Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It’s a budget version, but I think it’s pointless. No pressure sensitivity makes it worse than the 1st-gen Pencil for the iPad 10th-gen, only advantage is the convenience of not having a dongle. Every other USB-C iPad user is better off buying the 2nd-gen.

The only users this is geared towards, I think, is iPad 10th-gen users, and even then, like I said, its worth is... debatable, at least.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It makes sense given the need to move off of lightning… granted the 1st generation is still available, but I doubt it will be there long.

I can see them moving off the 2nd generation as well when they release a new Apple Pencil for the 2024 iPad Pros (supposedly that’s getting a redesign)… that way it simplify the product line with only two Apple Pencils to choose from.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It makes sense given the need to move off of lightning… granted the 1st generation is still available, but I doubt it will be there long.

I can see them moving off the 2nd generation as well when they release a new Apple Pencil for the 2024 iPad Pros (supposedly that’s getting a redesign)… that way it simplify the product line with only two Apple Pencils to choose from.
I think it would be far better with pressure sensitivity. Make it a like-for-like replacement in terms of features with the 1st-gen and it would be nice.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think it would be far better with pressure sensitivity. Make it a like-for-like replacement in terms of features with the 1st-gen and it would be nice.
No argument with you there. But to ask Apple to do the nice thing… when they are seeking any edge to make a buck and I’m not knocking them.

There is a reason why they are a trillion dollar company… they make great business decisions. I’m just offering my thoughts on why went this route…

Reactions: NC12 and Shirasaki

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
No argument with you there. But to ask Apple to do the nice thing… when they are seeking any edge to make a buck and I’m not knocking them.

There is a reason why they are a trillion dollar company… they make great business decisions. I’m just offering my thoughts on why went this route…
Yeah, agreed, from that point of view it makes sense. As a customer, unless you have a 10th-gen iPad and don’t care about pressure sensitivity, I’d just recommend the 2nd-gen Pencil.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, agreed, from that point of view it makes sense. As a customer, unless you have a 10th-gen iPad and don’t care about pressure sensitivity, I’d just recommend the 2nd-gen Pencil.
There are probably a good number of users of all iPad models who don’t care about pressure sensitivity, so this is a cheaper option for all of them. It’s not a replacement for the 1st gen. The 1st gen is still being sold purely for compatibility with Lightning iPads, not because it’s a cheaper option—you don’t actually have a choice which Pencil to buy, it’s dictated by your iPad model, until now (technically you might be able to use a 1st gen with any iPad model using an adapter, but I don’t know that would make much sense considering the small difference in price and the bigger difference in functionality/convenience). The 1st gen just happens to be a little cheaper because it’s older. But yes I think it will be discontinued as soon as the 9th gen iPad is discontinued or soon after. The Pencil lineup will be simplified soon to just a flagship and a cheap version.

The real question is whether users will find enough value in the cheaper Pencil compared to third party options.

It is unfortunate 10th gen iPad users will no longer be able to buy a Pencil with pressure sensitivity (although they now get Hover and magnetic storage). Apple may have just observed that not a lot of those users make use of pressure sensitivity. But it’s also possible the next flagship Pencil will support both wireless and USBC, which would give every iPad model user a choice of Pencil, as well as an alternate way to charge in case one doesn’t want to attach the Pencil to their iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
It just seems weird. Like it’s not even required. Why not release a new 3rd gen pencil with the same wireless charging as gen 2 and discount the 2nd gen and retire the 1st gen lightning one. Makes sense.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
It just seems weird. Like it’s not even required. Why not release a new 3rd gen pencil with the same wireless charging as gen 2 and discount the 2nd gen and retire the 1st gen lightning one. Makes sense.
Probably the EU mandate unless the Pencil is somehow exempt from needing to be USB-C. I'd bet they drop the First Gen as the new one is compatible with all USB-C iPads. Which the 9th Gen iPad is the last Lightning iPad, right?

Reactions: Southernguy

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It’s a very thin, artificial finger. Great for note-taking and sketching, not so much for any detailed drawing. Certainly cheaper, but… heck, if that’s all you’re doing with it get a 3rd party pencil for $20 or less instead.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Entry level iPad isn’t compatible with gen 2 Pencil though, and I doubt the entry iPad will be compatible in any near future generation, since it exists to be as cheap as possible. So they need a USBC Pencil for that model. They could make the next gen 3 Pencil with both wireless and USBC charging/pairing, we’ll see. But for now this is the Pencil for that model (as well as older models with a Lightning adapter?). But also the cheaper Pencil just serves as a cheaper option for any model iPad. A true cheaper option, because the 1st gen Pencil isn’t really much cheaper, because again, it isn’t really meant to be the cheap option, but just for legacy Lightning iPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Southernguy

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This is such a consumer-hostile thing to do. I'm a diehard Apple sysadmin who can recite the lineup since about 1998, and this is confusing as hell.

How hard would it have been to have put a USB-C connector on the end of the 1st gen pencil and call it a damn day?

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Probably the EU mandate unless the Pencil is somehow exempt from needing to be USB-C. I'd bet they drop the First Gen as the new one is compatible with all USB-C iPads. Which the 9th Gen iPad is the last Lightning iPad, right?
True, but they're still selling the 9th Gen iPad, and it's priced aggressively for EDU customers. The 1st gen Pencil is still very relevant and will be for years to come.

Reactions: klasma

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s what Apple retroactively wished the Pencil 1 to be, but also removing pressure sensitivity to upsell to the more expensive iPads and the Pencil 2. And subtly telling Lightning iPad owners that they don’t matter anymore.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
OK so I now suspect this Pencil magnetically attaches to the iPad 10th gen

It has magnets

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It should remain there for a while as long as Lighting iPad owners may need a replacement pencil.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
True, but they're still selling the 9th Gen iPad, and it's priced aggressively for EDU customers. The 1st gen Pencil is still very relevant and will be for years to come.
The 9th isn't a new device and they probably introduced the new Pencil to replace the First Gen when they replace the 9th. The First Gen might still be relevant but not from a manufacturing and sales position when your goal is moving forward with tech. At some point you have to stop producing the old thing and move to the new thing. I bet we're seeing the transition period of phasing out the First Gen.

Reactions: Ludatyk

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

The problem is, if you want pressure sensitivity, you still only have the choice between the iPad 9 or 10 with the Pencil 1 or a significantly more expensive iPad Air/Pro (or the smaller mini) with Pencil 2. The new Pencil changes nothing there. It also means the Pencil 1 can’t be considered obsolete, creating a confusing lineup with the three Pencils. That’s just awkward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timpetus

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It should remain there for a while as long as Lighting iPad owners may need a replacement pencil.
But this new Apple Pencil will work on all iPads… including Lightning iPad owners. Once Apple switch the entry level iPad to USB-C, which I believe next year… I see no reason the 1st generation should be available to purchase.

It also means the Pencil 1 can’t be considered obsolete, creating a confusing lineup with the three Pencils. That’s just awkward.
And that‘s why I brought up… removing the 1st generation from the lineup.

Edit. I’m wrong.. new Apple Pencil will not work on lightning iPad owners. My apologies.

Reactions: jchap

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The 9th isn't a new device and they probably introduced the new Pencil to replace the First Gen when they replace the 9th. The First Gen might still be relevant but not from a manufacturing and sales position when your goal is moving forward with tech. At some point you have to stop producing the old thing and move to the new thing. I bet we're seeing the transition period of phasing out the First Gen.
I don't think they'll stop production for at least five years. Once the 9th gen iPad becomes "obsolete" in 2028 or thereabouts, we'll see the first gen Pencil cancelled.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
But this new Apple Pencil will work on all iPads… including Lightning iPad owners.
Apple doesn’t list it as compatible with Lightning iPads. It’s not impossible that it works nevertheless, but we don’t know that, and knowing Apple I’ll assume that it doesn’t, until proven otherwise.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Apple doesn’t list it as compatible with Lightning iPads. It’s not impossible that it works nevertheless, but we don’t know that, and knowing Apple I’ll rather assume that it doesn’t.
Yeah, I edited my post. However, I don’t see why the new Apple Pencil isn’t compatible... seems strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.