Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
As many have probably noticed, on macOS Big Sur Apple yet further reduced the file name area in the Save dialog.

It wasn't particularly long even before Big Sur, but now it's simply ridiculously short. It accommodates about 28-30 characters - which wouldn't be sufficient even on pre-OS X systems. Huge inconvenience when saving files:

1692327016343.png

Compare it to the ample space Windows offers to its users:

1692327035586.png

I was submitting feedback to Apple regarding this glaring shortcoming with each new system release starting with Big Sur. Usually they just never got back to me, but this time they did (as I submitted the same feedback for Sonoma). Well their reply speaks for itself:

1692327102756.png

Reactions: cateye and gilby101

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Holding + and then dragging from the right edge (or left) of the dialog window does no longer work on Big Sur? (I am away from any Mac to test 🤜🤛)

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
You can widen the dialog window just be dragging the edge. But it leaves the file name box as small as ever. That seems ridiculous to me. (Ventura).

Reactions: zevrix

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
The new Default Folder X 6 addresses this shortcoming (which Apple is refusing to fix):

1695625414432.png

1695704976824.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The longer file name still goes into the little box.
Even if you can't see it.

TIP:
Enter the filename, long or short (even if there are typos in it).
Save the file.
Look at it IN THE FINDER.
Now, rename it IN THE FINDER. You can see ALL the characters in the new name.

• Haha
Reactions: frou

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
The longer file name still goes into the little box.
Even if you can't see it.

TIP:
Enter the filename, long or short (even if there are typos in it).
Save the file.
Look at it IN THE FINDER.
Now, rename it IN THE FINDER. You can see ALL the characters in the new name.

Well you misinterpreted my posts. Obviously, the file name of any length will be saved as you typed it regardless of where you typed it.

The probelm is that Apple provides an abysmally inferior user experience as its name field is ridiculosly narrow. If you need to specify a file name that's longer than about 29 characgers, you'll only see a fraction of it. You'll have to perform some mouse or arrow key equilibristics to see what the full name actually is.

Default Folder now provides a sufficiently wide field that allows to type AND see the full file name.

(As to the implementation, then the wide field is apparently drawn separately and then superimposed on the original field, which is evident when you resize the Save dialog. But that's the only choice developer had for implementing this option).

Reactions: cateye
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.