Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Glad I snagged a copy for the time being until something better comes along

I love me some casual Gameboy action on my iPad Mini!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Duplicating something isn't theft. The original still belongs to the owner. I have not removed their property. If I photograph the Mona Lisa and hang it in my bathroom the Leouvre don't lose any visitors.

The theft comes from denying them a sale of said duplicate. If the item was not for sale and there was no legal way of providing recompense to the original creators then no sale has been lost. The Leouvre lost out on a reprint sale in the gift shop but if they don't provide any for sale then they can't make any money.
It doesn’t feel right that you should be entitled to break the law just because someone decides they don’t want to sell you something.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Emulators are kinda sketchy to begin with on copyright infringement.
Yes. Some of them are packed with malware or other kinds of data trackers.

It would not surprise me if Nintendo sent something to Apple.
Doubtful. Nintendo only cares about the Switch hardware and software related specifically to the device. While they offer select GBA titles on their NSO Expansion Pack service, they haven’t been targeting any emulators on discontinued hardware. If they were interested in snuffing that out, then Analogue wouldn’t be able to release their Pocket device that can play GB, GBC and GBA games, plus the ability to emulate games off an SD card.

Reactions: frozencarbonite

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
yup. Companies like Nintendo do not f around.

I would bet my life savings that Nintendo sent its army of Lawyers after apple and the developer. (And they have every right to defend their IP).
Nintendo would most likely not send lawyers after Apple the way they would some random emulator developer in his house. It would be a conversation with Apple and Nintendo leadership.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan

Doubtful. Nintendo only cares about the Switch hardware and software related specifically to the device. While they offer select GBA titles on their NSO Expansion Pack service, they haven’t been targeting any emulators on discontinued hardware. If they were interested in snuffing that out, then Analogue wouldn’t be able to release their Pocket device that can play GB, GBC and GBA games, plus the ability to emulate games off an SD card.
Analogue Pocket only plays games off the game carts, can’t play roms off the SD card.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Surely you have a reputable source for this claim? Other than "my friends pirate them." Because I know for a fact that there are some indie NES and SNES games being made today, along with rom hacks, and those are legal.

Emulators exist for other reasons. Sure, there are people who do use them to pirate, but then we come back to the knife/car argument. Besides, what about all other emulators? You keep bringing up the NSW because it serves your argument, but it falls apart when you bring up dead platforms.
You could very easily disprove ops point by citing that emulator use is mostly legal. Having said that op did use the term mostly, which is opinion based.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nintendo should bring their official emulators on the Nintendo Switch to the iOS/iPad/MacOS.
This. That Nintendo online subscription would see a lot more signups if those apps were available on mobile platforms, not just the Switch, and as it's old games, they're not cannibalising hardware sales.

Spencer_W23

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
Heidenheim, DE

Attachments

• IMG_6411.png
    IMG_6411.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: frozencarbonite

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
He quipped that he was "so glad App Review exists to protect consumers from scams and rip-offs like this."
Exactly what I've been saying the entire time!

Apple's App Store has MORE scams, not LESS, thanks to their atrocious rules and enforcement of them!

(Yes, scams exist everywhere, and it's not hard to find them anywhere, but Apple tries to argue that they're blocking them when really, they're just blocking legitimately awesome apps, apps like the legitimate version of this gameboy emulator, and instead they let in scammy crap like this.)

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020

Nintendo has lawyers that focus entirely on protecting their IP rights. It is not a distraction to their engineering or product development efforts for them to send a take-down letter to Apple.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
This. That Nintendo online subscription would see a lot more signups if those apps were available on mobile platforms, not just the Switch, and as it's old games, they're not cannibalising hardware sales.

I suspect it's an ROI and in some cases licensing issue.

It's not as easy as just putting out roms and an emulator. Nintendo would be expected to deliver a bug free emulation experience; which costs money to implement and maintain; especially if it runs on platforms whose hardware capabilities are not as predictable as an iPhone. I also suspect the likely user is someone who played teh original and if teh emulator doesn't provide teh same gaming experience will be disappointed and not likely to buy more roms.

There could also be licensing issues where Nintendo may have licensed something to use in a cartridge game but would have to renegotiate to bring out a separate digital d/l.

It's also likely to be a relatively small market compared to their current offerings. Nintendo may have concluded any additional revenue would not be worth the cost.
Guys - this has nothing to do with "Nintendo sending an army of lawyers"

It's due to the App jacking someone else's code and publishing it to the App Store

The underlying code was open source licensed.

It doesn’t feel right that you should be entitled to break the law just because someone decides they don’t want to sell you something.

That seems the prevailing rational, along with "I wouldn't buy it so they lost no sale," for pirating software et. al. I simply disagree with that rationalization; but understand no one wants to view themselves as a thief.

It's a strange dichotomy, I sat in meetings at one place I worked where when I pointed out we were using copyrighted material in products, the response was "we found it on the internet so it's free." When I pointed out I can get our copyrighted material freely as well on the internet, they were upset that someone would be able to steal our stuff. Go figure.

PeterKeller

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
So, I downloaded this app. I don't see any ads and there was no question about tracking.
Also, *after* it was removed, I was able to download it to my iPad from my "Purchased" menu.
Can confirm it plays Roms shared from iCloud Drive.
I'm not much into emulators tho, so bit of a waste on me. However, this is all very interesting.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So, I downloaded this app. I don't see any ads and there was no question about tracking.
Also, *after* it was removed, I was able to download it to my iPad from my "Purchased" menu.
Can confirm it plays Roms shared from iCloud Drive.
I'm not much into emulators tho, so bit of a waste on me. However, this is all very interesting.

I also never see any ADs and never saw anything about tracking
I only have it on my iPad (like you)

I wonder if there was a difference related to that?

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I suspect it's an ROI and in some cases licensing issue.

It's not as easy as just putting out roms and an emulator. Nintendo would be expected to deliver a bug free emulation experience; which costs money to implement and maintain; especially if it runs on platforms whose hardware capabilities are not as predictable as an iPhone. I also suspect the likely user is someone who played teh original and if teh emulator doesn't provide teh same gaming experience will be disappointed and not likely to buy more roms.

There could also be licensing issues where Nintendo may have licensed something to use in a cartridge game but would have to renegotiate to bring out a separate digital d/l.

It's also likely to be a relatively small market compared to their current offerings. Nintendo may have concluded any additional revenue would not be worth the cost.
Oh I just meant put the existing "Classic Games" selection from the Switch on other devices with a subscription fee. It really is simple:

- These apps and thus the emulators are already running on ARM (Switch uses an Nvidia Tegra X1/X1+ which is massively under powered compared to modern smart phone SoCs)
- While there have been issues (particularly with their N64 emulator), these apps are mature and already feature a decent selection of first party and licensed third party games - and Nintendo controls which games are added
- I would argue that there is a _massive_ appetite for classic video games; Android-based portable consoles are an industry unto themselves (Aya Neo, Retroid, Anbernic and many others churn out new SKUs on a regular basis), then there are less legally dubious devices like Sega, Nintendo and Atari's miniature replicas

Nintendo have sold, what, 150 million Switch systems? There are _billions_ of active Apple devices between phones, tablets, computers and the Apple TV. Even at the conservative end, an official Nintendo app that offers a selection of classic titles would do very well in the app store if it was priced reasonably. That's not even counting Android.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
What I am saying is that the law needs to change so that private citizens and charitable organisations can continue to experience and maintain lost pieces of artwork without recourse from the law. See also: taping songs off the radio and recording TV shows. Making copies of media for your own use has been part of culture for decades; why should games be any different?

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Actually. This is impossible. If the thing is illegal anything you do with it is inherently illegal because of the possession of the illegal item. using an emulator is legal at its core, using an emulator to play a illegally sourced rom is illegal. I guess you could say that is doing a legal thing with an illegal item but it really isn’t.
A ROM isn't illegally sourced if there is no legal way to obtain it though.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Actually. This is impossible. If the thing is illegal anything you do with it is inherently illegal because of the possession of the illegal item. using an emulator is legal at its core, using an emulator to play a illegally sourced rom is illegal. I guess you could say that is doing a legal thing with an illegal item but it really isn’t.

You should consider thinking about this more and extrapolating it into various examples
It's flawed and unworkable logic

Reactions: d686546s

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
because this indicates that Apple doesn't check if the submitted App is owned by nor falls under the proper licensing in its approval process.

Apple doesn't have the source for the apps submitted.

How could Apple at all know, in the general sense, if an app violates som copyright somewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.