Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackniksmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Hi iOS 10 users,

Just wondering if Apple has improved the way in which Photos optimizes storage ?

Currently photos waits until your storage is almost empty before it begins optimizing the storage, but this seems to be really buggy or just doesn't work at all.

Have Apple changed the way in which it works ? Added a 'Optimize Now' button ? etc etc.

Would anyone be able to send a screenshot of the Photos settings page ?

Thanks

Jack

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Currently photos waits until your storage is almost empty before it begins optimizing the storage...

I'm sorry but this is not true, or not in all cases. I recently (9.3.2) turned on iCloud for Photos, and it has already optimized them on my 6s+ which has 47GB free. If I try to edit or zoom in on them a downloading countdown clock icon appears, and I have to wait a few seconds. These are photos that were taken with this same phone.

Are you looking in the desktop iTunes at "Other" by any chance?

jackniksmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I'm sorry but this is not true, or not in all cases. I recently (9.3.2) turned on iCloud for Photos, and it has already optimized them on my 6s+ which has 47GB free. If I try to edit or zoom in on them a downloading countdown clock icon appears, and I have to wait a few seconds. These are photos that were taken with this same phone.

Are you looking in the desktop iTunes at "Other" by any chance?

No from the phone, I have the 128gb model, my photos being the biggest part of the phone. When I contacted Apple about this I was told that Photos only optimizes when storage is running out. Obviously I could have been told wrong, but either way I would like to know if they have improved the feature.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Even with the updates to Photos in iOS 10, it's things like this that will make it hard for me to switch away from Google Photos, which offers much more control over such things.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
No from the phone, I have the 128gb model, my photos being the biggest part of the phone. When I contacted Apple about this I was told that Photos only optimizes when storage is running out. Obviously I could have been told wrong, but either way I would like to know if they have improved the feature.

I have 38GB free and mine are optimised already.

Apple help desk people are not always correct you know.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got the 64 GB iPhone with 40 GB of photos / videos in my iCloud Photo Library. It usually stores around 9GB on my actual device.

(33GB free)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
When you take photos on your phone they will not automatically be optimized unless you are running low on space. Photos added via IPL will be optimized until you view them, then remain unoptimized until the phone decided to optimize them as needed. And of course the optimization setting needs to have been enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.