Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
Will Apple ever make another printer? I'd like to get one if they ever made another, like a LaserWriter III. They have a TV thing out now, but still no printer!!! Is there a reason they stopped making the LaserWriter?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Will Apple ever make another printer? I'd like to get one if they ever made another, like a LaserWriter III. They have a TV thing out now, but still no printer!!! Is there a reason they stopped making the LaserWriter?

Is there a reason why you want an Apple printer?

Yeah, I am sure Apple will sell many $500 printers in the world of $50 printers.

Retired
May 16, 2006
There are so many problems with printers/scanners these days, we need apple to fix those problems.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
I just was wondering. I would buy one though if they came out with it, because I'm sure it would be near perfect, take only a small amount of my desk space, and work great with my Apple computer.

Is there a reason Apple stopped making the LaserWriter?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I just was wondering. I would buy one though if they came out with it, because I'm sure it would be near perfect, take only a small amount of my desk space, and work great with my Apple computer.

Not going to happen. Apple may be great but even their iPhone looks like a bulky hunk of electronics. Even His Steveness has to obey the laws of physics.

Is there a reason Apple stopped making the LaserWriter?

Cos it is not profitable... and vertical integration is so 1980s?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
lol, even if apple make one, u can't be sure its not a re-branded dell or hp, why spend extra $$$ just for the name of "apple"?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
If they put in a Airport card, we could just print wirelessly, without any other installation, would be quite cool. And as someone said, there is a lot wrong with printers at the moment, it wold be nice if apple "fixed" everything.
But I still don't ever see it happening again, I mean apple made a camera once, in their younger years they were just pumping out any random product from their labs, until one made a hit...I'm soo happy apple changed their business plan. This one seems to work a bit better.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Actually, this would make a great from-out-of-left-field special media event. Perhaps when Steve Jobs becomes a bit more senile and feeble-minded we may see this. I, for one, would find this utterly amusing.

"I can view Google maps; there're people at the Eiffel Tower, let's see the Roman Colosseum... on my printer! Amazing, truly remarkable... isn't this incredible? I can print directions just by pressing this button, without even using my computer! It also otomatically syncs with my computer -- I choose the one I prefer, a Mac, but it could be a PC too -- and boom, my photos just appear on the printer. Amazing. See? Boom. Simple."

I

itsme92

If they put in a Airport card, we could just print wirelessly, without any other installation, would be quite cool. And as someone said, there is a lot wrong with printers at the moment, it wold be nice if apple "fixed" everything.
But I still don't ever see it happening again, I mean apple made a camera once, in their younger years they were just pumping out any random product from their labs, until one made a hit...I'm soo happy apple changed their business plan. This one seems to work a bit better.

When I got an HP Photosmart 6180 all-in-one last month, all I had to do was plug it in, select my wireless network, and enter the password. I don't see how you can improve much on that. (Now, to use the scanner I needed to install software on my computer, but that's not such a big deal)

I guess I just don't get what's "broken" with printers these days. They work fine for me :confused:

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Well I suppose the Printer can have a integrated 10" touch screen monitor on it so you can view a virtual sheet of paper slowly get printed on as some kind of progress indicator. Then you can also connect a USB hard disk into the integrated USB port to listen to your iTunes songs while you wait through the built in iPod Hifi.

Would be amusing to see the progress indicator zoom by for a laser printer too :rolleyes:

TJIrwin

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
London, UK
Isn't the progress indicater the bit of paper sticking out of the front slowly getting filled with ink/toner? Always worked for me when I need to find out how my printing is going along. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.