Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
physics_gopher said:
In one of the demo videos on the site, it shows that Aperture can export a picture you're working on to an "external editor", make changes, and put it right back into the stack for that image. The other editor looked like Photoshop, but they cropped out the menu bar at the top you can't tell. Just looking at it though... This makes it seem that Apple is setting this app up right alongside Photoshop. You keep track of all your thousands of images in Aperture and do minor image editing inside. All the really powerful image manipulation they leave to Photoshop. Smart plan if you ask me. :D
But to edit the picture externally, don't you need to "render" it first (IOW, break the non-destructiveness)? You could of course start new non-destructive versions when the externally-edited photo comes back into Aperture, but unless Photoshop (or whatever) supports Apple's non-destructive Core Image stack, you can't keep it "clean" all the way through, can you?

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
iGary said:
Adobe Bridge sucks ass.

Understatement. For some reason I tried to use it again earlier today. ..regret it *every* time. I will never understand why Adobe waves it around like some miraculous program. Maybe they are comparing it to the old File Browser. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to taking Aperture for a spin at the Expo Sat AM!

JT

0tim0

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
iMac G5 Support?

I'm trying to figure out if I can use my iMac G5 with Aperture. I have a 20" G5. It's the first generation G5 (1.8GHz), less than a year and a half old.

The Apple requirements say:

Power Mac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; 17- or 20-inch iMac G5 with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5; or 15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor

I have a 1.8 GHz G5. But, it also says:

One of the following graphics cards: ...

My card isn't in that list. That suggests that I can't use it. But, a new 20" iMac uses a Radeon X600 Pro, which is also not listed. Since it says iMac, it must support the most recent, right? That means something is missing.

So, do you think, since they know what graphics procs are in the iMacs (they are fixed), they mean any iMac with 1.8GHz or a PowerMac with xxx video card? Or is it just wishful thinking?

I tried calling the Apple Store and the guy looked at the same thing I did and concluded it wouldn't be supported. But he really didn't seem sure at all.

I mean if it works on a 1.25GHz G4 powerbook, it would have to work on a G5 iMac, wouldn't it?

--t

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
0tim0 said:
I have a 1.8 GHz G5. But, it also says:

One of the following graphics cards: ...

My card isn't in that list. That suggests that I can't use it. But, a new 20" iMac uses a Radeon X600 Pro, which is also not listed. Since it says iMac, it must support the most recent, right? That means something is missing.

Radeon X600 cards are the PCI-E version of 9600. So, X600 Pro = 9600 Pro + PCI-E, X600 XT = 9600 XT + PCI-E. I think. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
iGary said:
I'm buying. No doubt about it.

I second that. While my main focus isn't photography, it is something that I do earn some cash from so it'd be worth it.
besides, photoshop and workflow seem to be polar opposites now.

movabi

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
this should be part of the os

I really think this should be a feature part of the OS. Most people who buy macs are professionals and not mere hobbiests and also deal in graphics. I deal with photos on a daily basis... i need image management. I do a lot of this stuff manually in the finder and IVMP. I'd use iphoto (joke) but it doesn't manage large amounts of photos well and takes the control over where i decide to put the photos out of my hands. Apeture looks really cool... i want it, but that also means upgrading my system. I need a management program that is robust but also cheaper and doesn't require an upgrade. i think mac owners pay a premium for their machines and get hardly anything in return. I mean you buy a new quad machine and all you get is a measly 512 mb or ram. I'm surprised they even throw in iphoto. Apple targets professionals, yes... professionals who have fortune 500 companies as clients. For the rest of us shmucks we must dream and pay out the ass for it or go without (which is what many people will do). Sometimes the thought of PCs sound better all the time. Flame me all you want, but not everyone has $500 bucks to throw around or $3200 for a new system. How many systems will one go thru... 1 2... 8 in his or her lifetime at the same price each time.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Software costs money. If you make your living doing the activities said software facilitates, its usually worth the cost. If you're going to complain about $500, try taking a look at the audio production industry...

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
D2x?

JCT said:
This was exactly my reaction ...I've been shooting nearly 100% RAW for 2 years now and I still constantly fiddle with my workflow. And my jaw dropped with those D2X RAWs --WOW!

I may have missed the D2X reference in the QT movies. Can you tell me where you saw this? I'm hoping that Aperture does support the D2X, and I imagine it will if it doesn't already.

Reason I bring this up is because when you check out Apple's current list of Aperture-compatible cameras, the Nikon D2X is noticeably absent.

Edit: Scratch that. I see D2X listed now....the list I saw earlier was different! Guess Apple updated it today??

elsiedee

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
ajshades said:
Soon it will be as bad that if you don't have a computer put out in the last 6 months you can't use the latest apps.

I think we're there already :(

I bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 Rev B earlier this year but according to the specs it won't run Aperture either because it has a stock Geforce 5200.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Fotek2001 said:
This is bad news for iView Media Pro...

I disagree... While Aperture looks like it could be some great software (I'll consider it for my new 20" iMac), it certainly has some downfalls - such as its steep system reqs!
iVMP is cross-platform and very portable; even my well aged G4 800 PowerBook is running it quite snappily. And although Aperture seems to have a very intuitive way of organizing data, iVMP provides quite a bit of control with metadata out the wazoo, catalogs, albums, sub-albums, tagging, Finder folder manipulation, etc etc.
In the end it'll really be up to the photographer to decide how she wants to arrange the photographs and how to manage her workflow. Aperture may be great software but it isn't perfect - people will still want control over things such as vignetting and optical distortions and will still need 3rd party software other than Photoshop to do it (unless someone writes plugins - does Aperture support it?). Of course, things have yet to be seen since it's not yet released, but I see it only as another option on the table and a little competition only helps US!

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Late to the discussion...

Let me know if im guessing correctly, Aperture is sorta like an iPhoto on steroids. For RAW format. But not meant to replace Adobe Photoshop.
???

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
The "stacks" used in Aperture reminded me a great deal of a rumor several years ago about a technology that was supposed to be in Panther, called "Piles":

Piles Rumor

What's funny is that there was a later rumor about Microsoft "borrowing" this same idea, demo-ing it with a build of Vista-then-known-as-Longhorn, and referring to them as a "stack" (ref). I wonder if this is that technology re-incarnated since Apple holds a patent for it, or if that rumor came up because it was an idea thrown around while Aperture was in the planning stages.

Arpan

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2004
upgrade the card

elsiedee said:
I think we're there already :(

I bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 Rev B earlier this year but according to the specs it won't run Aperture either because it has a stock Geforce 5200.

Isn't that the advantage of having a PowerMac, it is upgradeable. If this app is really essential to you (meaning, if you are a photographer), and the price is worth it, then you can upgrade the graphics card very easily.

You're stuck only if you have an iMac, with a soldered graphics card.

Arpan

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2004
HiRez said:
But to edit the picture externally, don't you need to "render" it first (IOW, break the non-destructiveness)? You could of course start new non-destructive versions when the externally-edited photo comes back into Aperture, but unless Photoshop (or whatever) supports Apple's non-destructive Core Image stack, you can't keep it "clean" all the way through, can you?

I think that is true. Once you send it to Photoshop, whatever adjustments you applied to the original image, becomes permanent.

But what you can do, it make all the possible adjustments in Aperture, and only when you need to make some bigger changes, such as removing some defects, or clone a person into the photo, or out of it, then you take it into Photoshop.

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
aperture! WOW!

Just spoke two 2 friends who are well known professional photographers, both switched to all digital about 2 years ago, are all Mac and they use Photoshop a lot for the obvious retouching (those who believe that great photographers don't retouch, get real) and they are EXTREMELY happy with this new app. as it will speed their workflow enormously (Think about going through a 300+ shoot and comparing it)

Great App!

And it does have HEALING BRUSH and CLONE STAMP functions

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
ajshades said:
No but they shouldn't leave out brand new computers that already run "pro" applications.

Brand new computers that unfortunately are built on aging technology.
They have to draw a line somewhere. And the person just on the wrong side of the line will always be pissed. If your iBook ran Aperture, but the iBook one step down from yours did not would you still have made the same posts?

If you were Apple and had the choice of handicapping Aperture so it ran slower/worse, but on a wider variety of Macs or tweaking Aperture so it ran faster/better but on a small variety of Macs which would you chose? Piss off the iBook owners that want Aperture or piss off the G5 PM owners that want Aperture?

Lethal

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
JCT said:
Many things, including robust cataloging, a *true* lightbox for comparing, digital loupe ...and presumably speed.

Have you ever tried to scan through 100 shots trying to identify the best using Adobe's Bridge? Brutal. And it's not what Bridge was designed for.

This program fits into a great niche.

JT
Although I'm not a pro photographer, you may have just sold me on Aperture! You're right, cataloguing in Bridge is dreadful. I've asked Adobe for some ability to stack photos (as in PS Elements for Windows FFS), simply to ease going through large collections. And comparing photos is bloody hard.

So, yeah, Aperture may well make it onto my machine ... once I get that new PM! :D

grebo

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
London, UK
no 350D support?

According to their list of supported cameras, the Canon 350D / Digital Rebel XT is not on the supported list.

Capture One Pro supports it, Photoshop CS2 supports it (after Plug-in update).

Bad show, Apple.

:eek:

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
0tim0 said:
I'm trying to figure out if I can use my iMac G5 with Aperture. I have a 20" G5. It's the first generation G5 (1.8GHz), less than a year and a half old.

Actually... your iMac is less than a year old. They only came out late last fall.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
movabi said:
Apple targets professionals, yes... professionals who have fortune 500 companies as clients.
...and feature sets that will make them awkward to use inside those Fortune 500s. There had better be some nice integration with other databases in that thing somewhere (the Apple product pages are disturbingly quiet on that), or there are going to be lots of frustrated people.
For the rest of us shmucks we must dream and pay out the ass for it or go without (which is what many people will do). Sometimes the thought of PCs sound better all the time. Flame me all you want, but not everyone has $500 bucks to throw around or $3200 for a new system. How many systems will one go thru... 1 2... 8 in his or her lifetime at the same price each time.
I'm kind of ambivalent on that part. Elderly Wintel boxes will generally run newer OSes and apps, but not in an acceptable way because they really aren't fast or roomy enough to do the job properly. I guess that's nice to have in a pinch, but that kind of "soft" incompatibility still gets in the way of getting things done. Ultimately you still need to shell out for new hardware.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Leopard Finder

HEY, why not make this the new Finder workflow? Yeah, have stacks, magnifying glass for quickly looking inside documents, etc. Instead of a desktop, introduce an infinite canvas, like Aperture's Light Table, for ordering your docs and projects (also into collapsible stacks). Make a project-centric Finder, with albums, and such. Also edit text and word docs inside the Finder. I'll bet Leopard will implement some of the neat things of Aperture.

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Save $250!

sparkleytone said:
Software costs money. If you make your living doing the activities said software facilitates, its usually worth the cost. If you're going to complain about $500, try taking a look at the audio production industry...

Did anyone check the Ed Discount>????? You save $250 with the Ed Discount. I am using the Ed Discount and getting it for $250 with free shipping. That is a DEAL!!!!!!!!

I would check it out. If you can in any way use an Ed Discount, you get awesome software for an excellent price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.