Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWayne

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
It's creative, but I'm gonna be disappointed if realityOS is just iPadOS but AR. You can do so much more with VR/AR, introducing UI never possible with a mouse and keyboard or touch screen.
I agree with you.
The Meta Quest Pro got an update recently were you can switch on touch like features in VR. My wife told me, it is like using the iPad but in AR/VR. I feel that the experience is good. You can then switch to full screen on a large wall for youtube or movies.

I wonder How Apple UX team will crack this. And how will Meta adapt. Let me repeat that Apple is a company that produces many things. Meta is a headset company first. The upside here is Apple’s M2 chip which will allow it to jump ahead and their UX Gods.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If it turns out to be an Ipad floating in the air like that demo I'd not pay $200 for it if that's the only type of thing it does.

MrWayne

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
If it turns out to be an Ipad floating in the air like that demo I'd not pay $200 for it if that's the only type of thing it does.
Can you describe what would make this a hit in UX design?
A lot of iPadOS is going to the Mac already.
I expected something like the stage manager and a dock for sure with gestures. This can be found on the quest pro (copy cats) 😅

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Can you describe what would make this a hit in UX design?
A lot of iPadOS is going to the Mac already.
I expected something like the stage manager and a dock for sure with gestures. This can be found on the quest pro (copy cats) 😅

I've no problem with any of the demo's and the idea of something like floating keyboards, floating screens, iPad's in the air, running iPad apps.
But that can only be one small part of it all.
That's a bit like taking a Quest 2, running Virtual desktop and saying, well that's that then.
Yes it's great, but it's only 1 thing it can do.

As had been said the feeling is Apple wants to throw everything at the wall and see if anything sticks, so I'm expecting a lot of serious/fun/stupid ideas to be demo'd and then, over time things will be removed and added as Apple realises when the devs actually focus on.
Like the daft things that vanished from the Watch a while after launching, when Apple realised it was a Fitness/Health device which took a while for them to discover.

I know Apple are not a games company in any way due to Steve Jobs, but it would be sad if they show so little interest in this sector than it gets stuck like the Mac does, as in a lovely bit of equipment, but if you want games then you should buy something else.
Whilst games should of course only be 1 part of the entire package, I hope Apple does not fail in this area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.