Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amandamerce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
I was charging my Apple Pencil 2 with my Ipad Pro (11 inches 2018) and the magnetic charger just bent by itself cracking the screen. Since my Apple Care+ expired two weeks ago and the support center said there was nothing they could do. They didn't give me an explanation about what could have happened, and the technician said that it indeed didn't look like something external happened to it, but since they didn't know what happened they considered it as accidental damage.

Does anyone know what could have happened to it? I don't have money to buy a new one, so at least I want to know what could have made this type of damage.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.59.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.59.21.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 652
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.56.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.56.43.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 243
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.54.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-21 at 12.54.38.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 336

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Looks like a part of the charger got hot and something expanded/exploded. As the guy said, it must have been internal, it seems very unlikely something external could have caused the metal to bend outwards in a 'nice' shape like that, and cause that shattering pattern from the bend point. So I wouldn't call it "accidental damage", because that implies the user did something to damage it (you only tried to charge your pencil), not a part failure.

Hard to say for sure without opening it up or comparing to a reference photo. I suppose if chargers get hot, there is that risk, but seems like an extreme case just for charging a tiny Pencil battery...

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I was charging my Apple Pencil 2 with my Ipad Pro (11 inches 2018) and the magnetic charger just bent by itself cracking the screen. Since my Apple Care+ expired two weeks ago and the support center said there was nothing they could do. They didn't give me an explanation about what could have happened, and the technician said that it indeed didn't look like something external happened to it, but since they didn't know what happened they considered it as accidental damage.

Does anyone know what could have happened to it? I don't have money to buy a new one, so at least I want to know what could have made this type of damage.
I'm not sure I'd be willing to accept the there is nothing they can do. If you are only two weeks out of warranty then that is kind of ridiculous if there was an internal fault. Do you have an Apple store nearby where you can take it in to show someone? Just for reference, I sold a 2015 iPad Pro to some friends and when it started flaking out and restarting they took it to an Apple store who said it wasn't repairable. When they complained the Apple store gave them a $250 gift card—more than it was worth in working condition. Apple store employees sometimes have a lot of discretion on what they can do to help customers.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
I can tell you what happened. You want a replacement iPad for some reason and you bent that yourself with a screwdriver or some other implement.

There is absolutely no way that damage could have occurred on its own. No way. Any internal issue that would have been powerful enough to cause that kind of damage to the very edge of the iPad would be very easy to locate. That bend has a very small point of pressure, which is caused by the implement you used to bend it. There is nothing inside the iPad or pencil that would have caused that.

Last edited:

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I can tell you what happened. You want a replacement iPad for some reason and you bent that yourself with a screwdriver or some other implement.

There is absolutely no way that damage could have occurred on its own. No way. Any internal issue that would have been powerdul enough to cause that kind of damage to the very edge of the iPad would be very easy to locate. That bend has a very small point of pressure, which is caused by the implement you used to bend it. There is nothing inside the iPad or pencil that would have caused that.

This ^^^

M54235

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
I have the same issue, although my screen hasn’t smashed (yet). There‘s a couple comments here accusing people of trying to break it on purpose, which is completely false.

iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Generation.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: shardey

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It certainly increases the appeal of the USB-C Pencil.

If someone was going to damage an iPad deliberately to get a replacement, they’d make sure they had AC+ first. Having had AC+ until two weeks prior, the OP would have taken the monthly follow on option at least for a month if damaging the unit was their intention.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
Bent by itself? That is positively false. Look at the damage there - that was caused by either dropping the iPad while the pencil was plugged in or some event that caused considerable stress on the connection. There is no way that was caused 'by itself'. What happened was, you slipped up somehow and broke it.

View attachment 1947449

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
That damage does not occur by itself. Even if the battery swelled, it would not cause damage there. Like the OP, you likely dropped the iPad with the pencil connected or sat on it or did it deliberately because there is no way that happened by itself.

I have the same issue, although my screen hasn’t smashed (yet). There‘s a couple comments here accusing people of trying to break it on purpose, which is completely false.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York

So, it bent like that entirely by itself? The only possible (though very unlikely) component inside the iPad that could cause damage is the battery, and that is definitely not the case with your iPad. A swelling battery would never produce that kind of concentrated damage, and besides, the battery isn't even near that area.

Unless you fell asleep and rolled over on top of it without knowing, you did this on purpose and expecting people to believe otherwise is in and of itself ludicrous.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
My guess is compression damage. The metal is bowing outward from one of its weakest points. Occam's Razor: it looks like a very specific kind of damage from a fall.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I was sceptical at first - looking at both the photos they are very similar in damage i.e. the peak of the bend is slightly offset from the centre, so I wonder if the copper charging coils (for the pencil) there have become faulty and caused damage?

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
I was sceptical at first - looking at both the photos they are very similar in damage i.e. the peak of the bend is slightly offset from the centre, so I wonder if the copper charging coils (for the pencil) there have become faulty and caused damage?
Absolutely not possible. Those coils won't swell or explode. Let's look at the first photo again; anything that occurred internally with a degree of force required to bend the aluminum and break the screen in such a small concentrated area would have some telltale indication of what caused it.

The coil wouldn't (and couldn't) swell or explode, but even if it did, it would not be in the location where the damage is, and that particular coil would be easily seen where the damage is. To believe that the iPad had some internal catastrophic failure like what is shown, that coil or whatever caused the damage wouldn't explode, create the damage, then suddenly return to normal form.

intech2day

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2023
Absolutely not possible. Those coils won't swell or explode. Let's look at the first photo again; anything that occurred internally with a degree of force required to bend the aluminum and break the screen in such a small concentrated area would have some telltale indication of what caused it.

The coil wouldn't (and couldn't) swell or explode, but even if it did, it would not be in the location where the damage is, and that particular coil would be easily seen where the damage is. To believe that the iPad had some internal catastrophic failure like what is shown, that coil or whatever caused the damage wouldn't explode, create the damage, then suddenly return to normal form.
Actually, I don’t want to rain on your parade here, because you seem to get enjoyment from being the resident crank, but you’re wrong. And rude as hell. But that’s beside the point.

I’ve serviced many iPad Pros made between 2018 and 2020 that have this issue.

It’s a structural problem. The metal at that point is thinner and weaker than the rest. This was somewhat corrected with iPads after those years, but it is a notorious problem with those made before 2021.

I doubt it has bent on its own with no external factors, but to say it was deliberate is a bunch of rubbish. More than likely, it was sat on or held by a corner or something else that distributed weight unevenly and caused bowing at the weakest point.

My own 2019 iPad Pro had the same issue. The screen didn’t crack, but that ridge did form on its own after time. My M2 iPad Pro doesn’t have the issue and I don’t see it in my shop very often on the M processors iPads.

But it is absolutely a design flaw of those models of iPad. Apple do not honor it as a fault because it is cosmetic. But they are well aware of the issue because they reinforced that area in later models.

Did it happen on its own out of nowhere? Not likely. Did it happen seemingly out of nowhere, with the owner not knowing something they did applied weight unevenly and caused a structurally weak part to bow? Probably.

But don’t go around accusing people of intentionally damaging their product. You have no proof of that, and each of these photos looks consistent with 50+ iPad Pros I’ve seen with the same unintentional damage.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
Don't worry, you're not raining on anything, because this issue is a foregone conclusion with people that know better. You seem to convinced that this could not be intentional. Of course not all instances are intentional, but with the degree of force used to create that damage, it is suspect.

First you say how these iPads have this issue, then you say that you doubt it bent on its own. Well that's the point I was making, wasn't I? Whether it is designed for strength is irrelevant to my post. It's not an 'issue', or there would be widespread occurrences of it. There is no such thing as any charging coupling that can handle considerable force.

And so, it looks like you mistook the point I was making.

Actually, I don’t want to rain on your parade here, because you seem to get enjoyment from being the resident crank, but you’re wrong. And rude as hell. But that’s beside the point.

I’ve serviced many iPad Pros made between 2018 and 2020 that have this issue.

It’s a structural problem. The metal at that point is thinner and weaker than the rest. This was somewhat corrected with iPads after those years, but it is a notorious problem with those made before 2021.

I doubt it has bent on its own with no external factors, but to say it was deliberate is a bunch of rubbish. More than likely, it was sat on or held by a corner or something else that distributed weight unevenly and caused bowing at the weakest point.

My own 2019 iPad Pro had the same issue. The screen didn’t crack, but that ridge did form on its own after time. My M2 iPad Pro doesn’t have the issue and I don’t see it in my shop very often on the M processors iPads.

But it is absolutely a design flaw of those models of iPad. Apple do not honor it as a fault because it is cosmetic. But they are well aware of the issue because they reinforced that area in later models.

Did it happen on its own out of nowhere? Not likely. Did it happen seemingly out of nowhere, with the owner not knowing something they did applied weight unevenly and caused a structurally weak part to bow? Probably.

But don’t go around accusing people of intentionally damaging their product. You have no proof of that, and each of these photos looks consistent with 50+ iPad Pros I’ve seen with the same unintentional damage.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Looks like someone sat on the iPad and bent it and then they physically bent it back trying to hide the damage. No way this happened internally. This spot where the magnetic charger is present is the weakest point of the iPad and it would bend exactly there.

intech2day

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2023
Don't worry, you're not raining on anything, because this issue is a foregone conclusion with people that know better. You seem to convinced that this could not be intentional. Of course not all instances are intentional, but with the degree of force used to create that damage, it is suspect.

First you say how these iPads have this issue, then you say that you doubt it bent on its own. Well that's the point I was making, wasn't I? Whether it is designed for strength is irrelevant to my post. It's not an 'issue', or there would be widespread occurrences of it. There is no such thing as any charging coupling that can handle considerable force.

And so, it looks like you mistook the point I was making.
I didn’t mistake anything. The point is that you’re accusing people of intentionally damaging their product as some kind of scam or scheme and you have no right to do that. You are therefore an *******.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I didn’t mistake anything. The point is that you’re accusing people of intentionally damaging their product as some kind of scam or scheme and you have no right to do that. You are therefore an *******.
Judgmental much? People have been known to do exactly what you describe many times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.