Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Fun time with iOS error “Turn on two-factor authentication to use Messages”.

We are very surprised and highly disappointed at Apple remotely turning off Messages without warning on my iPhone today.

The way I found out was my wife wondering why I didn’t return her messages.

Turned out that sometime today Apple turned off iCloud Messages. Any attempt to turn it back on results in “Turn on two-factor authentication to use Messages.” I don’t remember seeing any announcement for the 2FA requirement. Can someone point out if there is an announcement? I never used Messages in iCloud by the way, and didn't change phone or iOS version in the past week.

Different iPhone with different iOS versions are impacted. From iPhone XS to iPhone 6S, iOS 12.0.1 and 11.4.1.

Attachments

• Messages2FA.jpg
    Messages2FA.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 243

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
iMessage in iCloud has, to the best of my knowledge, always recquired two-factor authentication to work. Definitely weird that the it seemed to **** it self off.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
messages in the cloud is solely for storing your messages in iCloud, this always have required 2FA. However this does not stop your phones ability to send messages using the messages app. Two very separate things.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At first glance, I thought "Oh S*** I could not use iMessages without 2FA, that was huge" as I am against 2FA. For iCloud Messages though, it requires 2FA from the start.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Just to clarify, I meant Messages on my iPhone, not through any web interface. It's been working without 2FA until the time mentioned and I didn't change phone or update iOS in the past few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.