Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I am apolitical, I believe no government run agency should meddle with social media because even government is not right and can use that authority for coercing free thought and speech. Let the cards fall on the table and let the individual make up their own minds because they’re have free will for better or worse. When the voice of any person is restricted or demonized it’s the recipe for civil unrest. A country is not free and neither it’s people if they are being manipulated.
All the FBI did is warn Facebook to be on the lookout for increased misinformation campaigns from foreign powers. They didn't tell them to do anything, or give them any rules to follow.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
In the tech world a decade is a “long time ago” 😝
Sure. I have no idea what that has to do with what I said.

So go ahead inform me why has it not been upgraded to USB3 speed, an innovative company such as Apple would not hold back innovation now would it, if it was even possible.
How would I know? I'd guess it's because they didn't see a significant benefit to justify the cost.

These sound like arguments when Apple removed the 3.5mm audio port for wireless which has limitations on quality. But hey whatever you want to drink to convince yourself that Apple is right, from a saddened shareholder.
I don't know what you are getting at here. Sounds like a strawman.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
All the FBI did is warn Facebook to be on the lookout for increased misinformation campaigns from foreign powers. They didn't tell them to do anything, or give them any rules to follow.
I have worked with government agencies, there is no “warning” only telling labeled as a “warn”. Must be great not having to interact with such agencies. 😝

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
No. I don't feel that at all. Why are you making stuff up?

The misinformation that I referenced in your post was your claim that "the FBI approached Facebook to hide or claim things about a certain somebodies laptop". That claim is false.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg himself stated it. But okay if you want to believe “I am making stuff up” 😝

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I think people in this thread are dramatically overestimating how often iPhone users transfer data over wires. I haven't done it in more than 5 years (maybe a decade?). I wonder what percentage actually has in the last few years.

So if you don’t see or have a need for it then it should apply to everyone; got it. 🙄😝

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Cost or a theoretical/technological reason/limitation. 🤔
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Lightning is capable of supporting USB 3.0. The 2015 iPad Pros supported USB 3.0 over the lightning connector. Apple just chose not to do that on the iPhone.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg himself stated it. But okay if you want to believe “I am making stuff up” 😝
No, he didn't. He said they gave him a general warning about increased misinformation campaigns. Nothing specific about the infamous laptop.

Zuckerberg told Rogan: "The background here is that the FBI came to us - some folks on our team - and was like 'hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert. We thought there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election, we have it on notice that basically there's about to be some kind of dump that's similar to that'."
He said the FBI did not warn Facebook about the Biden story in particular - only that Facebook thought it "fit that pattern".

So if you don’t see or have a need for it then it should apply to everyone; got it. 🙄😝
Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the sort. I simply relayed my experience and speculated that it may be quite common to never use wire transfers.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I have worked with government agencies, there is no “warning” only telling labeled as a “warn”. Must be great not having to interact with such agencies. 😝

The FBI has no problem "telling" people when they need to. Unless you have evidence to contradict what Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg have said, the FBI simply warned them to be on the look out for increased misinformation campaigns.

Also, if you do have that evidence, go straight to the media, my man. I'm sure you could get paid a pretty decent sum for breaking a news story like that. I'll wait with bated breath.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Is Russia, Ukraine, Finland, Turkey, Sweden, Poland, Greece, Italy, etc etc. 😝
Yes they are

atlantic-ocean-map-1.png

You really thought you had a "got ya" with that didn't you?

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
No, he didn't. He said they gave him a general warning about increased misinformation campaigns. Nothing specific about the infamous laptop.

Zuckerberg told Rogan: "The background here is that the FBI came to us - some folks on our team - and was like 'hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert. We thought there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election, we have it on notice that basically there's about to be some kind of dump that's similar to that'."
He said the FBI did not warn Facebook about the Biden story in particular - only that Facebook thought it "fit that pattern".

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the sort. I simply relayed my experience and speculated that it may be quite common to never use wire transfers.
You do know that government agencies use intimidation of they backing right. You do know that a “discussion” has conditions when it involves government agencies. Unless Mark Zuckerberg is under oath, he is playing it safe by indirectly answering the question.

So your anecdotal experience with wired data transfer applies to others as you feel it maybe uncommon. Cool I guess my circle of iPhone family and friends and I included must not be common. Some people who either don’t backup their phone either opt for iCloud due to lack of security knowledge, convenience, technological knowledge, or not having a computer or not knowing that it is even possible. But rather than educating these people and provide them an informed choice we can just say you don’t need to backup data via wired transfer and just use iCloud, it’s “secure” 😝

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You do know that government agencies use intimidation of they backing right. You do know that a “discussion” has conditions when it involves government agencies. Unless Mark Zuckerberg is under oath, he is playing it safe by indirectly answering the question.
Propaganda at its finest. You believe what you believe without evidence. And when there's evidence that you are wrong, you just dismiss it.

So your anecdotal experience with wired data transfer applies to others as you feel it maybe uncommon. Cool I guess my circle of iPhone family and friends and I included must not be common. Some people who either don’t backup their phone either opt for iCloud due to lack of security knowledge, convenience, technological knowledge, or not having a computer or not knowing that it is even possible. But rather than educating these people and provide them an informed choice we can just say you don’t need to backup data via wired transfer and just use iCloud, it’s “secure” 😝
What are you talking about? It's perfectly reasonable for some people to prefer a wired connection for backups and data transfers. I just spectulated that its uncommon based on my experience and Apple's decision not to upgrade transfer speeds. It was a guess. Nothing more.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I guess NDA and Gag Orders don’t exists 😝
They certainly do. But you have no evidence that there is an NDA or gag order involved in this claim. And it doesn't change the fact that there's no evidence for your claim. And there is evidence that you are wrong.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
They certainly do. But you have no evidence that there is an NDA or gag order involved in this claim. And it doesn't change the fact that there's no evidence for your claim. And there is evidence that you are wrong.
Was Mark Zuckerberg asked if there was a NDA or Gag Order, if not there is no evidence that either you or I are right or wrong. Why so polarising? Take a break have a KitKat bar. 😁

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Someone sent drones into Russia again today. 🤔
One target was within 100 miles of Moscow. 🤯
Someone in Moscow might not be quite as insulated as he thought.
🇺🇦

Reactions: quatermass
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.