Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How should Apple rebrand?

• Drop the Air name (keep only iPad and iPad Pro)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Drop the base name (keep only iPad Air and iPad Pro)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Don’t drop nothing, just keep it Base, Air and Pro.

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2023
I recently thought about all of the Apple product lines and noticed how the naming scheme for all of the products isn’t uniform: we have MacBook airs and pros, but iPad airs, pros, base and minis. So, how could Apple do a major rebrand of the naming scheme, if the names were to be the same across all the products (like if there is an ipad air there has to be also an iPhone air)? Should apple keep only the air pro line (so iPhone 16 air and 16 pro, MacBook Air and Pro, iPad Air and Pro) or keep only the base and the pro (iPhone 16 and 16 pro, iPad Air and iPad Pro, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro?). I feel like right now the air line is too iconic to be dropped, but also how would you differentiate an iPhone form an iPhone air? What do you think?

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
Drop the "Air" name. The name Air made good sense when the first MacBook Air came out in 2008. At the time, it was revolutionary that a laptop could be so thin. Today is standard on all products, including the iPad.

The Apple iPad line-up should look like this:

- iPad SE (Current iPad 10.Gen)
- iPad (Current iPad Air)
- iPad Pro

Reactions: jacenskylo

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I actually get positive connotations from the Air name, probably based on the iPad Air 2, which I thought was a great device, and the current MacBook Airs (both M1 and M2 versions). To me, it suggests a device that hits the sweet spot in terms of features and value for money.

When I hear the Pro name, and I currently own an iPad Pro, I tend to think expensive.

Jaypro710

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2023
I actually get positive connotations from the Air name, probably based on the iPad Air 2, which I thought was a great device, and the current MacBook Airs (both M1 and M2 versions). To me, it suggests a device that hits the sweet spot in terms of features and value for money.

When I hear the Pro name, and I currently own an iPad Pro, I tend to think expensive.
And the base iPad is the one for basic everyday task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.