Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Could you at LEAST have a clue about what you're ranting against before you do it?

"Wikileaks will publish 251,287 cables, originating from 274 embassies and dating from 28th December 1966 to 28th February 2010. Of this total, 15, 652 of the cables are marked Secret, 101,748 Confidential and 133,887 Unclassified, although even the 'unclassified' documents contain sensitive information."

Jeez.

You missed the point. But thanks for the info.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The american press never had the power to distribute 250,000 top secret files to billions of people across the world. Nor would they print a document without reading it first. In other words, you're wrong :rolleyes:

I see words joined together to make sentences, but it's not making sense to me.

Let's back up a bit...

"The american press never had the power to distribute 250,000 top secret files to billions of people across the world"

Well, yes they do! Haven't you heard? The American press has the Internet too!

Oh, and noone has distributed 250000 top secret files, so I guess you're wrong there.

"Nor would they print a document without reading it first."

Nope... don't understand this. Wikileaks has only distributed a few hundred of the cables, and they've all been read and redacted - so I guess you're probably wrong on this too.

"In other words, you're wrong :rolleyes:"

Such certainty, in one so unaware of the facts!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You missed the point. But thanks for the info.

MY point was that you have no actual clue what you're talking about. You're just ranting and throwing out rhetoric that doesn't match the reality of what Wikileaks is doing. It's embarrassing to watch.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
not gonna bother voicing my opinion very strongly on this matter i dont think as its starting to get rather vigorous in here!

However(yes theres a however:D) i cannot honestly believe the number of american patriots who think the 'leaks' are bad in here, its making me laugh but also cry, i agree that the cables are just embarrassing for the US, but how sadaam is in on this i dont know, did they employ him in their embassy now? (im just playing but i think iraq war is irrelevant in most respects to this matter!)

Also someone was talking about someone hiding all the "contraband", yeaaaah, maybe in sadaams hole with him?!!

This thread is ridiculous and made me lol!!( actual loling! not just the usual: hi, lol, how lol are lol you lol?)

On a final note if people think assange is stupid enough not to have forseen this, and have something really really good to share with us all incase they take him to jail(unlikely seeing as he's able to have sex while someones sleeping and also he didnt use a condom!! (girl: please use a condom assange: no! girl:*doesnt shut legs*) then i hope you'll be surprised! hopefully best till lasT:)

And on the relevant topic i have to say im sorry to see jobs sink down to the rest of the companys who are to "pussyo" to stand up to the government instead of dragging themselves through the mud! i mean maybe not in america cause they all seem to bum bush still but i mean the rest of the sane world!

Good tidings!

Last edited:

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Apple the corporate stooge

Corporate stooges. We wouldn't need wikileaks if you weren't being such ******s on the world stage.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Eraserhead said:
The stealing of the original documents was in fact illegal.

As the guy who stole the pentagon papers didn't serve a day in prison, I'm not sure what the legal precedent is, you'll have to wait for the trial (and inevitable appeals) of Manning to know whether he committed a crime - US law is based on common law, and precedent is key.

That's just false. And good thing too, or we would have no cause of action against terrorists.

You don't, its just that a lot of governments with lots of terrorists are corruptible.

No. It's just false. You don't have to be a citizen of the United States to be sued or tried by the United States. Similarly, a business does not need to based in the United States to be sued or tried by the United States.

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Thank you for the link. I hope it will be read by everybody on this thread before posting. I don't think it will happen, but I can hope.

My observation so far is that the "string 'em up by the thumbs" crowd have no grasp of the facts, and that they wouldn't care what the facts were in any case.

Nor have I yet found, though I only scanned some posts, any acknowledgement the Private Manning is only suspected by the media as being the source of the leaks. There have been no official conclusions where wikileaks got their information from.

And - in my humble observation - the "string 'em crowd" is entirely missing the bit that these are Diplomatic Cables. These are the observations, opinions, conclusions of Diplomatic Staff. And that nearly 2.5 million people have access to this level of "classified". When 2.5 million are in on a "secret", it's not really a secret anymore.

The biggest impact is that this is embarrassing for the US government. But be sure that any foreign government with a mature intelligence service has already seen any cables concerning it's own government.

Rather than embarrassing doesnt this confirm some rather twisted cooperation??

Either that or this proves the whole fiasco is really worthless and insignificant because if this were really sensitive life endangering stuff no way would this get published...

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Well, that sucks, then. Apple is just plain wrong. WikiLeaks hasn't been proven to have broken any laws. There's been no legal case brought, let alone a conviction.
The main point here isn't that Wikileaks may of broken a law, but Apple's belief that the papers WikiLeaks CHOSE to publish may put people innocent of any wrong doing at risk.
Not if its in the interest of public in cases where it is revealing misconducts or information that has been distorted by a governing bodies and in such form previously distributed to the public. Free press, public watch dog... Ring any bells? No? Is California part of China now?
Please point out here where anyone is bashing WikiLeaks for the revelation of the US or it's forces doing wrong (such as the previously mentioned helicopter incidence). I've seen none. The issue is them publishing information that could possibly put innocent (or even helpful) people at risk, and seem to be published just for the sake of publishing government documents.

As the guy who stole the pentagon papers didn't serve a day in prison, I'm not sure what the legal precedent is, you'll have to wait for the trial (and inevitable appeals) of Manning to know whether he committed a crime - US law is based on common law, and precedent is key..
One major difference - did a quick look up, and Ellsberg was a civilian at the time of the Pentagon Papers. Not active military, and if I'm not mistaken, the effect the defendent(s) accused actions (if found guilty of doing them) have on the morale of the rest of the military is taken into account on sentencing.

And yeah, that guy didn't serve a day in jail because it had more issues (someone after a conviction offered the judge directorship of the FBI? Smooth move...) than OJ's trial, leading to mistrial.
That only applies to Manning, not to Wikileaks.

wikileaks is only doing what are american Press and News organizations used to do..well that was before they became corporate puppets.
Publish information without regards to the ramifications it might have on those who have done nothing wrong?

Reminds me of how I was upset with the local newspaper the other day when it mentioned after being told locally the names of the police officers who shot and killed a man connected to a Mexican drug cartel would not be released after they were found in the right due to safety for them and their families, they went up north to the state capital to "go around mommy and ask daddy". Thankfully, the upper folks agreed with the local law agencies assessment of the situation.
The american press never had the power to distribute 250,000 top secret files to billions of people across the world. Nor would they print a document without reading it first. In other words, you're wrong :rolleyes:

Not only that, they recognized that they have the power to NOT publish, as well.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
There's good reason why Apple pulled this app: possible legal liability.

And I'm not kidding either. Remember, news reports has it that the US government is seriously considering charging WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange with violating the Espionage Act of 1917. If such charges ARE filed, Apple could be held liable as an accessory to committing a FEDERAL felony for allowing this app to stay in the iOS App Store, and that could have very serious effects on the company and its corporate Board of Directors.

Given that Apple has curated a very strong positive public image, the LAST thing Apple wants is getting embroiled in the whole WikiLeaks controversy for any reason. Why do you think Apple backed down on banning the use of Adobe Creative Suite 5 to write iOS apps, and went out of their way to defend the iPhone 4?

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
It was removed because it broke App Store rules. Plain & simple. Not because it's wikileaks, but because apps that collect for charities must be free. It should never have slipped through in the first place. Everyone just needs to calm down a little...

Apple wouldn't have been quoted saying "An app must comply with all local laws" if they didn't mean that the app was blocked because it doesn't comply with local laws despite their being no legal judgment against Wikileaks.

What they are doing is stopping the dissemination of information in this app that is now clearly public domain, and are asserting themselves as a better judge than their customers, even though it's quite clear Wikileaks are just a conduit for the cables just like Apple's beloved New York Times. FU Apple for this.

It's hard to really understand what is happening to America when so many companies care more about their standing in Washington than what their customers care about. Apple claims it's all so liberal arts friendly but then drop it the moment they have a chance to prove they're actually at one with those.

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
There's good reason why Apple pulled this app: possible legal liability.

And I'm not kidding either. Remember, news reports has it that the US government is seriously considering charging WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange with violating the Espionage Act of 1917. If such charges ARE filed, Apple could be held liable as an accessory to committing a FEDERAL felony for allowing this app to stay in the iOS App Store, and that could have very serious effects on the company and its corporate Board of Directors.

By that logic they're going to charge all the newspapers and their directors with committing a felony too. How much likelihood of that do you think their is? Until all citizens blog, the press is (still) the last station of keeping some kind of honesty on government. If a day ever came that they made a case against the NYT, Apple and others for publishing cables is the day that democracy officially died.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
No one cares. No one excused you of being a keyboard soldier.

Um yeah someone did accuse me of being a "keyboard soldier." See below. Maybe you should consider reading the posts in the thread before replying to any of them; doing so really helps, and that's a piece of info I didn't get from Julian Assange.

Let me see you go defend your abilities to say these comments... oh wait you can't. You are just another keyboard soldier who talks a big game.

Brilliant. Slander the guy and than when he tries to defend himself reject it as stupid because your family fought too. Big whoop.

I didn't "slander the guy." I simply called him out on his attempt at a patriotic sob-story. He was an applicant to a military academy, that's all; he never attended one, and most importantly he's never been on active duty. But guess what, he thinks he can act like he's in the middle of Afghanistan right now and get all holier-than-thou with me because his family dealt with post WWII anti-Japanese sentiments and because he has had family members who fought in wars. All I did was point out that other people have had generations of family members fight on the behalf of human rights, and pay the ultimate price in the process. I wasn't the one who got up on the "I'm from a line of patriots" soapbox first, he did. Sorry if it bothers you that I called him out on his attempt to guilt me and make me look like a jerk.

He fits the wikileaks demographic perfectly.

And just what would that demographic be?

You better report me too.

Don I hope you don't mind me stealing your sig, it's for a good cause ;)

No problem yg, I'd appreciate it if you helped spread it around.

I hope you don't mind being the pawn in a Chess Match.

And just what do you think you are?

Re-Distribution of Classified Material is illegal.

I guess you better report me to the FBI, as I'm running a US based mirror site that is redistributing that classified material. FYI, murder is also a crime, but I don't see your kind (the anti wikileaks crowd) calling for the heads of the war criminal soldiers seen in the Collateral Murder/Collateral Damage video that was leaked earlier this year. You people only call for the heads of those who let the world know what some of our soldiers do, and that the US government lets those soldiers get away with their war crimes.

-Don

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
HEY!! One of those Governments you are referring to is the Canadian Government.... and we are not corrupt, eh!!!

Is this funboy trying to say all Governments are corrupt but the USA?

if SO

AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Biggest load of horse sh*te ever the amount of money it takes to get elected in the states is ludicrous and makes every polotician a female dog to big business.

No one is more corrupt then the american GOVT.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
No. It's just false. You don't have to be a citizen of the United States to be sued or tried by the United States.

Strictly no, you have to be extradited. Look at Polanski, he's been hiding in France (a US ally) for years without being arrested.

Similarly, a business does not need to based in the United States to be sued or tried by the United States.

Only if they do business in the US. And they could probably avoid punishment if they left the US market instead.

No one is more corrupt then the american GOVT.

North Korea?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Strictly no, you have to be extradited. Look at Polanski, he's been hiding in France (a US ally) for years without being arrested.

Only if they do business in the US. And they could probably avoid punishment if they left the US market instead.
If a website is committing tortious acts towards the U.S. and there are effects felt in the U.S., the U.S. can sue or try them. There may be procedural hurdles depending on the type of website, how many active U.S. subscribers etc. but it can be done. I understand that they may be able to hide out unless the country that they are in will extradite, but that doesn't mean that they cannot be sued or tried.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
So much for the 1984 ad...

If wikileaks proved something is that governments and not freedom of information put people in harm's way.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
In my opinion case is very simple and this move by Apple comes as no surprise...

Apple, particularly since the launch of various iDevices, has turned into Fascist company (on multiple levels)

Apple plays nicely with American Fascist government and other Fascist institutions, corporations and banks...

Apple, being Fascist company and one of the major players in Fascist system, naturally pulled the plug on the app that deals with the truth and spreads Anti-Fascist agenda...

Yet another reason to boycott them :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
In my opinion case is very simple and this move by Apple comes as no surprise...

Apple, particularly since the launch of various iDevices, has turned into Fascist company (on multiple levels)

Apple plays nicely with American Fascist government and other Fascist institutions, corporations and banks...

Apple, being Fascist company and one of the major players in Fascist system, naturally pulled the plug on the app that deals with the truth and spreads Anti-Fascist agenda...

Yet another reason to boycott them :)

Seek help. Seriously.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I guess you better report me to the FBI, as I'm running a US based mirror site that is redistributing that classified material. FYI, murder is also a crime, but I don't see your kind (the anti wikileaks crowd) calling for the heads of the war criminal soldiers seen in the Collateral Murder/Collateral Damage video that was leaked earlier this year. You people only call for the heads of those who let the world know what some of our soldiers do, and that the US government lets those soldiers get away with their war crimes.

-Don

You are not seeing us call for those soliders' heads as that video isn't the topic of this thread.

Wikileaks leaking that? That was right, morally. But doing the right thing once doesn't excusing doing the wrong thing.

Unless you are telling me that somewhere in those papers released, which are saying who helped us when over there, redacted or not (who knows what bits might give the terrorists over there enough info to ID someone, or worse, merely some place?), who helped locate the people doing bombings and shootings?

If you agree that the people that we are fighting are terrorists, the ones that flew planes into the Towers or support those who do, then you agree that they are not above killing random people in a town as a "lesson" to "collaborators" - after all they are killing random people in markets, etc.

I've seen no one here say they have a problem with WikiLeaks releasing proof of corruption/wrongdoing by one or more governments.

But people here are having an issue with WikiLeaks exposing government papers/secrets just because they can.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
If only we had had wikileaks during the Bush regime. Perhaps 5000 soldiers wouldn't have had to die for no good reason.

Then again most people weren't interested in hearing any opposing points of view. If you disagreed with W, you were labelled a traitor. Heaven forbid you didn't believe in the spin about WMD.

Oh please. They didn't literally print them, but the news used to report on them instead of being the corporate/government lap dogs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.