Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iCloud drive requires Yosemite, and if you activate it on your iDevice it warns you that any computer running anything lower than Yosemite wont have access to iCloud-stored numbers and pages documents. So on wednesday when iOS8 goes live, everyone will lose cloud access to numbers and pages until yosemite releases? that doesnt sound good.

Anyone not on Yosemite will be able to access iCloud Drive via iCloud.com

i think/hope that when the investigation gives results a bunch of arrests will be made and the deepweb ring of collectors will be dissolved, bringing to light this was not icloud specific, but a wide effort to hack into any and all celebrity's accounts. iCloud is a popular feature, it's not a surprise a lot of celebrities use it.

I thought it had already been said it wasn't all iCloud? Some of the celebs didn't even have an iPhone. Also they were gathered over a few years, rather than one big smash and grab. Mostly down to weak passwords/security questions.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've been out of the loop of things the past bit. Never heard of this feature. Looks promising.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty obvious - the SMS stuff requires Yosemite.

Yes and no. I believe you can have the SMS with just two devices like iphone and iPad. So they might be waiting for the ipad launch. Releasing two many features together might cause server issues. Best to go slow.

As for iCloud Photo Library, yes they might be waiting for yosemite both for server and practical reasons. After all, most folks photos are on their computer. So getting all photos in the icloud will need that piece

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
SMS is working on both my iPad with GM, and my Mac running the latest beta. I think what they are referring to is the "continuity" function only; where you start typing an SMS on iPhone/iPad, and can continue it on say the Mac, or other iOS device. Phone calls are now also working between iPad/iPhone/Mac, they were not prior to the GM seeds, at least for me.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Totally off topic, but I'd forgotten that I installed the Butt to Butt extension on my browser at work. It's unexpectedly made this thread the funniest thing I've read all week. :D

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I just used iOS 8 final on my iPad to send an SMS message and it worked fine. SMS relay works, so I don't think the article is accurate.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Just to add...

Just confirming about the topic at hand, I WAS able to send text messages to other people with the iPad Mini through the phone yesterday, but I think they remotely disabled it. I thought it was interesting that there was no settings available in the GM re: SMS and phone call forwarding. I even got a phone call forwarded to my iPad this morning. I am also running Yosemite Beta 2. Continuity and the like sort of worked, but it wasn't reliably working.
A couple days ago I was able to send SMS on the Macbook Pro. I guess I can not do that now.
I never had iCloud Photo beta available, so I can not speak for that.
Funny thing is, Instant Hotspot still works, as of now.

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
My guess as well. Along with Continuity - it's literally useless without Yosemite; so delaying it to October is a reasonably clear sign that Yosemite is coming in October.

My guess is that post-GM developer betas of iOS 8 will become available to continue to test Continuity with beta Yosemite.

SMS relay doesn't totally depend unp on Yosemite. It also works on an iPad and iPod touch from the main iPhone, so there must be a different reason

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Still got iCloud Photo Library in GM here, Photo Library is labelled beta.

Also, there's iCloud Drive on the iCloud.com beta. They could add iCloud Photo Library there too.

In Yosemite beta, I'm using shared photo streams to get photos from iCloud Photo Library to iPhoto.

Does this work in reverse?

----------

Guess I need to go cancel all that extra iCloud storage I bought yesterday. Without iCloud Photos the 5GB is plenty for right now.

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
SMS is working on both my iPad with GM, and my Mac running the latest beta. I think what they are referring to is the "continuity" function only; where you start typing an SMS on iPhone/iPad, and can continue it on say the Mac, or other iOS device. Phone calls are now also working between iPad/iPhone/Mac, they were not prior to the GM seeds, at least for me.

I agree 100%. They say SMS Continuity, which would infer that you can continue it on a Mac or other iOS device. Throughout this whole period with iOS 8, they called it SMS and Phone Relay, so I really believe they were talking about what you said. It wouldn't make sense to take away SMS relay if it works on an iPad and iPod touch too.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Anyone not on Yosemite will be able to access iCloud Drive via iCloud.com

I think what he meant is that Pages and Numbers (apps) will no longer be able to load files from iCloud directly (unless you export them to your desktop from icloud.com first) nor to save them (unless you import them from your desktop to icloud.com afterward).

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
They never got photostreams to work reliably. Probably they found too many bugs and realized people are fed up with apple's unreliable cloud services. So if it means everything will work fine later on, I'm not complaining.

Also, they might want to release it together with the new photo app on Yosemite. It was always unclear to me how they would deal with sync in that in between period.

I have never had a problem with photo streams. Individual and shared have been flawless for us since the shared ones came out.

What kind of problem are you having?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Apple doesn't do well with cloud related functionality so hopefully they are pushing it back to make it more reliable so we don't have another debacle.

Bielski

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
Well, this is mildly disappointing. I was looking forward to using iCloud Photo Library to leverage upgrading myself to the iPhone Plus 16GB instead of the 64GB iPhone 6 (I know, wtf why?! I had a long discussion about this with my good homie yesterday and we both arrived at this conclusion since we stream everything with an unlimited plan). Hopefully it'll be ready when I'm ready to get my iPhone Plus.

I was think the same way you are, but does the cloud storage of your photo library depend on how much iCloud Drive storage you purchase? Or does it not count against it at all. My main library is rather extensive at about 300gb. Right now my 16gb iPhone's storage is getting eaten up by the photo stream saving duplicate copies of every picture I take in my Camera Roll until I can download the camera roll or organize the photostream in iPhoto.

Last edited:

RobbieBott

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Still There

I'm running the GM build on my 5S and iPad Mini and both have the option for iCloud Library. Yes it does say beta but the option is there and hasn't been removed from iOS 8.

Continuity working just fine for all my devices as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.