Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
It's good that there's an exception.
And Turkey
And Engypt
And Oman
And...

You get the idea...

Just like any faith, for those that fallow its tenets with good intention good things will follow. Those that follow their faith with violent intentions shame is brought.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is 95% Christian and the Neighboring Republic of Congo 87%. To look at the human rights violations and societal instability in these nations and say that this is par for course for Christianity seems pretty harsh, wouldn't you agree?

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Unfortunately the precedent of using nukes on civilian cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a fact. There was no military need for it as the Japanese army was not there and remained intact and had to be fought by the Soviets. US tried to put a scare on Stalin and failed miserably.

There is a reason why ninethirty said that he is not afraid of Russia using nukes(attaboy). And as a matter of fact Putin never mentioned nukes, it was actually Biden who mentioned nuclear Armageddon which implies that he is hell bent on refusing to retreat like Kennedy did in Cuban missile crisis by removing missiles from Turkey. There is also an indirect implication that US citizens who don't want to die and go to Valhalla are obviously pro-Kremlin.

Elon Musk obviously understands how serious the situation is and figures that his 2028 presidential election campaign and high tech stuff might become irrelevant very fast once the nukes start flying.
The reason I'm not afraid of Russia using nukes is because their entire country is a joke. Putin's a joke, the people under him a joke, the military is a joke, and the people of Russia are a joke also, having slurped up the propaganda. Can't do anything right, everything's a mess, nothing works, and I bet that all applies the nukes too. Even if it weren't all bluffs, I doubt there's anything to actually fear.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The reason I'm not afraid of Russia using nukes is because their entire country is a joke. Putin's a joke, the people under him a joke, the military is a joke, and the people of Russia are a joke also, having slurped up the propaganda. Can't do anything right, everything's a mess, nothing works, and I bet that all applies the nukes too. Even if it weren't all bluffs, I doubt there's anything to actually fear.
You keep repeating like a mantra this "paper tiger" thing and what I don't understand is: Are you trying to convince me? Or trying to convince yourself? Maybe you feel a bit jittery inside and secretly not entirely on board with the prospect of going to Valhalla? A man in a green t-shirt pretty much made it clear that you don't have a say in this matter anyway.

I would agree that in general don't have to be afraid of Russia unless it becomes about Russia's strategic security perimeter(and this time it is). But yeah it was not Russia who already created a precedent of ever using nukes. And you should always be afraid of a guy who has actually already publicly "done stuff". The basics of the power game I guess.

How is the "monetary policy" coming along? I hope it is a smooth sailing.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
You keep repeating like a mantra this "paper tiger" thing and what I don't understand is: Are you trying to convince me? Or trying to convince yourself? Maybe you feel a bit jittery inside and secretly not entirely on board with the prospect of going to Valhalla? A man in a green t-shirt pretty much made it clear that you don't have a say in this matter anyway.

I would agree that in general don't have to be afraid of Russia unless it becomes about Russia's strategic security perimeter(and this time it is). But yeah it was not Russia who already created a precedent of ever using nukes. And you should always be afraid of a guy who has actually already publicly "done stuff". The basics of the power game I guess.

How is the "monetary policy" coming along? I hope it is a smooth sailing.

I'm just stating the obvious is all.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I'm just stating the obvious is all.
Obvious?

There is a reason why the British have never been afraid of 400 million Indians but when literally 50 Russians crossed the border they were like: "We have a very serious situation on our hands."

If you were even slightly aware of the statesmanship competencies you would know that a weak "paper tiger" Russia is posing a much bigger threat to the world's security than a strong Russia.
So your childish "macho" approach is not applicable in this situation.

Also having a strong and united international alliance against a "paper tiger"? Something does not quite align with a propaganda narrative here, don't you think?

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Egypt?

Egypt was a mini Syria until military took control it, killing & jailing how many people?
Yep. Egypt is marking 100 years of independence this year. And I hear you, Mubarak was not a good thing recently. The Arab Spring took its toll. Though I'd argue that wasn't much more severe than what the US has seen since 2020.
For the most part Egypt has been stable. And while there is still animosity between the citizens and the "ruling class" again I'd say the same is true in the US.
Calling it a mini Syria feels like a stretch, though. Syria is a disaster due to far too much foreign influence. Russian in particular stirred that pot. Egypt was almost entirely internal to itself.
Now "stable" is also a relative term. I'd call Egypt stable just like I'd call the US stable. That said, neither is perfectly so and I wouldn't argue if you said neither was.

But I'll also point out that in all three situations, the US, Egypt, and Syria, the dominant religion had little to do with it, though in each case religion was used a backdrop. What all three did have in common was a socially conservative leader that spoke in violent terms.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Obvious?

There is a reason why the British have never been afraid of 400 million Indians but when literally 50 Russians crossed the border they were like: "We have a very serious situation on our hands."

If you were even slightly aware of the statesmanship competencies you would know that a weak "paper tiger" Russia is posing a much bigger threat to the world's security than a strong Russia.
So your childish "macho" approach is not applicable in this situation.

Also having a strong and united international alliance against a "paper tiger"? Something does not quite align with a propaganda narrative here, don't you think?

My Russian friend, you're the one that lives in a world of propaganda narratives. I'm just watching the reality of Russia falling apart at the seams and loving every minute of it.

Reactions: tubular
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.