Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I recently listed an Apple QuickTime Conferencing kit and was contacted by an eBay member with a LOT of vintage listing saying it couldn't be sold because it was a prototype and that I needed to unlist it.

I don't think this is true, but I've been looking through old Mac magazines and searching the web and I'm struggling to find anything to show this wasn't an internal-only  item. BUT, it seems to have a retail box, UPC, etc.

I don't really want to be in the business of selling anything I shouldn't. Anyone have a link to a review or similar to show it was publicly released, by chance? Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 258
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It's a real product, not a prototype.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Thank you for the link! Not sure why I wasn't able to find that, but I feel better leaving the auction up now. I deleted the link from the original question so it won't be self-promoting now that the mystery is solved. Thanks again.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yeah, probably an eBay seller who doesn't want competition.

Although now that I search, I see one *labeled* "Prototype" in a different box than your photos. But everything about it looks 100% "production", and it's listed for WAAAY too much money.

Plus, Apple hasn't gone after prototype sales of older items on eBay in a long time. Even if it is a prototype (which it appears it isn't) a random third party seller shouldn't care/have any say in the matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.