Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm currently using the pencil without a screen protector and I've been noticing that my iPad already responds to the pencil if it's like a mm (or maybe a bit less) above the screen, which causes some accidental touches from now an then. Is anyone noticing this too? It should pretty easily reproducible. If you hold the pencil tip just a tad bit above the screen it should already respond.

Ariaizadi

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm currently using the pencil without a screen protector and I've been noticing that my iPad already responds to the pencil if it's like a mm (or maybe a bit less) above the screen, which causes some accidental touches from now an then. Is anyone noticing this too? It should pretty easily reproducible. If you hold the pencil tip just a tad bit above the screen it should already respond.

Just tried it in the notes app. The pencil does respond without me actually touching, but it was difficult to actually do. You have to be so close without making contact for it to trigger. I can't imagine this being really an issue, I guess depending on your usage.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Just tried it in the notes app. The pencil does respond without me actually touching, but it was difficult to actually do. You have to be so close without making contact for it to trigger. I can't imagine this being really an issue, I guess depending on your usage.

Well I noticed the pencil responding to the screen a few times without me actually meaning to do something, that's why I tested it in the first place. But I'll guess I'll just have to learn to work with it. It's not that big of a deal, but I was just wondering if my pencil maybe was set too sensitive or something. Thanks for the reply anyway!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yes, mine does this. I can do it pretty easily becuase I use the pencil like a stylus, it is so much easier clicking webpages where they have small buttons close together.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Hard to tell if this is intentional or not. If the response is consistent between iPP and Pencil units (sounds like it is) then it might be possible to Apple to tune the response at the driver/OS level, assuming they want to change it. There must be some kind of careful balance going on here because N-trig pens do the opposite, sometimes not registering very light contact at all.

Doesn't bother me in terms of UI interface. It causes some issues in certain writing/drawing situations. If you're using a "pen" type of brush that makes a strong mark at any pressure (pen in Notes, OneNote, etc.) this can result in a lot of trails coming off of letters.

The app developer can choose to discard touches that have zero force if they want, but the user will still see "ghost" trails that quickly disappear at the beginning of every line because the first couple input events come in with a placeholder pressure value (which is updated next frame).

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Yes, mine does this. I can do it pretty easily becuase I use the pencil like a stylus, it is so much easier clicking webpages where they have small buttons close together.

Yeah that's when I was noticing it the most too. Some accidental swipes or touches occurred. I haven't had any problems while writing or drawing yet, though.

In a couple of days I should have my glass screen protector on it however, which is probably about as high as the maximum gap between the pencil and the screen (and for it still to respond), so I'm wondering if that will change anything.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Not sure if I'm wrong but it feels like there is a small magnet in the tip of the Pencil so that when the Pencil is very near the screen, there is a bit of attraction.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Not sure if I'm wrong but it feels like there is a small magnet in the tip of the Pencil so that when the Pencil is very near the screen, there is a bit of attraction.
Haha yeah I noticed that too! So I guess theres just an electric field that spans just a bit above the screen which is used to detect the pencil.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hard to tell if this is intentional or not. If the response is consistent between iPP and Pencil units (sounds like it is) then it might be possible to Apple to tune the response at the driver/OS level, assuming they want to change it. There must be some kind of careful balance going on here because N-trig pens do the opposite, sometimes not registering very light contact at all.

Doesn't bother me in terms of UI interface. It causes some issues in certain writing/drawing situations. If you're using a "pen" type of brush that makes a strong mark at any pressure (pen in Notes, OneNote, etc.) this can result in a lot of trails coming off of letters.

The app developer can choose to discard touches that have zero force if they want, but the user will still see "ghost" trails that quickly disappear at the beginning of every line because the first couple input events come in with a placeholder pressure value (which is updated next frame).

Yeah this makes sense. I noticed that the n-trig pens do require at least some pressure to respond but I must say neither is optimal. It is mildly annoying while writing in goodnotes. I hope they can update it.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That's common for digital pens. I've had all sorts of digital pen-equipped devices in the past and just getting near the screen is enough to get a response. My Surface Pro pen does it too. I would like to say that my Apple Pencil does it too on my iPad Pro, but I can't find a &#@! Apple Pencil.

Reactions: fenjen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.