Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I love Fantastical on my Macs...But I haven't tried Fantastical on my iPhone. I don't see what the purpose of it is.

Funny, I'm exactly the opposite of you. I bought both. I find it very handy on my iPhone because the interface is so smooth and well thought out, but to me it's a total waste of money on my MBP. Yeah, it would save me from launching the big window of the Calendar app, but I actually prefer being able to see out the entire month.

It might help that I still use one of those giant 30" ACD monitors and have plenty of screen to work with.

----------

No no, "politically incorrect" isn't the right term.

Truth.

----------

Yo dude, your vids are wack LMAO!

I watched a few of them. I got what I paid for.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Nice to see that Australia is getting ripped of with prices again and its not a constant markup:

[expected price 10% + 0.93 conversion]

MindNode 4.99 vs 6.49 (30%) [5.90]
Fantastical 4.99 vs 6.99 (40%) [5.90]

Launch Centre 1.99 vs 2.49 (25%) [2.35]

Tydiig 0.99 vs 1.99 (101%) [1.17]

Grafio 3.99 vs 5.99 (50%) [4.72]

Which ranges from 6% to 70% more expensive when comparing apples to apples

Quit bitching about this.
I am Australian too. And we live in the lucky country. So living here is not perfect and we pay more for Apps and Games then we should? It could be worse. We all know about it so we can save up for the Apps and Games we want a little longer.

I don't like this fact but I've learnt to live with it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Funny, I'm exactly the opposite of you. I bought both. I find it very handy on my iPhone because the interface is so smooth and well thought out, but to me it's a total waste of money on my MBP. Yeah, it would save me from launching the big window of the Calendar app, but I actually prefer being able to see out the entire month.

It might help that I still use one of those giant 30" ACD monitors and have plenty of screen to work with.

I have a 24" screen, but it doesn't matter. I want pop open the calendar, see what's coming up and/or add something, and have it go away. Most likely there's something else that I'm looking at at the same time (IE, buying tickets or something in a web browser). If I launched the full Calendar app, I'd have to actually launch it (use Spotlight, my dock, or Finder), then move it out of the way when it inevitably covers whatever I was looking at, then actually use it, then close it (I hate clutter - when I'm done with a window it should go away). With Fantastical, it's a keyboard shortcut or right in my menu bar already. It doesn't get in my way. And when I'm done, the default action is for it to collapse back into my menubar - I'd have to go out of my way to pin it if I wanted it to stay open (which is rarely what I want, so requiring extra steps for that is perfectly acceptable.)

I am jealous of your 30" screen, though, as an aside. I wish Apple would release some Thunderbolt screens at larger sizes and higher resolutions. I have a 2007 iMac, 24" (largest at the time) right now. I'd like to replace it with a 15" MBP and get a large external to go with it (the 24" feels pretty cramped - I've tried the 27" and they don't feel like it's enough of an increase).

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Apple Puts 20 Productivity Apps on Sale in iOS App Store for Limited Time

I like PCALC LITE for free. Works nicely. :). Did buy the launcher app based on discussion here. And bought the scanner app too. A few bucks is not too painful to trial.

Last edited:

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Fantastical is nearly as useful on iOS as on the Mac. The major downside is, yes, you now have 2 apps, and Fantastical can't show the date on your home screen.

However, its much easier to enter an appointment. It's not easier than Siri, when Siri works, but sometimes there is more info to enter. It is easier to type "Lunch at The Lodge at 8am with Brandon" than it is to use all the date and time pickers in most apps.

Also, the list view/day ticker in Fantastical is easier to read once you get used to it and if you like a day or two or week view.

I would say, give it a shot. The two apps will work seamlessly together. I never open Apple's calendar anymore, unless it is via a quick link through an email.

You can use the notification badge to display the day on the Fantastical icon.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
people still pay for apps?:rolleyes:

People own $700 phones and are too cheap to spend a few bucks on an app? :rolleyes:

----------

Tydlig is freaking awesome. It's like a scientific calculator minus the learning curve.

Why do normal calculator apps, like the iPhone's built in calculator, only display the result, not the entire operation? Wtf? If I type in 3+4+5 I want to know that I typed those in rather than having "12" on my screen with no explanation.

Loving Tydlig too, but the lack of multiple canvases really cripples it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.