Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I’ve been using my Apple Pencil 2 since launch date of iPad Pro 11” 2018.

I use my Pencil primarily for note taking at work, so Mon - Fri every week. Therefore I’ve used my Pencil loads!

Recently I’ve noticed the gaps in my writing, as if I’ve lifted the Pencil, and the reverse where the “ink” appears as if I’ve added pressure, making my writing thicker.

I’ve never replaced the tip so assuming this is what it going on. I’ve got the 12.9” 2020 as well and I’m seeing this same behaviour on both devices, across multiple apps (OneNote, Notes, Notability).

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? And if so, did new tips fix the issue? They are being delivered tomorrow so I’ll soon find out for myself.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’ve been using my Apple Pencil 2 since launch date of iPad Pro 11” 2018.

I use my Pencil primarily for note taking at work, so Mon - Fri every week. Therefore I’ve used my Pencil loads!

Recently I’ve noticed the gaps in my writing, as if I’ve lifted the Pencil, and the reverse where the “ink” appears as if I’ve added pressure, making my writing thicker.

I’ve never replaced the tip so assuming this is what it going on. I’ve got the 12.9” 2020 as well and I’m seeing this same behaviour on both devices, across multiple apps (OneNote, Notes, Notability).

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? And if so, did new tips fix the issue? They are being delivered tomorrow so I’ll soon find out for myself.
When it starts losing sensitivity like that, it’s a good time to replace. Enjoy!

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
best place to get the tips direct from Apple via the Store app.
IMG_0186.jpeg

Reactions: Apple_Robert

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
best place to get the tips direct from Apple via the Store app. View attachment 939781
Seeing Apple sell them 4 at a time makes me think that we should replace them more often than we do...

My daughter took the tip of my Pencil and started banging it on my iPad. The tip is bent in but still works. I would replace it but don't know if I need 4. Anyone want to split it with me? hahah

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Seeing Apple sell them 4 at a time makes me think that we should replace them more often than we do...

My daughter took the tip of my Pencil and started banging it on my iPad. The tip is bent in but still works. I would replace it but don't know if I need 4. Anyone want to split it with me? hahah
Haha, if you have kids, a pack of 4 sounds like a good idea!

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Just to follow up. After replacing the tip, Pencil works like new and seeing none of the issues I was experiencing before it was replaced.

As I said in my original post, I hadn’t changed my tip since getting my 11” 2018 on launch day. I don’t use any kind of screen cover but do use the Pencil daily for handwriting.

Looking closely I couldn’t see any imperfections on the tip prior to replacing but I guess that amount of use must have caused some degradation over time.

Reactions: sky87 and 0128672

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I use my pencil several hours a day six days a week for work and I have never, ever changed the tip!

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
I was wondering the same thing, as I am in the same boat as you, bought the Apple Pencil 2 on launch day with my 11" iPP back in 2018... I can't see any visual cues that I need to change the tip and the behaviour still seems to be working fine, but I think I'll get a pack of replacement tips just to be safe.

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
When I was using a screen protector like Paperlike, I quickly wore down the tip of my pencil. I was doing a lot of note taking as well as sketching and drawing. YMMV
I switched to a less “aggressive” screen covering (Moshi iVisor) and so far, the wear factor has been substantially reduced

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Update - My issue has returned. Genius appointment booked for tomorrow. I just hope I can recreate it as it seems to be intermittent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.