Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplysly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
First post here everyone! So glad to be part of the community.

So my 2016 MBP 15 was causing me issues. The top case was replaced from memory 3 times. I had USB C port failures after repair. I even received a machine back from Apple that had failed diagnostic testing after repair (only found this out after the kind folk at Apple store Berlin made me aware) This dragged on. I was at my brink. I had NO Applecare. I was covered by Australian consumer law however.

Long story short after countless Apple store visits. About 10 hours on the phone to Applecare and countless calls, I have just received a fully spec'd out Macbook Pro 2019. Im fairly over the moon; I wont lie.

If you are having issues with your machine dont be afraid to raise your voice. It could pay off quiet nicely.

SS

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

So my 2016 MBP 15 was causing me issues. The top case was replaced from memory 3 times. I had USB C port failures after repair. I even received a machine back from Apple that had failed diagnostic testing after repair (only found this out after the kind folk at Apple store Berlin made me aware) This dragged on. I was at my brink. I had NO Applecare. I was covered by Australian consumer law however.

Long story short after countless Apple store visits. About 10 hours on the phone to Applecare and countless calls, I have just received a fully spec'd out Macbook Pro 2019. Im fairly over the moon; I wont lie.

If you are having issues with your machine dont be afraid to raise your voice. It could pay off quiet nicely.

SS

good for you. Makes me wonder if Apple knows they aren’t going to be able to move that machine in a couple days?

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
Possibly... Either or its a battle won id like to think for this guy.
Anyone getting more money out of apple, then im happy. They are WAYYYY over priced.... especially for the gpu's and such in them...

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Possibly... Either or its a battle won id like to think for this guy.
Anyone getting more money out of apple, then im happy. They are WAYYYY over priced.... especially for the gpu's and such in them...

Oh definitely a battle won. He walked away with way more than he had, so I don’t mean to run it down. I just wonder if Apple does the same thing if this wasn’t a soon to be replaced model. That’s all. If this were me, I’d be stoked either way.

Reactions: theapplehead

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018

SS

Great News!! :D

Reactions: simplysly

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Happened to me in June 2012, some days after WWDC. No warranty or anything. My 2010 MBP had hardware problems and Apple still couldn't fix it after replacing the screen and the motherboard so they decided to replace it with a new just released 2012 MBP. They had to match my 2010 processor specs, so I got a fully loaded MBP that still prints money to this day. Best deal ever.

Reactions: simplysly

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Happened to me a long time ago.
After 4 trips to Apple to fix my 17 inch PowerBook G4. They gave me a 17 inch Aluminum MBP. I guessing this was 2006. It died around 2010.
Didn’t get another laptop until a 2014 MacBook Air.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Same thing with me. I had a 2016 15" model with apple care and it kept on freezing even after several OS reinstalls and logic board replacements. Ended up with a 2019 15" model.

However, given the news today, what do you think the chances are of being able to trade in that 2019 replacement for this new 16" one? Mine's still unopened

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Same thing with me. I had a 2016 15" model with apple care and it kept on freezing even after several OS reinstalls and logic board replacements. Ended up with a 2019 15" model.

However, given the news today, what do you think the chances are of being able to trade in that 2019 replacement for this new 16" one? Mine's still unopened

That would be asking a little too much wouldn't itt?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Oh definitely a battle won. He walked away with way more than he had, so I don’t mean to run it down. I just wonder if Apple does the same thing if this wasn’t a soon to be replaced model. That’s all. If this were me, I’d be stoked either way.

Happened to me on a 2016 model, Apple Store replaced mine with an upgraded model they had in store instead of making me wait for a BTO to ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.