Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SammyNad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
I can't identify when/how this happens, but I'll be sketching, or writing a note and suddenly the Apple Pencil will stop working. Battery is full on both iPad and Pencil.

I've read others are having similar issues.

Just purchased the iPad/Pencil yesterday, so disconcerting.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can't identify when/how this happens, but I'll be sketching, or writing a note and suddenly the Apple Pencil will stop working. Battery is full on both iPad and Pencil.

First attempt to repair the issue is to Try disconnecting Bluetooth, re-enable.

More advanced troubleshooting:

Otherwise, restart the iPad, under Bluetooth settings, select the Apple Pencil and forget this device, then re-enable Bluetooth. Plug the Apple Pencil into the iPad. Pair the Apple Pencil as a new device.

That should rectify any issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236

Reactions: kazmac

Babubadar

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
What I've noticed is that if the tip might get unscrewed slowly over time which impedes the connection between the stylus and digitiser. Screw that tightly and it works again

SammyNad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
Tried all the above solutions. Two days in a row... Apple Pencil just stopped working (with more than enough charge), had to plug into iPad to revive it. At other times, Apple Pencil just cuts out, and then when I keep drawing to draw, the issue resolves itself.

The question is... is it the Apple Pencil, the iPAD, where's the problem? Bluetooth (I have no other BT peripherals connected to iPad).

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
What I've noticed is that if the tip might get unscrewed slowly over time which impedes the connection between the stylus and digitiser. Screw that tightly and it works again

I had that exact problem with the Pencil out of the box, was about ready to take it back and have it replaced when I checked this.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013

Thank you so much for this!

I was going crazy as my pencil would only draw really faint lines in Procreate when I held it at my usual angle. I let someone else use it yesterday and at first thought they'd somehow messed with my settings. I was getting really frustrated and even starting to worry that my iPad screen was defective or something.

You saved me from an embarrassing trip to the Apple Store.

Thank you!

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Did you find a solution? I also have the issue where the pencil seems to enter a coma and is only revived after plugging it into the iPad for a second.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have to plug it into the iPad lightening port almost any I use it. But now that I have the touch disease I have to use it more often. Not sure I’ll buy another $1000 device with pencil if they only work for 2 years and you have to constantly plug it into the ipad to revive the connection. Sadly, my hubby has same ipad 12.9 that is just now starting to get the touch disease.

Supertino787

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2018

I unscrewed tip, was afraid to use compressed air can, but blew hard into tip and onto the sensor it protects, and now the Pencil works consistently -- thought I was going to be chucking it until I did that

diazartist

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
Yep. I've been experiencing this now. First I didn't know the tip would unscrew little by little. So I went to the Apple Store and felt like a dumbass. They should have put that somewhere so you'd expect this to happen. But the connectivity thing is the main issue. It's frustrating when you take your iPad somewhere and have limited time to draw and it doesn't work. This sucks.

Uncleants

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018

I had this too and was pulling my hair out until I realised that the nib was a bit loose. Once I screwed it back in properly I haven’t had the problem since.

Reactions: diazartist

diazartist

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
I had some issues already when working with an iPad Pro 2 and pencil. First thing. I love it. Second sometimes it doesn’t “see” the pencil. Basic way to fix it is connecting it directly to the iPad until it shows up. You can see it by sliding 2 finger to the right and it shows the Bluetooth devices that are connected. If you don’t see it and you tried connecting the pencil and nothing happens you might have to go to the Bluetooth option in Settings. If you see it there click “forget...” and put your pencil back in. That solved a lot of issues. Sometimes it sees two pencils so make sure those are also “forgotten.” Another issue I had is the tip kind of unscrews sometimes so try screwing it back on. Other than that i’ve Had zero issues the last 2-3 months. I plan to get a second pencil as a backup cause I use it up a lot but it also does t take a lot of time to charge so for a lot people having one is all you need.

Last edited:

Anisiaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
Tried all the above solutions. Two days in a row... Apple Pencil just stopped working (with more than enough charge), had to plug into iPad to revive it. At other times, Apple Pencil just cuts out, and then when I keep drawing to draw, the issue resolves itself.

The question is... is it the Apple Pencil, the iPAD, where's the problem? Bluetooth (I have no other BT peripherals connected to iPad).
Exactly, but i have to scribble for quite a few minutes before it starts working again and then it stops again after a while. I just bought it a few weeks ago i don't know what to do. Im starting college soon and i need it to take notes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.