Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I just started with my first PRO iPhone (15 PRO) and have been playing a bit with HEIF/RAW/PRORAW to see if for my uses I "need" to deal with the large file sizes - especially the ProRAW ones. I notice in the Photos app on my iPhone and iPad that when I look at the information about a photo it gives the sensor size that was used for the shot (12MP, 24MP and 48MP) which is nice. But on the macOS Photos app that isn't given - all the other information (camera, lens, resolution dimensions, file size) is there and agrees with my iPhone, but not the sensor.
Anyone else notice this also? Thanks.

Reactions: arkitect

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I just started with my first PRO iPhone (15 PRO) and have been playing a bit with HEIF/RAW/PRORAW to see if for my uses I "need" to deal with the large file sizes - especially the ProRAW ones. I notice in the Photos app on my iPhone and iPad that when I look at the information about a photo it gives the sensor size that was used for the shot (12MP, 24MP and 48MP) which is nice. But on the macOS Photos app that isn't given - all the other information (camera, lens, resolution dimensions, file size) is there and agrees with my iPhone, but not the sensor.
Anyone else notice this also? Thanks.
Which system do you have on your Mac? As said in other threads Photos is pretty buggy regarding RAW photos
For example it doesn't recognize the lenses I'm using with my Sony A7IV: Tamron , Sigma lenses are all the same for Photos. All Sony🙄
With your iPhone, your macOS should speak the same language I suppose but both don't are so sophisticated with RAW formats. Maybe you need another app that reads the sensor

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Which system do you have on your Mac? As said in other threads Photos is pretty buggy regarding RAW photos
For example it doesn't recognize the lenses I'm using with my Sony A7IV: Tamron , Sigma lenses are all the same for Photos. All Sony🙄
With your iPhone, your macOS should speak the same language I suppose but both don't are so sophisticated with RAW formats. Maybe you need another app that reads the sensor
The RAW files are from the iPhone itself not a digital camera so any issues Photos (which is the newest version) and RAW shouldn’t be a consideration. I would assume that macOS and iOS read Apple’s own files the same. Just photos in MacOS doesnt display something that Photos on iOS does.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Yeah I do see that this piece is missing, but it is the same as the pixel dimensions so it is redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.