Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Freedom Speech?? This is not a matter of Freedom of Speech. Classified documents are just that - classified. There's a reason that certain items are not meant for public release. You are extremely ignorant if you don't realize that keeping certain information classified allows us to enjoy our freedom and prevent foreign entities from infringing on it.

Also, the release of the info by WL has endangered the lives of dozens of people who are risking their lives for our freedom and way of life. Once again, if you don't realize that, then you've got some serious cognitive impairments.

For most things I'm all about transparency. However, I'm not so ignorant to think that everything should be public knowledge.

Yea so everyone should keep believe the lies of the politicians and they should keep safe us from the truth by keeping certain documents classified...

emon878

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
Wikileaks just released everything they get, they asked the white house for help to censor sensitive information like names, but they refused.

Also the "rape" charges are "Sex By Surprise" meaning the condom broke and he kept going. These charges were only brought after he released all the info, convenient. Rape is really tossed around loosely these days, I personally think its offensive to people who have actually gotten rapped.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
Freedom Speech?? This is not a matter of Freedom of Speech.

Nobody understands what that means anymore. I was in a bar a couple years ago and a street person came inside and decided he was going to set up shop- put out his coffee can for tips and started playing a guitar.

When management asked him to leave, he started yelling about free speech and how the 1st Amendment was being violated.

While that is an extreme example and ridiculous to you or I, it hopefully helps others who aren't so educated on the matter realize how ridiculous their comments are.

The 1st Amendment protects the bar owner... his establishment is private property and the government has no right to tell him what he can or cannot say in that location.

Every government that has existed on the face of the planet has retained the right to secrecy. Was General Washington's army expected to publicly disclose plans of a sneak attack on the British? It is not for the common man to decide what is classified and what is not. If you do not like what your government is doing, perhaps you have elected the wrong group of people.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yea so everyone should keep believe the lies of the politicians and they should keep safe us from the truth by keeping certain documents classified...

So you support the leak of vital locations deemed important for national security putting peoples lives at risk by making them a possible target for attack?

emon878

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
So you support the leak of vital locations for national security?

Vital locations for national security? If they agreed to work with wikileaks they could have taken these out, I support the release of information like the 15,000 more civilians that were killed that they just "left out".

ahdfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Here
Freedom Speech?? This is not a matter of Freedom of Speech. Classified documents are just that - classified. There's a reason that certain items are not meant for public release. You are extremely ignorant if you don't realize that keeping certain information classified allows us to enjoy our freedom and prevent foreign entities from infringing on it.

Also, the release of the info by WL has endangered the lives of dozens of people who are risking their lives for our freedom and way of life. Once again, if you don't realize that, then you've got some serious cognitive impairments.

For most things I'm all about transparency. However, I'm not so ignorant to think that everything should be public knowledge.

Well, after it's public, I can repeat it, because that's Freedom of Speech. WikiLeaks didn't release anything, they just passed it on. Maybe a bit more to the point, this stuff probably had no need to be created in the first place. Mostly civil servants writing endless emails describing the obvious.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Vital locations for national security? If they agreed to work with wikileaks they could have taken these out, I support the release of information like the 15,000 more civilians that were killed that they just "left out".

Why would any government help out in leaking their own classified documents?

I am sorry, but wikileaks should be smart enough to realize not to leak locations deemed important for national security without our governments help.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Right. You seem like a smart fellow.

You need to brush up on your Swedish law (there are, at least, four classes of sexual misconduct and none of them directly translate as rape.)

Also, wikileaks is NOT in violation of any law. Nor is Assange, and even if he was, he's an Australian citizen and the US won't be able to prosecute him.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
It's fair point, but those arguing this point are also assuming this is why the app was pulled. No-one knows why, because Apple didnt give any reason to the developer. It will be interesting to see if the developer removes the donation part and resubmits it...

So therefore, in order of 'correctness', I'd argue our responses to this article should be (until we have information to say otherwise)

1) Hmm.. this is interesting. I'd like to see how this turns out/if apple let us know what was up.

2) The most logical conclusion is that it broke the rules as laid out simply here: http://log.emonk.net/post/2400609317/heres-the-simple-reason-why-an-app-that-costs-two

3) Apple pulled it for political reasons.

But for some reason, people seem willing to jump to 3 straight away. There is absolutely NO proof whatsoever of it, and to make it worst people get all fired up about it, the story runs all over the place and misinformation is spread. You wouldn't get that with 1 or 2. And yes, whilst I admit that number 2 is an assumption, it is a much more educated opinion given that we have the exact rule that this app broke right in front of us.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I can understand Apple’s donation policy. Any old developer could “say” that part of the proceeds goes to some trendy charity, thus boosting sales, and then pocket the money.

Apple’s preferred method of donating directly to the organization dodges this, and makes app-based donation just like any other kind of online giving, with the app being no more than a free gateway.

P.S. I can’t side with the government when it comes to keeping information away from me. When it comes time to vote (or protest, or write letters, or start an awareness campaign, or give up and start abusing cough syrup) I WANT to know that my tax dollars are out there killing unarmed civilians by helicopter.

As for the locations vital to the US, WikiLeaks is hardly the only way to figure that out, and hiding them is hardly the only way to defend them. The truth is worth more, and politicians’ motivations for hiding the truth are not pure. It’s an unpleasant grey area, as is often the case with security, and we shouldn’t pretend it’s simpler than it is (but we humans are greatly comforted by false simplicity).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be curious to hear why it was removed - if its trying to profit off a free site, then a lot of Twitter and Wikipedia apps are guilty of this. If its just a way to disassociate themselves with WikiLeaks then that's another matter altogether.

It is likely a combo of:
Their basic avoidance of appearing to take sides on hot issues
Possible 'assistance' charges if criminality is determined in the whole matter
That Igor is selling something that is free on the web
The app just copies something off the web (which is against terms right there)
Igor is apparently not actually associated with the wikileaks group and therefore might o be giving them an cut as claimed
The issue of a 'forced donation' via selling the app

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
Right. You seem like a smart fellow.

I'm above average when it comes to tested intelligens, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

He isn't accused of rape (that is undebatable) and no country has yet prosecuted him(/Wikileaks), because they can't.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Why would any government help out in leaking their own classified documents?

I am sorry, but wikileaks should be smart enough to realize not to leak locations deemed important for national security without our governments help.

so you dont think a goverment should take any blame for having that sort of info available internally so freely that a private can get access to it with no problem.
not only that but copy the information and remove it from the building , none of that even worries you just what the information states

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
As for the locations vital to the US, WikiLeaks is hardly the only way to figure that out, and hiding them is hardly the only way to defend them. The truth is worth more, and politicians’ motivations for hiding the truth are not pure.

Like I said, I can support leaking any documents showing corruption or illegal activity( such as that helicopter incident), but it doesn't mean they can release anything and everything. If they were just leaking the documents showing corruption and illegal activity, I would be behind them 100%. But, they are not. It doesn't matter if it isn't the only way to figure out the locations vital to the US, the fact is they did release those locations and I can't support them because of that.

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
While I have no issue with Apple removing this app, I think it is our job as citizens to be the watch dogs of the government...And your kidding yourself if you think our freedoms are at risk because of the leaks. Our freedoms are at risk from people so willingly to give them up in the eye of safety and security.

Which freedom did setting back the course of international diplomacy ten years advance?

While I'm not sure if wikileaks has done anything illegal, I am absolutely sure it has done several immoral things. Aside from the difficult-to-prove-before-someone-gets-shot issue of putting diplomatic/military/civilian cooperators at danger, the leaks "exposed" careful, intelligent and frank classified discussions. These diplomatic cables have only demonstrated a rational and well-grounded American evaluation of world affairs and diplomacy, and wikileaks (and the leaker) have served no purpose but to encourage the US and its diplomatic staff to become less transparent, and less hones tin their evaluations.

Congratualations wikileaks and its supporters, you have succeeded in making American diplomacy MORE opaque and clandestine - and probably less effective at solving issues without bullets. Good job on that whole core values of freedom of speech and transparency thing.

PS - Isn't it ironic that 90% of the other countries in the world do NOT protect what they did, as the US does?

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
So Apple is the US Government's 'Bitch' who is willing to sell out it's supposed alternative hippie morals to keep turning a buck. So much for freedom of speech and the USA being the "Land of the free, home of the brave" - what a load of *************!!

1984 has arrived - and Jobs is the sinister Minister of Truth !!!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
so you dont think a goverment should take any blame for having that sort of info available internally so freely that a private can get access to it with no problem.
not only that but copy the information and remove it from the building , none of that even worries you just what the information states

Of course they should take blame for their piss poor job of keeping these documents secure, but I was replying to the poster saying our government had the opportunity to help Assange filter out any info that would people in danger, etc. I was saying why would any government help Assange out in leaking those documents and he should be smart enough to filter out that information on his own without our governments help.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Why would any Business want to be associated with Wikileaks?

It matters when the business is supposed to be a service provider of sorts that is indifferent.

I'm not discussing the App store, which is actually a little different, but Visa, Mastercard, and PayPal have historically never analyzed the transactions of their customers. You can still make donations to the Ku Klux Klan over PayPal! The fact that they're exclusively singling out WikiLeaks is siding with a political agenda. If they were banning all controversial parties from all countries, it'd be different.

Apple, on the other hand, has historically banned controversial things (even political comic apps) from the App Store, so it is less surprising.

I am against wikileaks because they leaked locations deemed vital for US National Security. They have now put peoples lives in danger for making those locations possible targets for terrorist attack.

Where?

Show me one.

Have you actually read through any of the cables? AFAIK no one has been able to actually show a single person that is put in danger by these cables, outside of danger to their reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
I am against wikileaks because they leaked locations deemed vital for US National Security. They have now put peoples lives in danger for making those locations possible targets for terrorist attack.

Before that, I was mixed on wikileaks. I liked that they leaked the helicopter killing innocent people trying to be covered up, but why release our diplomatic convo's? That didn't show any corruption or illegal activity. We do not need to know everything and these things are not protected under free speech.

I am all for exposing any corruption or illegal activity, but wikileaks hasn't been filtering the documents they have obtained and only exposing the corruption and illegal activity. They are just leaking these documents just to leak them.

They show plenty of illegal activity. If you have not seem it mentioned it is because you don't want to. They also show plenty of other stuff. I guess Wikileaks could just cherry pick stuff to embarrass the US but that isn't their way.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Of course they should take blame for their piss poor job of keeping these documents secure, but I was replying to the poster saying our government had the opportunity to help Assange filter out any info that would people in danger, etc. I was saying why would any government help Assange out in leaking those documents and he should be smart enough to filter out that information on his own without our governments help.

dont you think though that since they did such an appalling of keeping the information secure the least they could have done is to then work with wiki leaks to try to solve the problem they created , not saying your opinion is wrong just think the goverment has dropped the ball twice. once by not keeping things secure they want secure and then by not working out a way to filter the secure stuff out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.