Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
The last thing children need is to be exposed to more wi-fi, especially without parents having any way to opt out.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
And without unions, I'd imagine the south would be taught even less about evolution... >_>;

I'm not sure what your point is. What does the ability to put good teachers in the classroom have to do with teaching a valid and respected scientific theory?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not sure what your point is. What does the ability to put good teachers in the classroom have to do with teaching a valid and respected scientific theory?

You brought up how bad teachers can't be replaced without removing unions, and I countered why we still need them.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Microsoft is making Windows available at discounted prices and offering 12 million free copies of Microsoft Office software

Wow, not only cheap (discounted prices), but also not living up to the expectation Obama has and promised 15 million students before en dog the 2nd year of this endeavour; so M$ expects to have 3 million students, steal MS Office software over bit torrent?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Wow, not only cheap (discounted prices), but also not living up to the expectation Obama has and promised 15 million students before en dog the 2nd year of this endeavour; so M$ expects to have 3 million students, steal MS Office software over bit torrent?

There's just no pleasing some people.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
"And Microsoft is making Windows available at discounted prices and offering 12 million free copies of Microsoft Office software."

This is why I laugh when people who like Microsoft call Apple greedy.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
"And Microsoft is making Windows available at discounted prices and offering 12 million free copies of Microsoft Office software."

This is why I laugh when people who like Microsoft call Apple greedy.

Microsoft is greedy, Apple is greedy, Google is greedy. All companies are made with the primary cause of making money. If they give something away, it is likely a calculated cost.

People who like Microsoft and call Apple greedy generally won't say that Microsoft isn't. They just think that Apple is greedier.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
People who like Microsoft and call Apple greedy generally won't say that Microsoft isn't. They just think that Apple is greedier.

Microsoft Windows 8 costs $??? vs. Apple Mavericks = $???
Microsoft Office = $??? vs. Apple iLife = $???

Not always greedy. Hardware and software companies make their profit in different ways. Those that make the great profits win. Those that make less profit simply struggle.

It used to be that Microsoft made software and Apple made hardware. With both creating both, they still need to keep focus on their primary business for making their profit.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
This is great news. It is inexcusable that schools in America still don't have broadband and modern computers. I hope this initiative is successful and has a quick rollout.

low taxes on rich people gives us that plus the most expensive healthcare in the world.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Not always greedy. Hardware and software companies make their profit in different ways. Those that make the great profits win. Those that make less profit simply struggle.

Office vs iLife? Not even the same type of software. I assume you mean iWork... which is laughable. Seriously laughable. I don't think you can compare the products because of the sheer difference in quality, features, and so forth.

As for the OS, you pay for the OS when you buy a Mac. That's part of the reason why a Mac is more expensive (on average) than a comparable PC. It isn't a huge amount, but it still exists. Windows 8 had a cost of 40$ for a while, by the way, so that isn't so bad.

We can debate how the two companies are greedy in different ways all day if you'd like.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
low taxes on rich people gives us that plus the most expensive healthcare in the world.

I don't know what you're talking about. Tax breaks for the rich and expensive health care have absolutely no effect on companies building out their broadband networks. Simply put, the areas with the worst internet are areas where there are large amounts of land and very few people (the country).

The issue here is that schools need broadband to have access to all the modern tools that are being developed. Perhaps you could argue that by taxing the rich more, that would provide the necessary money for the government to build out the network. I would say there is more than enough money in the budget (we need to stop wasting it on defense contractors) and that if the government does provide the broadband using taxpayers $$, it should be free.

If I misunderstood what you were trying to say, please let me know...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As the spouse of a teacher for 22 years, I'll add:

4 - Require parents to become more involved. Not necessarily at the school itself, but in their child's education. No matter how much money is spent, how much (or little) teachers are paid, or how many hours the kids spend in school, or how many standardized tests they take, the most consistent and determining factor is the parents.

Right! I can't believe I left that off! I'll edit my post to include that.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

It used to be that Microsoft made software and Apple made hardware. With both creating both, they still need to keep focus on their primary business for making their profit.

Apple makes up for the cost of these software sets with the margins on their hardware.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
You brought up how bad teachers can't be replaced without removing unions, and I countered why we still need them.

No, you 'countered' with a mention of evolution and 'the south' (uncapitalized, but I assume you meant the southern half of the U.S.). So again, what specifically do unions have to do with the Theory of Evolution?

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The way government wastes money, it should be CONnected. The feds can't get a web site done right, how are they going to get a network to work properly?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Knowing me Windows 8 was a huge loss and they need to recoup somehow. Then again nobody would even take Windows 8 for free.

I have to use a combination of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. For business and 8, 8.1 is garbage. It confuses people no end and there are constant network issues with it. Would take XP over 8.

Of course if we had the budget i'd love Macs but 3x the price and corporate won't pay lol.

I know when I was in high school and college, my teachers sucked at utilizing technology for teaching. Does anyone have insight into how teachers are doing these days with technology? Is it helping them teach in more advanced and impacting ways or not?

Yea school taught us sod all, looking back they knew nothing but it was a differnt computing age. These days we are far more aware of tech. What surprises me is the amount of I.T tutors these days who have insufficient knowledge.

So other companies are pledging free services or 100 million dollars in money or products but Microsoft is offering 12 million copies of Office and "discounts" on windows?
:rolleyes:

Says it all really but after Windows 8 they can't afford to waste money. Besides this comes from a company that likes to rent you a licence for a word processor. =/

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It's funny that all these companies are pledging hardware, broadband and real money, yet MS says, well you can use something we've already created that effectively costs us nothing to give.

Then again...they don't have much else to offer. Oh wait, money!

What have Microsoft got to do with this?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No, you 'countered' with a mention of evolution and 'the south' (uncapitalized, but I assume you meant the southern half of the U.S.). So again, what specifically do unions have to do with the Theory of Evolution?

If not form unions, teachers in certain southern states would be fired for teaching some other than religion ... I mean 'intelligent design'.

----------

What have Microsoft got to do with this?

Nothing. We can't go a single topic without bashing the competition, though, you should know that.

----------

I have to use a combination of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. For business and 8, 8.1 is garbage. It confuses people no end and there are constant network issues with it. Would take XP over 8.

Of course if we had the budget i'd love Macs but 3x the price and corporate won't pay lol.

Yea school taught us sod all, looking back they knew nothing but it was a differnt computing age. These days we are far more aware of tech. What surprises me is the amount of I.T tutors these days who have insufficient knowledge.

Says it all really but after Windows 8 they can't afford to waste money. Besides this comes from a company that likes to rent you a licence for a word processor. =/

If people are confused by 8.1, that says more about them.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Well genius.... not a bad advice but how exactly do you know it is a sh***** comment until you read it? If you have figured out away, I would be glad to know it. It would be valuable in this forum.

What? Did I upset you? Shouldn't have read my comment. Lol. At. You.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..When President Obama announced this goal last June, only one in five students had access to a broadband Internet connection.

Article Link: Apple Pledges $100 Million in Equipment to President Obama's ConnectED Initiative for Schools

Iow, 80% of students don't have access to broadband Internet. Wow! A statistic that really surprised me. These initiatives are great, as this will engage our young minds at their peak learning age, and can only help with the longterm goal of a better educated population.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Where is the line drawn to distinguish 'broadband' from everything else? Is there a clear definition?

I believe at one point it was anything above 256Kbps. But I'm not sure if that's changed, officially. As far as I'm concerned you need to provide at least 5Mbps up and down before I'd call it broadband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.