Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How long do you think Apple will last as a company ?

• Forever, the Apple never dies

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Probably not forever, but well beyond my lifetime and many others too

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Maybe another 50 years ?

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Probably 20 years and some new company will outsmart it

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • It will end , right now ..but first let me purchase a new macbook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple doesn’t exist anyway, it’s a lie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is Tim Cook speaking, I’ve just got out of my cryo chamber and I’m launching the iPhone 500

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
Experts predict that its not a case of ”if” but “when” the tech company will be destroyed, either by bankruptcy or another company that can provide better and more revolutionary tech at a more affordable, rate.
A quote from an ex Apple executive
Apple is eventually doomed. Yes, the most valuable company on the planet will slowly fade into stagnant mediocrity. It will be replaced by something that they will not predict and they will not see coming. This horrifically efficient culling is a fact of life in technology because it is an industry populated by a demographic intent not on building a better mousetrap, but who avidly ask, “Why the hell do we need mousetraps?”

Apple’s doom will start quietly and I doubt anyone can predict how it will actually begin. It will be historians who, decades from now, will easily pin its demise to a single event that will appear obvious given years of quantifiable insight.”

Experst predict that Apple using tech in cars or even releasing their own cars will start the downward trajectory of the company citing a “jump the shark“ moment although the odds of Apple going bankrupt in 2022 onwards is as of today less than 1%. The iPhone will also “apparently“ be completely obsolete by 2032 stating that phones will not exist and will be replaced my augmented reality tech.
So the tech giant is solid today but could lose its strangelgold rapidly if not careful,would you miss apple if it went bust?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Ah an Apple is doomed story, what a refreshing contribution. And low and behold, of course none of these experts is linked to or named or actually quoted.

This, dear following reader, is the same person that claimed Apple would likely be sabotaging USB-C charging for third party chargers on MacBooks, just for reference.

Of course it’s common sense that nothing lasts forever, but that is not any assessment of Apple’s ongoing success story.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They are thinking in old school computer terms, Apple is going full throttle cross country with their shift to a unified hardware platform.

This alone should give people pause, as any tech evolution needed for single gadget in their ecosystem can quickly be shared across all devices.

Think this, the AR/VR glasses would likely require several leaps for Apple to get the product into a mature state that the iPhone is currently at. Which likely benefits the iPads/iPhones/MacBooks/etc. rather quickly.

As will the tech for self driving cars.

This is solely the benefit of a unified hardware platform, think how quickly the world will cry monopoly if Apple added a unified OS platform to the mix.

So 1 vote for Apple becoming an evil overlord.

Last edited:

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
Yet another Apple is Doomed story. Apple will last a very long time. The Economist had and article about this several years ago. The thesis was that companies like Dell which are focussed on making one kind of product are vulnerable. In Dell’s case, once people stop buying PCs or if someone can make PCs at 1/10th The price then Dell is screwed and will have to scramble to find a new business.

Apple, on the other hand, is not tied to one product. Their business is to bring high tech to consumers. They have transitioned from the Apple computer to the Mac to the iPod to the iPhone, to iPhone plus iPads etc.

If it looks like iPhones are fading away then Apple is well positioned to change lanes to the new technology. We don’t know what the future holds, but you have to think that with their powerful cash flow, huge amount of IP, and huge number of very talented engineers Apple is ready to meet the future.

Reactions: George Dawes

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Experts predict that its not a case of ”if” but “when” the tech company will be destroyed, either by bankruptcy or another company that can provide better and more revolutionary tech at a more affordable, rate.
Apple is eventually doomed. Yes, the most valuable company on the planet will slowly fade into stagnant mediocrity. It will be replaced by something that they will not predict and they will not see coming. This horrifically efficient culling is a fact of life in technology because it is an industry populated by a demographic intent not on building a better mousetrap, but who avidly ask, “Why the hell do we need mousetraps?”

Apple’s doom will start quietly and I doubt anyone can predict how it will actually begin. It will be historians who, decades from now, will easily pin its demise to a single event that will appear obvious given years of quantifiable insight.”

Experst predict that Apple using tech in cars or even releasing their own cars will start the downward trajectory of the company citing a “jump the shark“ moment although the odds of Apple going bankrupt in 2022 onwards is as of today less than 1%. The iPhone will also “apparently“ be completely obsolete by 2032 stating that phones will not exist and will be replaced my augmented reality tech.
So the tech giant is solid today but could lose its strangelgold rapidly if not careful,would you miss apple if it went bust?
Do you actually believe what you’re writing here?

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
Will Apple eventually go bankrupt/ be sold? Yes. Most companies have a lifespan of 18 years, but in the past it was 61 years. See https://www.imd.org/research-knowle...probably-live-longer-than-most-big-companies/

The oldest company in the world was started around 578AD, and most of the other oldest companies were started around 1000AD. See https://www.statista.com/statistics/1259761/oldest-companies-worldwide/ for more information.

The oldest information technology related company is IBM, which was started about 100 years ago. See https://researchsnipers.com/ibm-is-the-oldest-tech-company-that-exists-today/

My opinion: Apple has a high chance of going bankrupt or being brought out someday, however not in my lifetime.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
•••••••••••••••••••••••••A Bridge•••••••••••••••••••••••••

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You just love trolling all of my posts don’t you, perhaps you should get a hobby and a life , just saying :)

I love reading and responding to them. And that’s the nature of the forum. You post, others respond. You cannot guarantee that the response will be in your favour or that others agree but such is life. I’ll keep it to the topic and you please make sure you provide context and facts to your claims.

Up until now, these experts you claim to talk about aren’t quoted or referenced.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Humans will evolve, one day we won’t need external computers.

They will in time be integrated in our own brains.
Most things works that way in life. We need to see it before we can be it.
Computers are changing our way of thinking and the best part are adapted unconsciously.

I am from the future just making a retro journey to correct a memory leak 😉

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Obviously, they won’t exist for the entire future of the universe, but they still have a long, long future ahead.
Apple is basically like Pepsi or Kleenex, they just exist and probably will my and our entire lifetime.
The difference is that Apple is only 46 years old, while Pepsi is 124 and Kleenex is 98.
In fact in the tech world, Apple is still quite young. Obviously, not as young as the Internet based start ups like Google or Facebook, but they’re younger than Intel, AMD, Samsung has almost 4 decades on apple.
Motorola was formed in the 20s.

Lloigorr

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
Germany
I think it‘s common sense that Apple is eternal and will be around when the last stars in the known universe are burnt up.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: thv

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Seriously how do these kinds of post keep popping up here?

YouTubers looking for click data, people with no clue, artists with flaky unrealistic ideas based on whyms or some utopia???

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Obviously, they won’t exist for the entire future of the universe, but they still have a long, long future ahead.
Apple is basically like Pepsi or Kleenex, they just exist and probably will my and our entire lifetime.
The difference is that Apple is only 46 years old, while Pepsi is 124 and Kleenex is 98.
In fact in the tech world, Apple is still quite young. Obviously, not as young as the Internet based start ups like Google or Facebook, but they’re younger than Intel, AMD, Samsung has almost 4 decades on apple.
Motorola was formed in the 20s.
I didn't realize Kleenex is that old...Pepsi yes.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
"Experts": Apple will be gone by 1998. 🤣

Apple Computer Company (1976–1977) evolved into Apple Computer, Inc. (1977–2007) which evolved into Apple Inc.

Clearly Apple's products continue to evolve as does their customer base.

Reactions: decafjava

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I mean we are all doomed. But, Tim Apple has a strong strangelgold...

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I would say Apple has a long life ahead of it. But even though it has the resources to weather the storms of technological disruption for many decades, this does not guarantee that it will remain a good investment in perpetuity.

Reactions: decafjava

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
Nothing lasts forever, but I don't see them going anywhere in my lifetime. And more importantly ... phones aren't going to be replaced by anything other than newer phones. AR isn't going to ever replace anything. It's incredibly gimmicky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.