Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaseardoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I selected a pencil yesterday for 'pickup today' at my local store. Apple randomly cancelled that order.

I just got a call from Austin, TX apologizing for the inconvenience and letting me know the Pencil and Smart Keyboard are on hold for me at the store now. Anyone else get this?

Reactions: masotime

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
If you go in today could you ask if they're selling Pencils to walk-ins as well? I'm not in that area, but just wondering if stock is beginning to show up this afternoon.

Reactions: d28z28

chaseardoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
If you go in today could you ask if they're selling Pencils to walk-ins as well? I'm not in that area, but just wondering if stock is beginning to show up this afternoon.
Will do. I'm not in TX, assuming the call was from their campus there. She mentioned that if I don't pick up by Friday it will be released to the public for sale.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
All of the people I spoke with told me the only pencils stores got were for demo.

There's some speculation that this was intentional, and that the accessories were always planned to arrive for a Friday instore launch (in line with the original "online 11th, in store 13th" rumors).

chfenton

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I too just got a call from my local store telling me my pencil was in. I had ordered it at the same time with the pro and computer said was available yesterday but we know that was wrong. I'm going to pick it up now (picked up the pro last night). He said smart keyboards still not in (that was on my original order too.)

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I too just got a call from my local store telling me my pencil was in. I had ordered it at the same time with the pro and computer said was available yesterday but we know that was wrong. I'm going to pick it up now (picked up the pro last night). He said smart keyboards still not in (that was on my original order too.)

Ask if there will be available in store tomorrow! PLEASE!@

Reactions: d28z28

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Got my notification tonight, they said they will have some available in the morning to sell.
5ec62445aebc972e5300bafd9da83194.jpg

Retrogecko

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Probably foolish for me to hope this, but I wonder if the queue will be moved up tomorrow? Congrats to all the lucky new pencil owners :]

d28z28

Suspended
Apr 20, 2015
My nearest store is an hour and a half away. I really don't want to take the afternoon off to drive there to try to get a pencil and keyboard, but I will if there is some way they'll assure me that I can get them...I'll have to see how this goes.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
My local store is only a half an hour away so I think I'm just going to show up there at 8AM and see if they will sell me a Pencil and Keyboard.

Jethrox

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
Boulder, Colorado
Picked up the iPP yesterday and they had no pencils of keyboards. They did have a red logitech keyboard in stock that they "found". I had ordered a black one that was backordered...I can live with red.

I will camp out at the store tomorrow morning hoping for a pencil befor the 30th.

BTW, several pencils have be stolen from the store!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I did three orders yesterday. Pencil, then keyboard then ipp. I picked up my ipp, but they called me and tried to cancel my orders for the keyboard and pencil after saying they weren't in. I told them NO, do not cancel them. Good thing I stuck my ground, today I got the emails that both my pencil and keyboard came in. I have them now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My nearest store is an hour and a half away. I really don't want to take the afternoon off to drive there to try to get a pencil and keyboard, but I will if there is some way they'll assure me that I can get them...I'll have to see how this goes.

order online for pickup in store. not only does that tell you if its in stock it is prepaid and pulled off the shelf just for you. you'll get an email when its totally ready for you to come get it

d28z28

Suspended
Apr 20, 2015
order online for pickup in store. not only does that tell you if its in stock it is prepaid and pulled off the shelf just for you. you'll get an email when its totally ready for you to come get it

I already have an order in for the pencil and keyboard. I suppose I could put another order in then just cancel or send back whichever doesn't come first

riffola

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
I was one of the 6 or 7 people in the USA (as per Apple) who was able to order an Apple Pencil for pickup when the ordering opened. They didn't have them yesterday, I was called in today to collect it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.