again, dust cannot damage either surface. So, let’s drop this nonsense about dust. My iPad is literally brand new. You also make assumptions based on what you saw on YouTube. There is clearly an issue here. I agree that it seems to be isolated, but it’s not imagined and definitely not caused by dust. Look at the images I shared. I suspect the defect is with the pencil.

Ok, than please drop some dust on the back of your ipad (maybe it contains some stand particles also if you have luck) and smash your pencil against with the force what the magnets have.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah the idea that microscopic iron particles barely visible enough for someone to notice would find their way to a magnetized surface and cause abrasion isn’t so far fetched to be called nonsense. It may not be applicable to your particular case but nonetheless it is a possibility for others. That said now that you’ve provided photographic evidence of your particular issue clearly there’s a piece of metal embedded into your pencil so take it back and see what remedy you’re given.

I wouldn’t be surprised if what is happening is some pencils do not have enough embedment of whatever material is being used to provide the magnetic attraction to the iPad. This is similar to what is sometimes exhibited on the older smart keyboards where the thin plastic coating over the magnets eventually wore through and discoloration could be seen on the surface of the keyboard where it joins to the older ipad pros.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Have we got an apple pencil 2 "scratchgate" on going???

Gee, maybe. Maybe we can get Apple to make the side of its iPad out of diamonds and the side of the pencil out of diamonds too, in case the fricken things don't cost enough already for those of us just planning on using the gear as useful equipment instead of homing in on any possible areas where cosmetic flaws might mess with someone's resale plans or provide fodder for some lawyer's class action feast.

... and last time I gave a damn about cosmetic flaws when actually buying something well used (for parts, especially) was never...

But hey, carry on. Maybe Apple will like idea of a diamond-studded version of the iPad and its sidekick the Pencil. If it sells even a few then the press alone will be worth hundreds of millions of dollars it can plow back into R&D to bring us the next thing worth so much to consumers that it's also worth trashing in social media...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Why are you trying to convince us then? Shouldn't you be speaking to Apple? I haven't seen too many going on about this issue and anytime 2 materials meet there is a propensity for something called Friction. It happens. If I rubbed my finger on the side of my phone long enough I'm sure I could wear the coating off a new phone too....

Take it to Apple, they don't monitor this forum and there is nothing we can do to help you I'm sorry to say....

If you read my post you'll see Apple has already confirmed the issue and will swap it. Maybe there is a misunderstand on what is considered a "scratch." If you're talking about micro abrasions on the surface caused by normal wear and tear, then I agree. If you look at the photo, these are scratches that go all the way down to bare metal.

There are a few similar complaints, so I'm saying it's something... it's not unfounded, that's the point. Yes, people can take things way too far and make something out of nothing. I just don't think this is the case here.
[doublepost=1564677620][/doublepost]Will report back after I have a chance to take the iPad in for a swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.