Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
That sounds pretty cool! I wonder if my local Apple Store (Legacy Village, Lyndhurst) will have the new displays. If they do, I want to go check them out. In fact, I'd even make a special trip there just for that.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by AndrewMT
The Apple store in Mclean, VA removed the large screen in the back of the store (where they usually aired macworld) and now the genius bar has two plasma displays built into the wall on the left and right of the genius bar logo.

When i was at the apple store in cleveland, i noticed they have a similar setup with 2 screens above the genius bar, displaying the same sort of promo that goes on when the apples are sitting there vegetating in their "promo slideshow" mode or whatever it is... it's really not such a big deal as all that, and really nothing to get worked up over.

it is nice that when they're troubleshooting your laptop, they connect video-out to one of the screens so that you can see what's going on while they're working on it. very useful and customer-friendly. do these guys know how to surprise and delight or what?

ultimind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2003
Here and There
The Legacy Village store's dual plasmas are run from G4's via DVI output into the screens. I've been in there when they've had a G5 hooked up to the right display...Makes for a nice monitor :)

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Hurry, Hurry, Hurry.....
Come and see the New Apple 30" inch display.....
msrp: $ a bagilion dollars

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by ultimind
The Legacy Village store's dual plasmas are run from G4's via DVI output into the screens. I've been in there when they've had a G5 hooked up to the right display...Makes for a nice monitor :)

Not really. You can't get that much res out of it and plasmas have a horrible burn in problem.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
Just to clarify: they are using 40" LCDs by NEC. These are NOT plasma displays. Not really that big of a "rumor" considering some of the newer stores already have them. They are going back now and retrofitting older stores.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
yeah the UTC mall in La Jolla, CA (San Diego) has always had those genius bar screens. They look nice, but nuffin to get too worked up about.
-Kevin

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Yah, nothin big

Just outfitting older stoors w/ these LCDs and new granite floors. Ginza was made with them.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Chicago (Michigan Ave) and Skokie (Old Orchard) have always had them. They did add a red phone at the genius bar, i found that semi-humorous.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Yep. Northpoint maul (what it feels like shopping there) Apple Store is tiny tiny, no big screen like Lenox in Atlanta, it only has two of these displays above the Genius Bar. This story is kinda like a non story.

I was hoping it'd be some glimpse of hope that Apple would FINALLY be updating their desktop displays, they're getting long in the tooth and as specs go, frankly, aren't worth the price compared to other ones out there. C'mon Apple, update soon.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
Chicago (Michigan Ave) and Skokie (Old Orchard) have always had them. They did add a red phone at the genius bar, i found that semi-humorous.

I thought the red phone was always there. Wasn't that direct line of super-intelligent help one of the selling points of the Genius bar? ie: if the nerd behind the counter doesn't know the answer, the huge nerd on the other end of the phone will?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: Yah, nothin big

Originally posted by jimsowden
Just outfitting older stoors w/ these LCDs and new granite floors. Ginza was made with them.

Chicago store has the same screens behind the Genius bar. This is nothing new.

I'm assuming the author meant LCD screens, not plasma. If it were something new, Apple's screens are LCD, not plasma. Maybe it's the home appliance, but I doubt it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I noticed 2 of them at the Chestnut Hill Mall. They are located over the Genius Bar. Continuos running of short cuts with Panther and quotes from the famous such as Jane Goodall.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
yeah, i had noticed that in apples retail adventure, they changed designs SLIGHTLY about halfway through... now they're just going back and "fixing" all of the older stores... but still cool nonetheless!

does anybody realize the massive retail presence that apple now has? these stores cost a lot of money to open and keep running... and apple is MAKING money! they currently have 74 stores! holy cow! anyhow, i guess i just figured the volume of their presence had been overlooked

AWNR

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
Sweden
Don't forget all the "concept stores" as well, all over the world. Apple's branching out.

There's at least one in both Stockholm (Sweden) and Copenhagen (Denmark). Basically sponsored by Apple and the likes of Epson or Adobe. I think they actually get some of the decor directly from Apple, but I'm not sure.

The swedish store:
http://www2.macoteket.se/butiken/

Maybe Apple will take over them in their future world-wide expension?

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
Originally posted by spaceballl
yeah the UTC mall in La Jolla, CA (San Diego) has always had those genius bar screens. They look nice, but nuffin to get too worked up about.
-Kevin

nice to see a fellow san diegan :D

i sure hope there'll be updates soon as i'm in the market for a dual g5 with a monster display!

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I would rather see news about Apple releasing new displays than this. But that's just me. What does Apple care anyway, they release plastic white keyboards with aluminum computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.