Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released updated diversity numbers that provide a breakdown of the company's workforce based on gender, race and ethnicity in 2015. The new data reveals that Apple hired over 11,000 women globally over the past year, a 65% increase over the previous year, in addition to 2,200 Black employees, a 50% year-over-year increase, and 2,700 Hispanic employees, a 66% increase over the previous year.

applediversity2015.jpg

Apple says that is has hired more diverse candidates in 2015 than any year to date, with the percentage of new hires in the past year broken down as follows: 35% Women (Global), 19% Asian (U.S.), 13% Hispanic (U.S.), 11% Black (U.S.). Apple's global gender split is now 69% male and 31% female, a marginal change from last year's 70% male-30% female split.

Apple-diversity-2015.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
Diversity is critical to innovation and it is essential to Apple's future. We aspire to do more than just make our company as diverse as the talent available to hire. We must address the broad underlying challenges, offer new opportunities, and create a future generation of employees as diverse as the world around us. We also aspire to make a difference beyond Apple. [...]

We are proud of the progress we've made, and our commitment to diversity is unwavering. But we know there is a lot more work to be done.

Some people will read this page and see our progress. Others will recognize how much farther we have to go. We see both. And more important than these statistics, we see tens of thousands of Apple employees all over the world, speaking dozens of languages, working together. We celebrate their differences and the many benefits we and our customers enjoy as a result.
Apple's overall race and ethnicity breakdown in the United States is now 54% White, 18% Asian, 11% Hispanic, 8% Black, 2% Multiple, 1% Other and 6% Undeclared. The data reflects the past year through June 27, 2015 and varies when broken down into individual categories including tech, non-tech, leadership, retail and retail leadership.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Diversity Numbers, Hired Over 11,000 Women in Past Year

Reactions: MacGod and xerexes1

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i may get flamed for this but i never understood the american obsession with race and where people are from. like when i was studying abroad people kept asking me "whats my background?" and i didnt even get what they were talking about. "i am half this a quarter of that and a bit of this and that". i was like "i am german ... i guess?" (even though my dad is spanish but why point that out if i wasnt born there)

same thing when i had to sign some papers and it asked if i am caucasian or whatever (i didnt even know caucasian was a word before that)

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
How many more qualified men we're ignored in favour of 'diversity'?

I've got a friend that runs a web development company and all but one of his employees are men. The government is on his ass that he needs to hire more women. So what's he supposed to do when there are so few (nearly none) women in the field... and even then, it's especially difficult to find ones that are more qualified than the rest?

Perhaps we should make some efforts to put in more men into hospitals as nurses? Or is feminism really only about benefiting one side only?

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
How many more qualified men we're ignored in favour of 'diversity'?

I've got a friend that runs a web development company and all but one of his employees are men. The government is on his ass that he needs to hire more women. So what's he supposed to do when there are so few (nearly none) women in the field... and even then, it's especially difficult to find ones that are more qualified than the rest?

Perhaps we should make some efforts to put in more men into hospitals as nurses? Or is feminism really only about benefiting one side only?

Be careful what you wish for, even if sarcastically. Some men have already sued Hooters for the right to be "servers" there.

Reactions: dan110

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
I think identity politics is misguided and ultimately detrimental

i may get flamed for this but i never understood the american obsession with race and where people are from. like when i was studying abroad people kept asking me "whats my background?" and i didnt even get what they were talking about. "i am half this a quarter of that and a bit of this and that". i was like "i am german ... i guess?" (even though my dad is spanish but why point that out if i wasnt born there)

same thing when i had to sign some papers and it asked if i am caucasian or whatever (i didnt even know caucasian was a word before that)

I agree. Just as America was coming out of the 60's, which brought a clear message that we should be "color blind," an influential segment of liberals declared to us that the only way to achieve equality was to pay attention - pay acute attention - to everyone's race, sex, and perhaps even cultiure, and categorize them that way.

While I can't speak precisely to their motivations, it was an absolutely heartbreaking tragedy. Love and acceptance was replaced with this insidious divisiveness. It infected our politics, and we've been suffering from it ever since.

Last edited:

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
I seriously doubt any one has ever been discriminated based on race or sex at companies like Apple, Facebook, Google etc. those companies are what they are because they were progressive and innovative in a first place not because they were politically correct and it's ones best interest to have the best staff available working for you delivering the best results no matter what color, sex or religion they are. That's how successful business operate. I'm afraid this leads no where and will do us all harm, well except those few individuals who got their jobs not because of what they are capable of but because of their skin color, sex or religion.

By the way, US demographics are as follows:

Americans 308,745,538 100.0 %
Non-Hispanic White 196,817,552 63.7 %
Non-Hispanic Black or African American 37,685,848 12.2 %
Non-Hispanic Asian 14,465,124 4.7 %
Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native 2,247,098 0.7 %
Non-Hispanic Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 481,576 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic some other race 604,265 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic two or more races 5,966,481 1.9 %
Hispanic or Latino 50,477,594 16.4 %

What can I say, whites are being discriminated against the most, based on numbers alone. And they should get rid of 3 in 4 Asians working for them no matter how good and well suited for those positions they are.

Ridiculous.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN

Because in America we have to find things to bitch about. "Issues" such as this are the epitome of first world problems.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
So whats the end goal of this? We can see in this chart they have hired 16 times the % of the Asian population in the US while all others are lacking. Why would any company want to try to define such a complicated policy that will always exclude someone?

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014

Really, you should say "no, I am not from the Caucasus region. A bit northwest of there actually."

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
As a woman this bothers me. Hire the best person for the job whether it's a man, woman, green person, purple person, alien whatever..

Largely impossible. Any HR department will tell you that a resume only tells you a scant few details about a person. It doesn't tell you how well they work with other people or deal with ambiguity. I think we need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking that a human's work efficacy can be accurately summed up on a couple of pages.

Many of the smartest people I know have rather average higher education experience or even none.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
As a woman this bothers me. Hire the best person for the job whether it's a man, woman, green person, purple person, alien whatever..

I understand what Tim is trying to do but the problem traces back to the education system. I work for a huge corporation and our IT dept is 80-85% male (very diversified: Asian, blacks, whites, Spanish, European, etc) with the rest of the women doing user training, project management and a few in managerial positions.

Even when we ask the recruiter to specifically send us women for very technical positions in networking, telephony and software development the numbers that we see are minuscule. In my case, when I graduated there was this stigma of IT being boring and difficult so I don't have an answer on how we can improve the odds of more women in IT.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015

They should hire people like you, intelligent human before being a stupid SJW.

SJW have hijacks all minorities causes and discourses and are setting the detrimental seeds for a dangerous blowback when the liberal propaganda crumbles under the weight of it's own contradiction, manipulation and lies (I'm precise: I'm French, so I'm not a conservative either, and I'm afraid of what the liberal fascism has set for the coming conservative political trends...)

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I seriously doubt any one has ever been discriminated based on race or sex at companies like Apple, Facebook, Google etc. those companies are what they are because they were progressive and innovative in a first place not because they were politically correct and it's ones best interest to have the best staff available working for you delivering the best results no matter what color, sex or religion they are. That's how successful business operate. I'm afraid this leads no where and will do us all harm, well except those few individuals who got their jobs not because of what they are capable of but because of their skin color, sex or religion.

By the way, US demographics are as follows:

Americans 308,745,538 100.0 %
Non-Hispanic White 196,817,552 63.7 %
Non-Hispanic Black or African American 37,685,848 12.2 %
Non-Hispanic Asian 14,465,124 4.7 %
Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native 2,247,098 0.7 %
Non-Hispanic Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 481,576 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic some other race 604,265 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic two or more races 5,966,481 1.9 %
Hispanic or Latino 50,477,594 16.4 %

What can I say, whites are being discriminated against the most, based on numbers alone. And they should get rid of 3 in 4 Asians working for them no matter how good and well suited for those positions they are.

Ridiculous.

Thank you, a real eye opener.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Really, you should say "no, I am not from the Caucasus region. A bit northwest of there actually."

The classic definition of the term that has been enlarged in contemporaneous times to encompass skull shape as well. Caucasian is such a horrible term that become more vacuous the more it becomes abused.

Reactions: Elbon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.