Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Bought my 20in als imac in May 2005. Also bought Applecare. In the first year, the midplane and superdrive went. After the first year (thank you applecare), the HD went, followed by the Powersupply, 3 times. About 2 weeks ago, it started with the unexpected shutdowns, which had been the indication of powersupply failure, the last 2 times. On Friday last, it accelerated the shutdowns. The longest it was up was 14 minutes (it took superduper 12 minutes to finish a smart clone, I got lucky!). By midmorning, it wasn't staying on through bootup. I made a genius bar appt for the afternoon.

The genius powered it up (it booted flawlessly of course, and ran the whole hour we talked, I hate technology...), pulled up the history, asked me some questions, and told me I had a couple of options:
1-they could repair it again
2-they could give me a brand new, comparable machine.
I thought about it for a while and asked for the repair, because no one in their right mind would want a brand new computer. Not.

Then he says, "you know, if you want to pay the difference, we could upgrade you to the 24in imac. I thought about that for a while and said no, cuz no one in their right mind would want a bigger screen. I mean, all that extra desk space taken up, and then the issues of trying to find the cursor on that big ol' LCD...

Make a long story short, my new 24in imac arrives next week and I forgive Apple for all the evil things I said about my 20in.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Wow! I wish apple south africa was so compassionate! Over here its a big free for all.

eg: I received my iPod shuffle a week before new models came out, and, well the very day the new model was released I tried to get mine replaced-the guy just laughed at me :(

TJIrwin

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
London, UK
Wow! I wish apple south africa was so compassionate! Over here its a big free for all.

eg: I received my iPod shuffle a week before new models came out, and, well the very day the new model was released I tried to get mine replaced-the guy just laughed at me :(

So you bought a perfectly good product, recieved it, and then bitched that they wouldn't replace it just because a new version was out. That hardly seems fair. I could understand it if the product was on order and they announced a new version before you got it, but the fact remains you have a perfectly good shuffle.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

why didn't you just return it and then buy another? also, what's an als imac?

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
TJIrwin said:
So you bought a perfectly good product, recieved it, and then bitched that they wouldn't replace it just because a new version was out. That hardly seems fair. I could understand it if the product was on order and they announced a new version before you got it, but the fact remains you have a perfectly good shuffle.

Coz I've still got old headphones :(:D

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
iMac troubles....

If I were you, I'd also inspect the powersocket to which you plug your machine, it's a bit strange that it performs trouble free at the store, and at home you have all these problems. It can very well be that the problem was real, just like your previous ones, and rectified itself by transporting it in a car (bumps in the road correcting a loose connector, albeit unreliable...)...

However, not to worry, you have a brand new Mac coming, but before you bring that back with power supply problems...... just a thought....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.