Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I think its embarrassing that Apple could not produce enough Pencils to match the volume of iPad sales. I understand that it makes more sense to roll out the iPad Pro before black friday, even if that means constrained Pencil availability, but still, this date couldn't have surprised them too much and there's not much to a stylus compared to the complexity of the iPad.
Especially when it's a main differentiator between the pro and the lesser iPads. Another policy that Apple could've at least instated is a limit of 1 per customer and has to show proof of ownership of iPad pro. That would've killed the scalpers and increased iPad pro customer satisfaction.

PS better yet, the damn things should've come stock with the iPad pro!

Reactions: haruhiko and cynics

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Especially when it's a main differentiator between the pro and the lesser iPads. Another policy that Apple could've at least instated is a limit of 1 per customer and has to show proof of ownership of iPad pro. That would've killed the scalpers and increased iPad pro customer satisfaction.

I don't think that's a good idea. There are legit people that may want to buy the Pencil as gift for someone. That would piss off a lot of people, as it's already difficult to find the pencil.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
It is crazy. The pencil is the main, if not only selling point of the iPP. Apple should have packaged one in the box to come with each iPP. But you know what? I don't need it that badly. I returned everything, iPad Pro, smart keyboard, Smart Cover and case to Apple.

If Microsoft is more ready to take my money this Black Friday, I am happy to hand over my credit card.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I got tired of calling my local stores three times a day so I found a dude that was selling a bunch of them on Craigslist. He was only charging $25 over retail. But he had almost 50 of them. 50! He said he cleaned out three different stores earlier in the week, and literally bought every single Pencil he could.

Everything was legit-- he showed me the receipt and the Pencil was sealed (and works perfectly) but it was sort of annoying. He tried spinning me a story of how he was trying to do a "good thing" by helping out people that needed a Pencil.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I returned everything, iPad Pro, smart keyboard, Smart Cover and case to Apple.

That's pretty extreme. Where do you live? If you're in the U.S. there have been sightings of it in Best Buy. I have a feeling that availability is going to improve soon.

Interestingly, if you did not need it that badly, why not wait a little longer....?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
That's pretty extreme. Where do you live? If you're in the U.S. there have been sightings of it in Best Buy. I have a feeling that availability is going to improve soon.

Interestingly, if you did not need it that badly, why not wait a little longer....?

I need a tablet with digital pen badly for work. I prefer it to be an iPad, but this nonsense is not worth my time. There are other alternatives, $ is not an issue.

The frequent visits to the Apple Store in the past week made me felt like I was begging for something from them. I don't need this.

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I need a tablet with digital pen badly for work. I prefer it to be an iPad, but this nonsense is not worth my time. There are other alternatives, $ is not an issue.

The frequent visits to the Apple Store in the past week made me felt like I was begging for something from them. I don't need this.

I completely understand your point of view, but well... if $ is not an issue, you could get it from scalpers, distasteful as it may be. I'm sure members of the forums might be able to help as well. Well I guess it is a moot point now. Regardless, I do hope you get what you need :)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I completely understand your point of view, but well... if $ is not an issue, you could get it from scalpers, distasteful as it may be. I'm sure members of the forums might be able to help as well. Well I guess it is a moot point now. Regardless, I do hope you get what you need :)

**** scalpers!

Reactions: magbarn

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just order one online and wait for it to come in. No sense in driving yourself crazy trying to find one.

I think the point is having a network allowing users a chance of grabbing one.

For example... If I notice stock at a certain location, I can then let someone know... Since  is doing a poor job in handling online orders.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I don't think that's a good idea. There are legit people that may want to buy the Pencil as gift for someone. That would piss off a lot of people, as it's already difficult to find the pencil.
No, the number of people giving these away as a gift is infinitesimal compared to the number of iPad pro owners frustrated with this whole mess. Scalpers buying 50+ for pure greed as they don't have a day job should just suck it.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
No, the number of people giving these away as a gift is infinitesimal compared to the number of iPad pro owners frustrated with this whole mess. Scalpers buying 50+ for pure greed as they don't have a day job should just suck it.

Say Amen! Exactly!

It's pretty ****ed up that Apple would have people that preorder the Apple Pencil days after the release day and yet instead of filling those orders first they would ship to Best Buy, Staples is a few other select locations. Knowing damn well that these people are gonna put them on eBay.

Messed up.

LunaC

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
How long before you think iPP owners decide to take it back because they do not have the accessories to realize the usage it was sold for? It is sorta the anchor.

Reactions: gtmac

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
You're assuming way too much, especially scalpers not having a day job. Come on. You don't know if it's scalpers buying them. Even if they are scalpers the purchase is still legit.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
You're assuming way too much, especially scalpers not having a day job. Come on. You don't know if it's scalpers buying them. Even if they are scalpers the purchase is still legit.

Anyone who has a day job is very difficult to become a scalper of the Apple Pencil. From my conversation with tens of Apple Store staff these few days, the stock mostly come before the store open, and is usually gone within 10-30 minutes. That is from 10:00-10:30AM.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Anyone who has a day job is very difficult to become a scalper of the Apple Pencil. From my conversation with tens of Apple Store staff these few days, the stock mostly come before the store open, and is usually gone within 10-30 minutes. That is from 10:00-10:30AM.
The majority of scalpers resell products on Ebay. You can work a full time job and still sell on Ebay. I get people's frustration about the lack of pencil availability but a legitimate purchase from Apple rather it's from a scalper or not is still a sale and there's nothing that can be done about that.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
The majority of scalpers resell products on Ebay. You can work a full time job and still sell on Ebay. I get people's frustration about the lack of pencil availability but a legitimate purchase from Apple rather it's from a scalper or not is still a sale and there's nothing that can be done about that.

Right, except limit purchases per person. Seriously, it's not difficult or uncommon..

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I think the craze over the iPad pro has cooled down a bit. Despite my failure of finding a Pencil for sale, nobody was interested with the Apple Pencil next to the iPad Pro display units in my visit to the Apple Store this morning. This is a good sign. I think scalpers' time for profit is very limited and we will see near cost or at cost sale very soon. So relax and enjoy the Sunday. Cheers!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Indeed, people castigated Microsoft for charging extra for their type cover (should have been included in the price), but I'd go one step further and say Apple should have included the stylus with the iPad Pro.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Indeed, people castigated Microsoft for charging extra for their type cover (should have been included in the price), but I'd go one step further and say Apple should have included the stylus with the iPad Pro.
Microsoft does not include the Surface Pro Pen with the cheaper non-pro Surface version, and that pen was also widely unavailable at launch. But Microsoft was right to include it with every Surface Pro.
Talking about that pen, I think it should be shipped with an internal rechargeable battery instead of requiring AAAA batteries.

Reactions: silverblack

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it should be shipped with an internal rechargeable battery instead of requiring AAAA batteries.
I think its a single AAA not a AAAA battery and it lasts so long on that, I'm happy its not rechargeable.

I did find it odd that MS didn't include the stylus in the base Surface 3 machine, but since I own the Surface Pro, it has it. I'll be upfront, I think its cheap that MS didn't include the type-cover for the SP3 as well. Unlike the iPad been a touch first device, the SP3 really does need the keyboard.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I think its a single AAA not a AAAA battery and it lasts so long on that, I'm happy its not rechargeable.

I did find it odd that MS didn't include the stylus in the base Surface 3 machine, but since I own the Surface Pro, it has it. I'll be upfront, I think its cheap that MS didn't include the type-cover for the SP3 as well. Unlike the iPad been a touch first device, the SP3 really does need the keyboard.
https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=surface+pen+aaaa+battery&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

It's AAAA :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.