Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
So I go to Best Buy to get a new battery installed on my I phone 7 . They have one in the store but the tec repair guy says he has to check with apple to see if it can be installed. Guess what apple says no good ,it it can’t be installed because it’s a Legacy phone ! So here’s what I think, apple should notify people ahead of time ,maybe 6 months ahead of when they will no longer install the battery in older phones. i don’t think it’s fair that they quietly stop authorized stores from installing a battery in your phone before notifying the owners of the phone . I think it’s a cheap trick into have you buy a new updated phone for crazy money. I also contacted Apple to see if I could buy the replacement battery but they gave me the runaround and the bottom line was no you can’t ,you have to go to Best Buy . Well Best Buy is not allowed to install the battery! thats why I said it was a run around . To say Im pissed is putting it mildly. This is not good customer relations . Hey, but I’m just a little guy facing a giant.

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Something seems fishy. Apple will replace the battery in iPhones going back to the iPhone 5. You can start the process right on their site: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-replacement. I can't see why they are giving you the runaround, or why they'd prevent authorized repair centers from doing the same. I think we're missing some more details. Is your battery health below 80%? If not, maybe that's why they are denying the replacement. I think the 80% rule only applies to Apple Care though, but have read stories of them denying replacements even if they didn't have/use Apple Care. Or is the phone damaged in some form, such as a cracked screen?

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
Something seems fishy. Apple will replace the battery in iPhones going back to the iPhone 5. You can start the process right on their site: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-replacement. I can't see why they are giving you the runaround, or why they'd prevent authorized repair centers from doing the same. I think we're missing some more details. Is your battery health below 80%? If not, maybe that's why they are denying the replacement. I think the 80% rule only applies to Apple Care though, but have read stories of them denying replacements even if they didn't have/use Apple Care. Or is the phone damaged in some form, such as a cracked screen?
I can only tell you my experience with Best Buy Geek Squad which are authorized apple repair . My battery was at 75 percent. The reason why I wanted to get a new battery was my wife was denied a replacement battery on her 6s iphone because she was told she had a legacy phone ,And apple would not let Best Buy put a new battery in it. So I figured let me get a replacement before I’m in the same situation. Made appointment went down and was told the same story . The tec did tell me they had a apple battery in stock ,he went to apple and checked to see if he was authorized to install it , he was told no ,it’s a legacy phone. I suggest if you think this is not factual you go to best buy and ask. i than went to apple thru my I pad and looked to buy a battery and have a independent repair shop install the authorized battery. First got sales,asked ,first got bot it directed me to a live tec which looked and after a conversation with them said I need to go to technical. I waited … 5 min later I explained the whole thing again. They said hold on I’ll check it out. 5 mins or so they said they could not help and told me they would direct me to sales. I spent about 45 minutes with apple and got no place and a lot of aggravation.

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
This is just a answer I got from apple . I spent about 45 minutes on the phone looking to buy a battery from them. This is just a small part of the chat with apple.

Attachments

• BED99C4C-E339-4B34-BF56-39E0E5213FBE.png
    BED99C4C-E339-4B34-BF56-39E0E5213FBE.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 114

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
The phone is in perfect condition ,I don’t have apple care.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Here, buy a legit iPhone battery, then take it to Best Buy so they can swap it out. If not uBreakifix will do the repair.

No Best Buy, like many car dealerships, will install parts supplied by the customer. I had to reject several of these requests when working for the GeekSquad, while of course doing it for another employee off the record.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I go to Best Buy to get a new battery installed on my I phone 7 . They have one in the store but the tec repair guy says he has to check with apple to see if it can be installed. Guess what apple says no good ,it it can’t be installed because it’s a Legacy phone ! So here’s what I think, apple should notify people ahead of time ,maybe 6 months ahead of when they will no longer install the battery in older phones. i don’t think it’s fair that they quietly stop authorized stores from installing a battery in your phone before notifying the owners of the phone . I think it’s a cheap trick into have you buy a new updated phone for crazy money. I also contacted Apple to see if I could buy the replacement battery but they gave me the runaround and the bottom line was no you can’t ,you have to go to Best Buy . Well Best Buy is not allowed to install the battery! thats why I said it was a run around . To say Im pissed is putting it mildly. This is not good customer relations . Hey, but I’m just a little guy facing a giant.
Not understanding why you can't just go to an Apple store to have the battery replaced. I had the battery on my iPhone 6s+ replaced in November 2021 at the Apple store - no hassle whatsoever.

Why is it either Best Buy, install a battery yourself or nothing?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just replying to this concerning the iPhone 5. I've had the battery replaced (or the entire phone) at least twice. I called Apple in early 2021 to ask if they'd replace again. I didn't want to make an appointment, go in and then find out they could not.

My last battery replacement for my 5 was 2017. So, when I made the call in 2021 they told me that the iPhone 5 was no longer eligible for this.

That's one of the reasons when the battery on my 6s+ hit 70 percent last year (2021) I jumped on replacing it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not understanding why you can't just go to an Apple store to have the battery replaced. I had the battery on my iPhone 6s+ replaced in November 2021 at the Apple store - no hassle whatsoever.

Exactly. Have Apple replace it and be done with it in an hour or so. I would also book the appointment before the holiday season gets stared, if at all possible.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
The iPhone 7 is neither vintage, nor obsolete. So this is quite odd they refused the repair, especially since the <80% health status was well and truly fulfilled.

I think it was earlier this year that I got my 2016 SE battery replaced directly by Apple.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020

New account, first post on MR and firing on all cylinders with an inflammatory thread. Again, no questions asked or advice sought by the OP. Sadly this is quite on the increase.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
New account, first post on MR and firing on all cylinders with an inflammatory thread. Again, no questions asked or advice sought by the OP. Sadly this is quite on the increase.
I think sometimes people just want things to work they way they want. So if it doesn't, it's toss the baby out with the bathwater rather than taking the next logical step.

Not everyone lives near an Apple store, so I half-expect that this will be the response. But this is why Apple created its express service. Usually the response to that is "I can't afford to be without my phone for a week!". To which I usually respond, "that's why I keep my old phones".

It's all fairly simple really - OP just wants drama and validation.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
It's all fairly simple really - OP just wants drama and validation.
Maybe. A conspiracy theory in the thread title as a first post..dunno.

I think the attachment in #4 refers perhaps to Apple not selling the battery directly as the self repair program hasn't been finalized for this device as yet? That's how I read it.

I do also "get" that people become frustrated and need to vent but I'd expect at least one question mark in the monologue if posting. Let's see how many pages this thread gets to lol.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
What is a "legacy" phone?
Is "legacy" another word for old or obsolete?
Who really knows! But a year ago Apple listed the iPhone 12 line as "legacy" devices, whatever that means.

They've coined vintage and obselete for older hardware. So perhaps legacy implies that it's on the way out, to be soon no longer sold? I'm sure there are timelines somewhere when and which applies.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Who really knows! But a year ago Apple listed the iPhone 12 line as "legacy" devices, whatever that means.

They've coined vintage and obselete for older hardware. So perhaps legacy implies that it's on the way out, to be soon no longer sold? I'm sure there are timelines somewhere when and which applies.

Typically Apple products that are 5 years or more old get added to the Vintage list. Being added to the Vintage list means you can no longer get your device repaired or replaced by Apple.

After Vintage is Obsolete. If your device is in that category Apple won't even look at it.

Presumable 'legacy' would be before obsolete I think.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Typically Apple products that are 5 years or more old get added to the Vintage list. Being added to the Vintage list means you can no longer get your device repaired or replaced by Apple.

After Vintage is Obsolete. If your device is in that category Apple won't even look at it.

Presumable 'legacy' would be before obsolete I think.
Yup. I think there are some serviceable items i.e. batteries, that are potentially still included once vintage.

It's funny cause I vaguely recollect Apple using the term Legacy a long time ago?
My memory was great then, but worse now, especially about back then ;) Lately it became a nomenclature for account/ device access of deceased family members. Now it seems to have come back by the looks of it.

Sooo...am now actively using only vintage and obsolete devices lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL!!!!!!

All my messages in this thread have been typed in on a 2009 MacPro 4,1 that was upgraded to be a 5,1. It's running Mojave. It and a Late '09 Mac Mini that I own are my youngest Macs. Everything else is older Intel and PowerPC.

My iPhone is the most current device I own, an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I do have a 2015 MacBook Pro, but it's my work Mac and not mine.

Two and a half years ago I'd have been typing this message in on a 2.5Ghz PowerMac G5 Quad, which I still have BTW. :D

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
LOL!!!!!!

All my messages in this thread have been typed in on a 2009 MacPro 4,1 that was upgraded to be a 5,1. It's running Mojave. It and a Late '09 Mac Mini that I own are my youngest Macs. Everything else is older Intel and PowerPC.

My iPhone is the most current device I own, an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I do have a 2015 MacBook Pro, but it's my work Mac and not mine.

Two and a half years ago I'd have been typing this message in on a 2.5Ghz PowerMac G5 Quad, which I still have BTW. :D
I hear ya!!!

Started with a G5 20"iMac, replaced with the 'current' mid 2009 MBP15" as my only machine. It runs 10.15 and its only original parts consist of the lower case, KB (brilliant), and TP. Most things have failed multiple times as pre-loved components were the only choice. Keeping things stable has forced me to befriend Terminal some what. Let's see if next year heralds a new computing era for me, tbh it's all getting quite painful to maintain and use.

The original iPhone SE, I'm seriously considering replacing with the 13 mini whilst still around. The indecision is purely based on the up-sell cost of increased memory. It's in the EU by no stretch a bargain even in 128GB configuration. Let's see if Apple can sway me with their €50 Black Friday bonus. 😆

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
No Best Buy, like many car dealerships, will install parts supplied by the customer. I had to reject several of these requests when working for the GeekSquad, while of course doing it for another employee off the record.
Thank you for the info and telling how you had reject those requests . I will buy the battery from the link you supplied and get it installed .

Steam6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2022
Yup. I think there are some serviceable items i.e. batteries, that are potentially still included once vintage.

It's funny cause I vaguely recollect Apple using the term Legacy a long time ago?
My memory was great then, but worse now, especially about back then ;) Lately it became a nomenclature for account/ device access of deceased family members. Now it seems to have come back by the looks of it.

Thanks for that info…

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Thank you for the info and telling how you had reject those requests . I will buy the battery from the link you supplied and get it installed .
Is it just not possible to go to an actual Apple store for the battery replacement? Too far or doesn't exist where you are?

I know you shared that written exchange in post#4 but I think it only related to the self-repair program not available for your phone, hence them not selling the battery.

Assuming you're in the US (BB), below is the link to the battery service. As you can see it clearly includes the iPhone 7+.

Tbh I'd feel better about the install if Apple did it, there's also a short warranty included with this work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.