Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
Found this out while charging the Apple Pencil for the first time. The cap magnetically sticks to the metallic ring at the top. So hopefully that's one less thing to worry about when charging the Pencil.

Before someone asks, I was one of the 6 or 7 people in the USA who was able to order an Apple Pencil for pickup when the ordering opened. They didn't have them yesterday, I was called in today to collect it.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 339
Last edited:

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Found this out while charging the Apple Pencil for the first time. The cap magnetically sticks to the metallic ring at the top. So hopefully that's one less thing to worry about when charging the Pencil.

Before someone asks, I was one of the 6 or 7 people in the USA who was able to order an Apple Pencil for pickup when the ordering opened. They didn't have them yesterday, I was called in today to collect it.

It was a big drama, some of the store staff was flippant about the order yesterday. I emailed Tim Cook. Apple's Executive relations took care of the rest.

From what I understand, the magnet doesn't help the Pencil attach to the side of the iPad Pro though, does it?

Congrats on getting the device.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
From what I understand, the magnet doesn't help the Pencil attach to the side of the iPad Pro though, does it?

Congrats on getting the device.

It sticks, but not well enough. I have my ipp on my lap on the keyboard, it already dropped off twice while typing (in the postion like the picture above). I see this cap getting lost.

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
Yeah, it's a very weak magnet, I fear losing the damn cap quickly. Also what's with the weird vent like circle at the top? Thought it was a button at first glance.

The magnet is in the cap to have it securely close when covering the Lightning connector.

Wish it stuck to the Smart Cover or the new Keyboard.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah, it's a very weak magnet, I fear losing the damn cap quickly. Also what's with the weird vent like circle at the top? Thought it was a button at first glance.

The magnet is in the cap to have it securely close when covering the Lightning connector.

Wish it stuck to the Smart Cover or the new Keyboard.

FYI... The cap will sitck to anywhere on the keyboard where the ipp and keyboard meet. Just above the number keys. I think that is much much stronger of a magnetic bond.

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
FYI... The cap will sitck to anywhere on the keyboard where the ipp and keyboard meet. Just above the number keys. I think that is much much stronger of a magnetic bond.
That's good to know, thanks!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Oh, another thing. I just finished fully charging it. The entire pencil will sit between the number keys and the ipp itself. It sits there nicely. I think this is where I will leave it when I have it in the keyboard position.

riffola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
Can't wait to pickup the Keyboard soon. I was worried about it rolling off all day today.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Does the charging adapter attach to anything magnetically?

I wish someone would post detailed pictures of one ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.