Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Despite the Apple Pencil working and continuing to be able to be paired to the old iPad Pro 9.7, I cannot pair my pencil to the new iPad Air.
I’ve tried all of the usual stuff...forget Bluetooth connection from iPP, soft and hard resets of iPad Air, etc etc.

Help?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Try restarting the iPad with the pencil attached per this post:

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Try restarting the iPad with the pencil attached per this post:

Thanks.
I’ll give that a try.
[automerge]1590002428[/automerge]
Tried and failed twice doing that too.

Last edited:

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
OK - I've tried everything I can find that has been suggested here and elsewhere and nothing.

Interestingly, I can plug the Pencil in and get the old "unlock iPad to use accessory" notification, so it is acknowledging that it's there...just no Bluetooth or anything.

Tried with the old iPP again and boom...pairs straight away.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
After an online chat with Apple, one more option was tried, which ultimately paid off: Plug in and pair Apple Pencil to old iPad.
DO NOT unpair it from old iPad.

Plug it into the new iPad.
Paired.

It was so simple and yet was the last and most unlikely option.

Aggie88

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
Omaha
I also had a problem with my apple pencil 2 no longer pairing with my 2018 ipad pro. The internal battery had gone to zero. I tried all the typical fixes you see online to no avail. I read in one place only that someone heated up their pencil (don't know which version) to get it going. I figured I had nothing to lose since I've had it for 16 months and don't use it much.

I used a hairdryer on it for about 3 minutes or so to get it slightly warm to the touch and then attached it to my ipad. It immediately connected and started charging. It is now at 100 percent and I will see how it goes over the next few days. I just wanted to get this out there since I only saw it once in all my research. It is an unorthodox fix but it worked for me ... for now.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

HannaLee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020
Can anyone help me with 1st gen apple pencil it has same issue and I dont have any other ipad to check whether it is working or not?

HannaLee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020
I also had a problem with my apple pencil 2 no longer pairing with my 2018 ipad pro. The internal battery had gone to zero. I tried all the typical fixes you see online to no avail. I read in one place only that someone heated up their pencil (don't know which version) to get it going. I figured I had nothing to lose since I've had it for 16 months and don't use it much.

I used a hairdryer on it for about 3 minutes or so to get it slightly warm to the touch and then attached it to my ipad. It immediately connected and started charging. It is now at 100 percent and I will see how it goes over the next few days. I just wanted to get this out there since I only saw it once in all my research. It is an unorthodox fix but it worked for me ... for now.
Is your pencil still working fine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.