Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashtonlay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I just upgraded to a new M2 Max MBP 14". I have an old 2020 MBA and a 2018 15" MBP, both of which were purchased refurbished from Apple's online store. I'm planning to restore both old MacBooks to sell. I was able to turn off Find My/Activation Lock and fully reset the 2018 MBP without any issues. I had turned off Activation Lock, signed out of iCloud, and started to Erase All Content & Settings on the MBA when it fully crashed. When it came back on, it started recovery and showed Activation Lock was turned on--with an Apple ID other than mine. Has anyone ever experienced this??

I have an appointment at the nearest Apple Store tomorrow and have a copy of my original invoice, but I'm beyond confused how this happened. Since I purchased the MBA directly from Apple in June 2020, I've been the only user... My only guess is that when the MBA crashed it somehow reverted to the previous owner's Apple ID before it was ever refurbished by Apple. I've never had any issues with the laptop though, so can't imagine why it suddenly believes it's locked to that Apple ID. I still have AppleCare+ for 4 more months so hoping Apple is able to assist, but this is still frustrating. o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.