Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    187 KB · Views: 303
Last edited by a moderator:

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Registered at John Lewis and keep trying at various local also Apple stores.
Tried Bath today but none as expected. Cribs and Cabott also no luck.

My Apple order is down for mid to late December so I'll keep trying but the
whole situation is ridiculous. An integral accessory is in mega short supply
when the Pro is not. Very weird!

Reactions: munishp

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
FYI went to Covent Garden this morning to try out the keyboard.

They've not had any Pencils or Smart Keyboards in since Wednesday apparently, and even then it was just a handful.

Keep us posted on your checks everyone!

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi,
I'm just back from the Glasgow Braehead store where I successfully picked up a Silicone case for my iPad Pro but there was zero stock of Pencils and Smart Keyboards. There were demonstration Pencils (3 I think) plus multiple Smart Keyboards so I had a play with each and was very impressed, particularly with the Pencil. It really is incredibly good.

The advice from the apple employee was simply to order online as they have no visibility of any incoming stock so can't make any promises.

Glasgow (Braehead): No Stock (17th Nov 2015 @ 2pm)

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
Pencil Update - Apple HighCross Leicester No Stock
-Milton Keynes -No Stock
-Bull Ring Birmingham - No Stock

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
Hi,
I'm just back from the Glasgow Braehead store where I successfully picked up a Silicone case for my iPad Pro but there was zero stock of Pencils and Smart Keyboards. There were demonstration Pencils (3 I think) plus multiple Smart Keyboards so I had a play with each and was very impressed, particularly with the Pencil. It really is incredibly good.

The advice from the apple employee was simply to order online as they have no visibility of any incoming stock so can't make any promises.

Glasgow (Braehead): No Stock (17th Nov 2015 @ 2pm)
What do you think of the Silicone case? Not sure if i should get that or just opt in for Apple Care

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
As of 5 minutes ago Regent St no stock of pencils or keyboards.

(FYI any concerned observers: I have the Pencil but I'm looking for the keyboard, and asking for stock of both at once.)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
What do you think of the Silicone case? Not sure if i should get that or just opt in for Apple Care

I've only just fitted it and haven't had a chance to play with it yet but first impressions are very good. I like the feel of the material as it is velvety smooth and grippy without being sticky if you know what I mean. The main reason I decided to get it besides avoiding scuffs on the back is to help it stay in place on my lap better when I'm using it as a tablet. When the iPP is naked I find it slips around too much so I end up having to hold it in place with one hand. With the Silicone case it will stay put even if the surface or body part it's resting on isn't perfectly flat.

I think the case is expensive at £65 and would be fairer priced at around £49 but it does look very nice and feels premium. I also think it covers a different scenario compared to Applecare because the latter doesn't cover purely cosmetic defects so if you get your case all beat up then as long as it doesn't affect the functionality then it won't be covered. Of course there will be those who would perhaps create a functional problem just to get a replacement under warranty but I'm not sure I could bring myself to intentionally damage an Apple product quite honestly. I'm disappointed that the Smart Keyboard doesn't cover the back of the iPad and it's only because I know that now that I have bought the silicone cover. I do feel a bit ripped off by the mounting cumulative cost of my iPad Pro experiment but I'm optimistic that it will be worth it in the end.

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
I've only just fitted it and haven't had a chance to play with it yet but first impressions are very good. I like the feel of the material as it is velvety smooth and grippy without being sticky if you know what I mean. The main reason I decided to get it besides avoiding scuffs on the back is to help it stay in place on my lap better when I'm using it as a tablet. When the iPP is naked I find it slips around too much so I end up having to hold it in place with one hand. With the Silicone case it will stay put even if the surface or body part it's resting on isn't perfectly flat.

I think the case is expensive at £65 and would be fairer priced at around £49 but it does look very nice and feels premium. I also think it covers a different scenario compared to Applecare because the latter doesn't cover purely cosmetic defects so if you get your case all beat up then as long as it doesn't affect the functionality then it won't be covered. Of course there will be those who would perhaps create a functional problem just to get a replacement under warranty but I'm not sure I could bring myself to intentionally damage an Apple product quite honestly. I'm disappointed that the Smart Keyboard doesn't cover the back of the iPad and it's only because I know that now that I have bought the silicone cover. I do feel a bit ripped off by the mounting cumulative cost of my iPad Pro experiment but I'm optimistic that it will be worth it in the end.

thank you very much for the detailed response. Nice to get your insight.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

thank you very much for the detailed response. Nice to get your insight.

I agree with everything except that I don't like the fact that there is a large cutout on the left hand side to facilitate a cover or keyboard or whatever. It
somewhat spoils the feel of it and makes it difficult to pick up if you chose
the wrong side to grasp.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Let's try and stay on topic guys, this thread is very useful for a quick glance at the latest on availability (especially with the red font trend started by @craig1410 !).

There is lots of discussion about the qualities of the accessories elsewhere.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Let's try and stay on topic guys, this thread is very useful for a quick glance at the latest on availability (especially with the red font trend started by @craig1410 !).

There is lots of discussion about the qualities of the accessories elsewhere.

I suppose after endless tales of no pencils available anywhere which gets a bit boring maybe we can discuss something else. Only joking!

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Apologies if this has already been covered but has anyone had any luck getting a Pencil in the UK yet? I've tried multiple stores and not been able to find any stock anywhere, likewise for the keyboard!

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I think its a random trickle into stores at the moment. Get in early one day and grab them, if they're there.

I ordered mine online, with a 19th onwards delivery.

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
I have no problem popping into a store daily but it would be great if there was anyone who knew roughly what time of day they put stock on shelves...

Is it all before the store opens, or when they get a random delivery during the day?

Any advice would be great!!!

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
It's quite a mission of a trip for me, 45 mins ish to the closest store so to be turned away a few times would get annoying really quickly lol

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
It's no easier working next door to an Apple Store as you just feel like an obsessive stalker! There's only so many times you can go into the store before it looks like you're casing the joint ;)

Doesn't help that the staff appear to just run off one of five standard responses - sometimes they say it's quicker to order online, sometimes they say check store regularly as that'll be quicker. Anything to avoid saying 'we don't know' to a customer!

joeallen

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Seen a few popping up in the UK on eBay this morning... Anybody know of any UK stores at all stocking them?

My nearest store is Lakeside... But that's still a 25 min drive around the M25 for me! What a terrible life!

laminarpanda

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
London
I'm planning to go to Covent Garden later today. Will let you know if by any chance there is any in stock. Probably not! ;)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've got three stores relatively close so I call in when I can, certainly don't bother making a special journey. All rather futile.

I'm hoping JL gets some in and notifies me before my outstanding order for the pencil and keyboard comes through from Apple in mid to late December.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Just checked the Eldon Square store in Newcastle. No luck. They said they'd already had their delivery but no pencils. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.