Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Goodwood

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
So Face ID will allow anyone to grab your phone and hold your head in the correct position and open your phone instantly. With a decent passcode it will take them quite some time to try every combination, maybe days or longer. So seems to me it makes your phone less secure. Kind of like those building access locks that use a thumb print. The crooks will just have to take your Thumb with then then.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Seriously, when I first experienced notifications magically becoming full message previews when I glanced at my new iPhone 11 Pro Max a few years ago, it felt like I was in the future.

This is undoubtedly the coolest smartphone feature of the past few years.

Sometimes the quick unlock is annoying too. There are moments when I want it turned off or have a slider again to confirm unlocking. When I have the phone next to my Mac at work and a notification comes in, it unlocks too quickly because it sometimes "thinks" I am looking at it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Twins and sibligns can open even parents phones. The "1 in a million chances" is bogus.
Touch id is MUCH more safe in actual real life. Not even twins can unlock each other phone!.
Faceid is the leas secure option,why nobody "has catch up" yet?: nobody is so silly to make a HUGE hole in the phone screen as Apple. Not a technical reason.
Why Appke has not opted ofr under display touch id?: App,e does not want to pay for the tech. Apple does not invetn, Apple just buys chinese engineering. Accept it.

I'd take Face ID over Touch ID everyday all day.

Countless times Touch ID fails to register my fingerprint and i have to enter a passcode which defeats the purpose...especially if i've just washed my hands.

Meanwhile Face ID has never let me down. Especially after they allowed mask recognition.

Can't wait for Face ID to come to Mac.

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
Is using facial recognition to unlock a smartphone supposed to offer an "exclusive experience"?

Every new smartphone has had it for at least 5 years by 2024. Yes, perhaps the "Face ID" on Android is less privacy-oriented, but that's not the focus of this advertisement.

I don't get it.

• Disagree
Reactions: dustin_

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Big deal. Happens to me every morning when I have morning hair and before I put on my glasses. Give me Touch ID any day

You know you can set up multiple "faces". I have a version of me with glasses, and without. Done. Also, FaceID works much better when you are sweaty from exercise, or wet coming out of the shower. TouchID doesn't work so well with pruny fingers.

Darkmom05

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I really dislike Face ID compared to finger prints. It mostly works but when it doesn't it's really frustrating - typically cause of a respirator I'm wearing (painters mask, N95, N99 etc.). Much prefer my s22's finger print which is lightning quick. Only thing I do value about face ID is because of the fact it's there we get depth scans of the ears/face which helps spatial audio be the leading solution in the market. So I put up with it but do wish we had finger prints.
Apple has a huge problem with the finger ID. it fails to set up & function. Apple has failed to repair this issue. the technology is old. I had finger ID on iPhone a 'long" time ago. but my 13promax-no finger ID or Studio --dysfunctional. it is embarassing that Apple has become so complacent that it refuses to repair this finger ID failure.! im about ready to sue them! wake up Apple!

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
So Face ID will allow anyone to grab your phone and hold your head in the correct position and open your phone instantly. With a decent passcode it will take them quite some time to try every combination, maybe days or longer. So seems to me it makes your phone less secure. Kind of like those building access locks that use a thumb print. The crooks will just have to take your Thumb with then then.
While not being an expert in law, I do believe that would come with a much heavier charge. Also, there is the practical reality of it... Not as easy as all that to cut someones digits off. Takes some kind of psychopath/sociapath that likely is already doing heavier crime then stealing phones.

IF this was a thing that was happening, we would already know of it. It would be all over the news. Are you kidding me? iPhone users getting their finger cut off would be headline sugar the news outlets would kill for.

Considering that iPhones are easy to locate after getting stolen.. A crime such as that would be high priority to pursue and police would be using "Find My iPhone" on the regular to catch criminals...finally.

Which is why this is just not a thing in reality.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
You know you can set up multiple "faces". I have a version of me with glasses, and without. Done. Also, FaceID works much better when you are sweaty from exercise, or wet coming out of the shower. TouchID doesn't work so well with pruny fingers.
Yes I have stored both my face with and without glasses, still fails regularly when I have a morning face and hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.