Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I see so may Apple Pencil knock-offs on Amazon and have to wonder if they are any good. Right now, the Apple Pencil 2 is reduced to $112 but that's still a little pricey for a stylus. I have an iPad Air 4 and would really love to get a cheap pencil for it, but which one? Anyone use these instead of the Apple branded pencil?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have an Apple Pencil 1 for my iPad Mini 5 and iPad 9th gen. But I wanted to test out alternatives. I bought a $20 alternative that looks like the Apple Pencil 2 for $20 on Amazon. It works great (with the caveat that it doesn't support tilt or pressure sensitivity).
I also bought an $8 Apple Pencil knock-off from Temu and it too works great. (though lighter in weight than the one on Amazon). I created a thread in this sub-forum about it.

What I really appreciate about these alternatives is that they don't need pairing (just power on and use) and no battery drain when not in use.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I have an Apple Pencil 1 for my iPad Mini 5 and iPad 9th gen. But I wanted to test out alternatives. I bought a $20 alternative that looks like the Apple Pencil 2 for $20 on Amazon. It works great (with the caveat that it doesn't support tilt or pressure sensitivity).
I also bought an $8 Apple Pencil knock-off from Temu and it too works great. (though lighter in weight than the one on Amazon). I created a thread in this sub-forum about it.

What I really appreciate about these alternatives is that they don't need pairing (just power on and use) and no battery drain when not in use.
I searched for other threads and didn’t find anything. Can you post a link to it? I haven’t had an iPad in years and was just gifted a practically brand new iPad Air 4. I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use it so didn’t want to spend over $100 on the Apple Pencil 2.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I searched for other threads and didn’t find anything. Can you post a link to it? I haven’t had an iPad in years and was just gifted a practically brand new iPad Air 4. I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use it so didn’t want to spend over $100 on the Apple Pencil 2.
Here are links to the two Apple Pencil knock-offs I bought (I'm pleased with both)... in order of preference:

The one from Temu has a lighter weight and slightly less strong of a magnet...

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you! I'm ordering the one off Amazon right now. It's worth it for $20 to see if I will actually use it. I think I will, but not sure enough to spend $129.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Great thread. iPP M2 here, Are there any good alternatives? I see ones on Amazon with more functionality than the actual AP2.
Thanks

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
This is what I ended up buying:

It was $19.99 plus an extra $5 off. I ordered it yesterday shortly after making that post and it came today. The only thing that it doesn't have that the Apple Pencil does is the pressure sensitivity. Tilt works. The charging magnet works. Shortcuts in the corners work. Plus it has an on off button that you can single, double, or triple click to do different things. I've been playing around with it for a little over an hour and I love it! I mean, for $15? Heck yeah!

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is what I ended up buying:

It was $19.99 plus an extra $5 off. I ordered it yesterday shortly after making that post and it came today. The only thing that it doesn't have that the Apple Pencil does is the pressure sensitivity. Tilt works. The charging magnet works. Shortcuts in the corners work. Plus it has an on off button that you can single, double, or triple click to do different things. I've been playing around with it for a little over an hour and I love it! I mean, for $15? Heck yeah!
Congratulations! Good choice.
The other nice things about these 3rd party Pencils are...
  1. no pairing required (nice to be able to switch between my iPad Mini and 9th gen iPad)
  2. no battery drain on the Pencil when not in use (not a problem for the Pencil 2 if attached to the iPad)

Reactions: ladytonya
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.