Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
And now paypal has broken it again by not allowing 2 step authentication so anyone who uses that can't use the app. So all this apple rejects apps and checks them to ensure a good user experience is ********.

Apple are not there to extensively and exhaustively test every function of every app, on every iOS, on every model. That PayPal bug requires a very specific configuration to encounter it - my PayPal app works just fine. Not to mention every app has bugs, because they're written by humans. There are zero applications on the face of the planet that are bug-free. Apple are just doing a sanity check for obvious problems. The responsibility for bugginess resides - always has, always, always will - with the developer.

Did you even know Apple did a bug check? What do you imagine things would be like if they didn't?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
They should put it to good use it on their own apps then!
Honestly they still have bugs in their own software that need fixing, look at some of the threads regarding Mail on ASC.
There's a big difference between Apple bugs which typically affect only a small portion of a very large user base, and the bugs Apple is rejecting apps for which are apparent from the first moment you open an app. When you have 500 million users some of them are going to find bugs.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I for one appreciate most of the reasons, except for the exclusion of apps like Pathfinder...

And the lack of trials/demos. There were a bunch of apps for which I had to pay, but then felt that they weren't for me. So, I wasted a bit of money. I really wish there was a way to trial paid apps before you bought them. Like how some apps are free with ads, but you can make an in-app purchase to remove them.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I for one appreciate most of the reasons, except for the exclusion of apps like Pathfinder...

Bleh - I want a Finder alternative but I tried PathFinder and it was garbage. (For the record, I have tried all existing shells/file explorers for OS X and Windows and hate them all. I also hate everything I've tried on Linux. Finder is by far the best of them all, but I still envision something so much better. I started writing my own but I don't think I'll ever have the time to finish it...)

alanjay

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Best oddities I have come across.

I have enjoyed a few discussions about acceptable apps one when making a film the DOP and effects people wanted a fixes image on the iPhone screen so that they could put in something suitable later. As you may realise when the actor touches the screen it changes which makes the post production hard. I created a little app that had a green screen and position marks on it and everyone on the team thought it was great and asked if it could be in the app store.

Unfortunately an app that does nothing isn't an acceptable app yet its sole purpose was to do nothing and adding functionality or timings would have reduced its utility on set :)

The second was a companion app to a movie (available in the iTunes store and elsewhere R rated in the US) it had some really cool features allowing you to have the movie synced to the script and display the movie on an airplay device while you followed the script and story boards on your iPad.

Unfortunately the subject matter was considered too risqué for the App store even though the content of the movie was available to purchase in the iTunes store.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Yeah that's great and all, but let's be honest... If you look carefully in the dark corners of the Appstore you can find a huge amount of ****. Such as countless Flappy Bird knock-offs, etc.

Have you ever perused the Google Play store? It's an enormous pile of garbage. It's essentially impossible to find a decent app just by browsing or searching. You have to do additional research outside the store and know exactly which app you're looking for in order to find anything that isn't terrible.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Yeah that's great and all, but let's be honest... If you look carefully in the dark corners of the Appstore you can find a huge amount of ****. Such as countless Flappy Bird knock-offs, etc.

being a knock-off of another game isnt a bug, and doesnt even define something as ****. after all, flappy itself is a knock-off.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
The lack of demos in the app store is the reason I bought so little from it. I like to try before I buy. Personally I think its a really bizarre rule to have. The app store should have a 'trial' or 'demo' button for developers who want to let users try their apps.

Yep, I think it's weird, and annoying!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
When will apple begin accepting submissions for iOS 8 apps ?

a few days after the event right?

I plan to be submitting my first 2 apps then! and I am really excited

I've seen updates that claim they are for 8 compatibility, already. Do you mean apps that require 8?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Less than a month ago PayPal broke there app entirely if you were using the 12hr clock (was perfect with the 24hr clock). Couldn't login using a pin or password. I had to revert to an old version in iTunes that worked perfectly.

Took two more updates to correct the issue.

How do these very broken apps pass checks, not one but twice within two weeks.

Even Apples countdown timer has this bug on my 5, 5s and Mini Retina (iOS 7.1.2). Set the time to a 12hr clock and the timer reads as 00:00 on the locks screen, set the clock to 24hrs and the lock screen countdown works fine.

Even Apples own software has very obvious bugs that I really don't know how it passed testing. Actually worked perfectly on the original release of iOS 7. It broke after the first update and it's never worked properly since.

I really wish Apple would allow you to revert to a previous version of an app, when you try to install it you could have a simple list of why you are reverting, if Apple get a lot of the same feedback then they could pull the broken app quickly or force the developer to revert to an older version while it gets fixed.

Yeah, cuz, like, bugs are totally obvious and easy to fix ALL the time.

----------

The lack of demos in the app store is the reason I bought so little from it. I like to try before I buy. Personally I think its a really bizarre rule to have. The app store should have a 'trial' or 'demo' button for developers who want to let users try their apps.

Yeah, totally! Like maybe they could even make it super easy for everyone and just put that button right in the app. You could just download everything, try it for free enough to check it out, and then decide whether to press that button for the full experience. I've actually thought about this a lot. They could name it "Internal Application Purch-"

Wait, wut?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
With hundreds of app submissions per hour, there's only time for a limited number of spot checks for each rule/guideline.

There are about 50 apps in the App Store that claim to be a Cydia tweak.

Think about how many more there would be if Apple weren't at least spot checking.

I've downloaded apps before which are bugged to the point of being virtually unusuable.

Think about how many more there would be if Apple weren't at least spot checking. But this is really more about incompetent (or occasionally very unlucky) developers. Any competent developer should be doing a ton more thorough device testing than any spot check.

I would like to see ...
Or even a few anecdotes of apps that have been rejected before and how much they had to add or change to gain admittance.

I had an app rejected for reason #1 (More information needed). I simply added a few sentences to the app description and included help info (so that someone even more clueless could figure out how to use the app), and it was quickly approved.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
When will apple begin accepting submissions for iOS 8 apps ?

a few days after the event right?

App submissions for apps built against iOS 8 should start to be accepted once the GM build is released to developers so that apps being submitted have been built against the anticipated release version. I would be extremely surprised if the iOS 8 / XCode 6 GMs aren't made available immediately following the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 event next Tuesday.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
They need to list "Just plain crappiness".

Some friends of mine were being stupid and thought that they would get rich by making a game and they slaved for almost a year making probably the worst game I've ever seen.

They talked about buying houses, and cars, and taking vacations with the millions they'd be making.

Then the app got rejected. As someone who play tested it for them, I knew it would.

It had no way to get back to the main menu, the first submission attempt it was rejected for bad artwork (thats how bad it was. Think, MS Paint with a mouse). It crashed constantly, and it just wasn't fun. It was also only four levels, and one didnt work.

Needless to say they hissed and boohooed and still hold a grudge against apple instead of sucking it up and realizing their game was **** and learning from their mistakes.

They decided to release it on Android where it got a whopping 6 sales...all within the first day, undoubtedly from relatives.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
App submissions for apps built against iOS 8 should start to be accepted once the GM build is released to developers so that apps being submitted have been built against the anticipated release version. I would be extremely surprised if the iOS 8 / XCode 6 GMs aren't made available immediately following the iOS 8 / iPhone 6 event next Tuesday.

Ok awesome ! That's what I thought

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
They need to list "Just plain crappiness".

We'll they do have this:

If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour. (source)

Seems pretty close.

mgkimsal

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
With hundreds of app submissions per hour, there's only time for a limited number of spot checks for each rule/guideline.

There's some economics going on that don't seem to add up.

Let's say it's 400 per hour, even hour. That's 9600 per day, or 3.5 million apps per year. They're not getting that many, but let's say they are.

Hiring, say, 1000 people at, say, $50k loaded salary, is $50m. For an entire year. To uphold their guidelines, provide a good experience for users and developers. Heck, bump my license from $99 to $129. Let me pay for 'premium' review service.

It's 'good enough' right now, because they control the market, but someone else *might* take an edge at some point (I doubt it in the next couple of years - everyone else seems afraid to do what needs to be done to compete head-on).

But... $50m tops to give a much better experience?

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-it-really-sucks-to-be-an-app-reviewer-for-apple-2012-7

"people think it's ... 100 people... it's much smaller than that".

Perhaps if they paid better or actually recruited and trained? Yeah, it's not the simplest job to do, but... given the literally 10s of billions of dollars, and as a shareholder, it pisses me off that the process is so broken.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Bleh - I want a Finder alternative but I tried PathFinder and it was garbage. (For the record, I have tried all existing shells/file explorers for OS X and Windows and hate them all. I also hate everything I've tried on Linux. Finder is by far the best of them all, but I still envision something so much better. I started writing my own but I don't think I'll ever have the time to finish it...)

What would you want to see in a finder alternative that is lacking from the others? Genuinely interested.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What would you want to see in a finder alternative that is lacking from the others? Genuinely interested.

It needs to show more info in fewer windows. It should automatically recognize the best way to present any directory and use that (to the point that the user facing option is removed entirely), it needs to be better at showing deeply nested items (think of what a PITA it is to navigate a Java project, or a large Python module). It needs to be better at recognizing when items are related and show them together. It should replicate more of bash, and in a way that's faster, to the point that bash isn't used anymore. It should be cross platform.

I have plans for how to accomplish all of this and more, and I have written some code to demonstrate each feature, but I don't have the time to actually bring it all together. Already have a day job and already moonlighting as a CTO for a startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.