Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Last night I posted to the Apple forum saying that I've never upgraded from Mojave because I'm afraid my computer will get "bricked". The message was taken down. Weird - considering the same issue exists with Monterey.

And, although some may tell me that the chances are very small that my system will be rendered inoperable - I simply do not have the resources to deal with this problem. If I could run out tomorrow and drop $5k on the newest MacBook Pro - then, sure I'd do it. But, I've got to stick with my old MacBook Pro for a while.

Reactions: yitwail

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Was there a point to your post on the Apple forum, or did you just want to share your fears?
It is a technical support forum, not an emotional support one.

The chances of your Mac getting "Bricked" during an upgrade are near to none. As long as you have a working backup you will be fine.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Was there a point to your post on the Apple forum, or did you just want to share your fears?
It is a technical support forum, not an emotional support one.

The chances of your Mac getting "Bricked" during an upgrade are near to none. As long as you have a working backup you will be fine.
I'm concerned over Apple quashing my post - instead of offering assurance of some type. For example, if bricking occurs under certain circumstances - then it would be helpful to respond with that information. But, the immediate deleting of my post over a legitimate concern is rather sketchy of Apple.

Hey, if I had a spare $5000k to replace a bricked laptop then I'd think nothing over upgrading - because if the upgrade fails (bricks my computer) then I'd just run out and buy another laptop. Also, I find Apple to be highly irresponsible for continuously publishing operating systems that brick users computers.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I'm concerned over Apple quashing my post - instead of offering assurance of some type. For example, if bricking occurs under certain circumstances - then it would be helpful to respond with that information. But, the immediate deleting of my post over a legitimate concern is rather sketchy of Apple.

Hey, if I had a spare $5000k to replace a bricked laptop then I'd think nothing over upgrading - because if the upgrade fails (bricks my computer) then I'd just run out and buy another laptop. Also, I find Apple to be highly irresponsible for continuously publishing operating systems that brick users computers.

I understand that it is upsetting when a post gets deleted in a forum, but it is important to phrase requests properly.
An open accusation without a specific request for support does not belong in a support forum.

Also, I find your last statement to be an unfounded sweeping generalisation.
A few users experiencing problems does not equal “continuously publishing operating systems that brick users computers”.
If that’s how you wrote the other post, I am not surprised it got deleted.

Reactions: Tagbert

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I understand that it is upsetting when a post gets deleted in a forum, but it is important to phrase requests properly.
An open accusation without a specific request for support does not belong in a support forum.

Also, I find your last statement to be an unfounded sweeping generalisation.
A few users experiencing problems does not equal “continuously publishing operating systems that brick users computers”.
If that’s how you wrote the other post, I am not surprised it got deleted.

Do you want me to delete this post? I'm okay with that if this topic is particularly upsetting for some.

What I say is definitely not unfounded and I stand by the statement. Catalina, Big Sur and now Monterey can brick your computer.

Be careful - over what you have assumed about what I posted to the Apple forum. What I had posted was that I was afraid to upgrade (as described in my first post here). Your quote strongly implies that I said/posted something that never was said/posted to the Apple forum (which is merely your conclusion based on little information) - putting words in my mouth. And, that is unfounded.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Anyway, moving forward - I'll try to be more clear about technical questions. In this case I am looking to upgrade - but, as I say I am afraid - and as pointed out in my first post even if the chance is very small my computer would be bricked I do not want to chance it - for lack of resources.

I have considered asking Apple to upgrade my computer - I feel that if THEY break my computer I might have some recourse. Although, I am skeptical it would play out in my favor should things go sideways.

Bottom line is - always keep a spare $5000 for such situations.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I am curious as to whether this issue has been resolved as I have not upgraded mine yet

jwin

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
Last night I posted to the Apple forum saying that I've never upgraded from Mojave because I'm afraid my computer will get "bricked". The message was taken down. Weird - considering the same issue exists with Monterey.

And, although some may tell me that the chances are very small that my system will be rendered inoperable - I simply do not have the resources to deal with this problem. If I could run out tomorrow and drop $5k on the newest MacBook Pro - then, sure I'd do it. But, I've got to stick with my old MacBook Pro for a while.
This happened to me last night! My MacBook Pro 13-inch is less than two years old. I only updated it because of the alerts Apple put out about needing all Apples to update for security. Waiting to see what Apple will do here. Not happy at all right now.

Reactions: Lyphin

jwin

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
Do you want me to delete this post? I'm okay with that if this topic is particularly upsetting for some.

What I say is definitely not unfounded and I stand by the statement. Catalina, Big Sur and now Monterey can brick your computer.

Be careful - over what you have assumed about what I posted to the Apple forum. What I had posted was that I was afraid to upgrade (as described in my first post here). Your quote strongly implies that I said/posted something that never was said/posted to the Apple forum (which is merely your conclusion based on little information) - putting words in my mouth. And, that is unfounded.
Just bricked mine last night! I thought this issue would have been fixed by now...

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
This happened to me last night! My MacBook Pro 13-inch is less than two years old. I only updated it because of the alerts Apple put out about needing all Apples to update for security. Waiting to see what Apple will do here. Not happy at all right now.
You're responding to a 9 month old thread. ;)

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Just bricked mine last night! I thought this issue would have been fixed by now...
Sorry to hear that. This was exactly my fear. Some people really do believe that an Apple computer will not get bricked by simply upgrading to a newer version of maOS. And, although it is understood that upgrading isn't likely to brick your system - it does happen. For those unlucky few - the issue is very real. I hope Apple can or will help. This should never be happening. Apple bricking their own operating system is new territory - sadly.

jwin

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
You're responding to a 9 month old thread. ;)
Yep! Didn't know anything about this until now when I researched it 👍🏼. Crazy it's still an issue after all this time...🤦. I've always thought Apple was way more together on this stuff🤷

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Yep! Didn't know anything about this until now when I researched it 👍🏼. Crazy it's still an issue after all this time...🤦. I've always thought Apple was way more together on this stuff🤷
Before you decide that your Mac is “bricked” know that in most cases it is not a permanent condition. You may just need to do a more intensive reset and restore. I did help a coworker do it once a couple years ago. Search for Mac OS DFU mode. You might want to take it to an Apple store and get their help as it requires a second computer.

I don’t think that anyone knows why this happens in a small number of cases. It seems to be a situation where something disrupts an OS update at some critical phase and it cannot recovery without extreme measures.

Please do let us know the outcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.