Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 9.3 over the air tonight and got stuck at the activation screen like a lot of others. I was forced to do an iTunes recovery restore. When I did, iTunes downloaded iOS 9.2.1 and installed that rather than 9.3. After everything was up and running again, I had iTunes check for updates and it said there were none and that iOS 9.2.1 is the lastest.

It looks like Apple pulled the iOS 9.3 for iPad 2, at least through iTunes (since I just did the OTA update). I expect we'll see a 9.3.1 very soon.

Reactions: steven.ieslive

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
iTunes.
My colleague had a problem with activation via OTA and I solved with a DFU restore

Are you sure it installed iOS 9.3 and not 9.2.1? I didn't have any of the iOS updates downloaded in YouTube and when I did a recovery restore it downloaded 9.2.1 and installed that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Are you sure it installed iOS 9.3 and not 9.2.1? I didn't have any of the iOS updates downloaded in YouTube and when I did a recovery restore it downloaded 9.2.1 and installed that.
Absolutely sure... Maybe you messed up something reverting back to iOS 9.2.1

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Figures. Had to restore mine and it wouldn't detect a new update.
Sad that Apple already considers the iPad Air an old device though!

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
A mobile device that is 2.5 years old is an older device, Apple or otherwise.
Sure but considering it is still only one generation older than the current iPad until the new one actually ships, it's pretty grim sounding.
I have the iPad 2 and have no intention to get a new one until it literally dies!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure but considering it is still only one generation older than the current iPad until the new one actually ships, it's pretty grim sounding.
I have the iPad 2 and have no intention to get a new one until it literally dies!
It's just the reality of it all. As soon as a new version of something is out even the previous one is basically considered old in a sense, in particular in an industry like this one where things are progressing pretty fast. (And in a sense even more so if the device is no longer officially on sale.)

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I just managed to update my iPad 2 OTA. I signed out of iCloud first, just to be sure. Now I have an undeletable iCloud back up probably caused by my iPad making a backup while it was previously stuck in an unable to activate state.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I updated my iPad Mini 1 just fine yesterday. There seems to be an issue with older devices asking for an additional login with an old password for some reason. I seem to recall being asked to log into iCloud more than once, but I haven't changed my iCloud password in the three years I've had it (not great, but it is supposedly a strong alphanumeric password at least!).

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I updated my iPad Mini 1 just fine yesterday. There seems to be an issue with older devices asking for an additional login with an old password for some reason. I seem to recall being asked to log into iCloud more than once, but I haven't changed my iCloud password in the three years I've had it (not great, but it is supposedly a strong alphanumeric password at least!).

That's what Apple is claiming the problem was, with the activation lock. The actual problem was that the devices refused to activate claiming the activation server was unreachable. That's why I signed out of iCloud first, to get passed that, even though I read Apple put up a fixed version of iOS 9.3 for iPad 2s.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2016
I DFU restored my 5s to 9.3 and set up as new and I didn't have any activation problems, can I stay on this build, would it be a problem if I continue to use it?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Figures. Had to restore mine and it wouldn't detect a new update.
Sad that Apple already considers the iPad Air an old device though!
iPad Air IS an old device.
Still valid, but old nonetheless
[doublepost=1458893057][/doublepost]
I DFU restored my 5s to 9.3 and set up as new and I didn't have any activation problems, can I stay on this build, would it be a problem if I continue to use it?
Keep it

tStorm

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
The following has happened to me and my iPad 2 so far:

1. Updated to 9.2.1 a week ago through my Mac.
2. Got an update notification for 9.3 today.
3. Downloaded update failed to install because "you are not connected to the internet". Which I was.
4. Deleted the downloaded update, reset network settings, rebooted.
5. Got a red badge saying 9.3 update available. But clicking on it says that I have the latest OS, 9.2.1.
6. Connected iPad to mac which now cannot communicate to my "unauthorized iPad".

The badge for the update remains.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
As I posted earlier in another thread, Apple classed it as a current model only 5 days ago and it was only released a few weeks before the current Mac Pro went on sale but that's opening another can of worms. :D
The entire Mac Pro matter is utterly ridiculous: Apple should discontinue or update it.

Speaking about iPad Air I think we are arguing about semantic. The iPad air is classed as CURRENT because it was in their stores until .... yesterday ! :D
It is still supported, and it will be for a few years, and serviced. And as I said it still is a valid tablet.

But it's a 2,5 years old device, nonetheless, so in IT terms it is "an old device".

The iPad 2 is anther matter. It is old by any standard nowadays.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009

If you 5s didn't get stuck activating there's no need to update again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.