Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've searched the threads and come up empty, so apologies if this needs to be merged later on.

I'm looking for a cheap & easy Apple Pencil solution. I thought I had read that some mechanical pencil clips could be removed and used with the Apple Pencil. However, I haven't been able relocate them.

Is anyone currently using this setup? Are you pleased with it? Which pencil did you choose?

Additionally, has anyone repurposed mechanical pencil or pen grips for Apple Pencil with success

Field3

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
for clipping the pentel p209 or pentel quicker ckicker. the ladder is sturdier and better fitting but is more difficult spreading to fit.

Reactions: willmtaylor

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Pigma Micron Pen .45mm is the best clip. It fits very snug and doesn’t move or scratch. It looks like it belongs on the Apple Pencil. I have mine set just below the metal band. I like to clip it onto the side of my Smart Keyboard where the hinge is. It stays on very well.

As for the grip, I saw a pack of Pilot G2s at the store that had a light gray grip on one of them. I had been using a black one off a random pen I had, and that one was easy to remove. However on the G2 I couldn’t pull it off so I had to take out the ink and crush it in my workbench vise a few times from each side (with cardboard around it to keep it from scuffing up the rubber) until it would wiggle free. I was really impressed with how strong the plastic is in those pens! Did the same for the red one. It was really hard to get on the Apple Pencil but it stays put. There are lots of different grips out there. Just find a pen that has a grip you like, and as long as the pen doesn’t look too thick or thin, it should work, but it might be a chore to take off. I couldn’t find many pencil grips at the store, and the ones they did have were rather childish, so that’s why I went with the built-in pen ones.

Photo of my Pencil:

IMG_3842.JPG

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Pigma Micron Pen .45mm is the best clip. It fits very snug and doesn’t move or scratch. It looks like it belongs on the Apple Pencil. I have mine set just below the metal band. I like to clip it onto the side of my Smart Keyboard where the hinge is. It stays on very well.

As for the grip, I saw a pack of Pilot G2s at the store that had a light gray grip on one of them. I had been using a black one off a random pen I had, and that one was easy to remove. However on the G2 I couldn’t pull it off so I had to take out the ink and crush it in my workbench vise a few times from each side (with cardboard around it to keep it from scuffing up the rubber) until it would wiggle free. I was really impressed with how strong the plastic is in those pens! Did the same for the red one. It was really hard to get on the Apple Pencil but it stays put. There are lots of different grips out there. Just find a pen that has a grip you like, and as long as the pen doesn’t look too thick or thin, it should work, but it might be a chore to take off. I couldn’t find many pencil grips at the store, and the ones they did have were rather childish, so that’s why I went with the built-in pen ones.

Photo of my Pencil:

View attachment 705983
Thanks! might try those out. I don't have a workbench vise, but I do have vice grips that might do the job.

Reactions: macduke

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Photo of my Pencil:

View attachment 705983

Did you take the clip off that pen?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks! might try those out. I don't have a workbench vise, but I do have vice grips that might do the job.
I'd try whatever pens laying around that you can get your hands on first to see what easily comes off. The G2 one is a bit too snug, but at least you don't have to worry about it ever coming off. Although this does give it a lower profile than others I had tried. I also didn't realize it had two small holes from pouring the mold for it. Others I've seen since then look a bit cleaner. I'd like to try the clear one from the Dr. Grip, lol, and I'm pretty sure I have an old one laying around somewhere—but it might be a bit…excessive? I think the perfect one would be clear and 1mm thin with tapered or beveled edges and little divots that provide grip but aren't small enough to collect grime.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'd try whatever pens laying around that you can get your hands on first to see what easily comes off. The G2 one is a bit too snug, but at least you don't have to worry about it ever coming off. Although this does give it a lower profile than others I had tried. I also didn't realize it had two small holes from pouring the mold for it. Others I've seen since then look a bit cleaner. I'd like to try the clear one from the Dr. Grip, lol, and I'm pretty sure I have an old one laying around somewhere—but it might be a bit…excessive? I think the perfect one would be clear and 1mm thin with tapered or beveled edges and little divots that provide grip but aren't small enough to collect grime.
Thanks again. Got them both on and seems much more practical now.

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.