Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Good keep it up. Wish there was a way to specify what country I want the product from. Would love to stay away from anything built in China if possible

Reactions: Razorpit

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
What happened to South America? It was touted as being the next big region to do business but it never materialized. It was rumored that Apple was preparing to move more manufacturing there but it never happened. I know a few of the countries turned into political nightmares, but not all of them.
Politics still spook investors down there. I'm with you though - I think SA is the future of manufacturing, particuarly for western hemisphere. Similar time zones, languages, and costs. Just needs more continuous political stability to get the buy-in.

Reactions: Orange Bat

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Where is your source for what you are saying?

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth

Thank You.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Sure, if you're willing to pay 50% more or whatever for your iPhones, etc., and willing to accept longer build times. Remember, the parts supply chain is pretty much all in Asia.
Not sure that matters. The supply chain is all over the place. The glass comes from the US for example. Labor (assembly) probably is not major contributor to prime cost even if it were done in the US. There are also less obvious yet significant benefits to having manufacturing near design. Considering this is Apple we are talking about, it is very odd they do not assemble their own products.

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
Would love to stay away from anything built in China if possible

Ideally, I would love trade with a democratic China operating within the world order. That may be a case of beware what you wish for: a democratic China would be a potent competitor.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
US isn't the most efficient even in North America. For example, in the auto industry some research has indicated that Canada is the most efficient (as in man-hours to car completion), US is second, and Mexico is third. On the flip side, Mexico is the cheapest. IOW, the US is neither the most efficient at assembly nor the most cost effective.

Yes I already know that. That's why I said India needs to get its act together.

BTW, while China's politics royally suck for individual Chinese citizens, it is arguably beneficial for foreign (and domestic) tech companies.

Yeah, it's strange. Anyhow I guess they need to get their acts together too. And then there's Africa. WTF, Africa?

? I'm talking population of course.

Vietnam is about 100 million, Russia is about 145 million... and everyone hates the country right now. India is 1400 million, with a very decent source of educated workers. However, as everyone knows, their infrastructure is terrible, and their governments, at multiple levels, are both corrupt and ineffective.
Bad wording on my part. I wasn't referring to "you" as you may have thought. You obviously get it. Sorry about that.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Never heard that half of iPads made have dust in the camera lens. Where is your source?

My source is i've bought around 40 iPads and iPhones in my life and returned about half for having dust inside the camera assembly. Now every iphone or iPad I buy, I buy 2 at the same time and return one.

• Wow

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Finally, all companies manufacturing in China should move production to Vietnam, India and other nations. All we are doing is funding their military

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.