Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Does anyone expect an Apple Pencil hardware refresh this year? Buy or Don't buy/Hold off?

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
I'd at least wait until the iPad event in March or April. If it's going to be updated, that's when they'd most likely do it.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Does anyone expect an Apple Pencil hardware refresh this year? Buy or Don't buy/Hold off?

Rumors are

#1. Inductive wireless charging because the current one charges absurdly
#2. Vibration support. Advertisers want nothing more than for your Apple Pencil or mouse to vibrate when you hover over their ads.
#3. Different shape. Your drawing fingers when clasped form a tiny triangle that's the best shape for a drawing utensil, and it won't roll away and break.
#4. Different colors because it's Apple. And I want a Red Apple Pencil so that Gen 1 suckers know what's up.
#5. Various pairing Improvments kinda like the Air Pods Pair Bluetooth 5.0 support maybe.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
I know everyone has their own personal wishlist for when the pencil is updated. For me, just get rid of the ridiculous way the first gen is charged. It looks so silly and it also runs the risk of breaking the charging tip off in the iPads port. It's just a bad design in that regard.

The last rumor I seen for the new model suggested it would have a smart connector charging and mounting system.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
For me, just get rid of the ridiculous way the first gen is charged. It looks so silly and it also runs the risk of breaking the charging tip off in the iPads port. It's just a bad design in that regard.

I know, I get embarrassed charging it in coffee shops. Way to go, Apple.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Never had that problem. It charges overnight in a nice aluminium holder next to the iPad.
But even if it runs out of juice, a quick couple of minutes charge will get me going for a couple of hours.
And if your selfesteem can't handle sticking your pencil in an iPad, perhaps it's time for some serious therapy?

OT, I'm really curious what iOS 11 and the new iPad line is going to bring. And I'm curious as well what a new Pencil (if any) is going to bring to my Gen1 iPad Pro's.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I've got a 55 dollar Apple Store gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Still think it's wise to wait to get a Pencil, even though the march releases have happened sans-update?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm assuming any pencil update would come with the new pros. Could be waiting months and I don't think there will be too much of an upgrade for the pencil if it does happen.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I'm not sure if there is a hint of an upgrade on the Apple Pencil any time soon based on yesterday's event.

Reactions: alecgold

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I don't think so. I think they will upgrade the Pencil when the next design of the iPad comes along.

Reactions: alecgold

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Any chance there will be third-party versions? Montblanc has a really nice stylus for the Note series of phones and tablets and it would be cool if they made one for Apple products.

FWIW
DLM

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Im thinking we may get an update in the fall with iPhone support. Just my gut feeling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.