Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Not only is Apple the primary source for legal music downloads and modern portable music players, but now garageband.

Why do I think GarageBand is so significant?

Its simple. LOTS of people get iLife bundled on macs, and LOTS of people purchase iLife. Now all of those people have the ability to record and compose music - basically for free since most of them arent buying the mac or iLife just for GarageBand.

Therefore, Apple just gave millions of people the ability to easily compose and record their own music for the first time. Who knows, maybe some kid who is the next huge rock star will get his start playing around with GarageBand

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines. I was looking for some decent but cheap audio app for the Mac, since I recently switched, and I think GarageBand might fit that just right.

GarageBand will do for music what iMovie has done for home movie-making. (Expect 'Windows Music Maker' to come out next year).

GarageBand looks like an incredibly powerful tool. When rumours of a consumer audio app were hot before the announcement, I was expecting some crappy loop-based thing, since I was disappointed that Soundtrack was nothing more than that - even though it cost £200!

Sure, GarageBand won't give the pros everything that they will want (they have Logic for that) but Apple has taken care to ensure it is pretty much not limiting for your creativity. The idea is that people will get it with their Mac and pick up that old guitar gathering dust in the garage and start playing. And now people can see how easy it is to create music with a little guidance. This was the final piece in the iLife puzzle, and now many more people will be flocking to switch to Mac.

Trust Apple to simplify the bewilderingly complex-sounding digital home music production!

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
I dont know so much if GB will make loads of people come over to the Mac but its by far a great idea at last. Ive been looking for an audio app that could record for ages somthing that was next nothing in price and here we go with GB. I do own reason and cubase great aps dam shame only on the PC my Mac cant run them to old and slow lol. But i am buying a Powerbook this year so heres to GB.

Apples take on the whole music sceen is making lots of sense to me now all of a sudden. I think there going to lauch a Users Lable or somthing simliar lol maybe.

Hope so

apoptoticdream

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2004
The revolution continues...

You know what's really beautiful (or depressing, depending on how you look at it) is that GB (+Jampack)is going to effectively replace my very expensive (and aging) early 90's sequencing technology for almost no cost. Alot of PC people complain about the cost of Apple products, but they don't see the amazing possibilities that the bundled software can open up for someone who wants to express something of themselves. Kudos to Apple for starting and continuing the revolution.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
Macs have been big with audio proffesionals for a long time. Pre G3 times, when all there was was beige......

Macs kick ass when it comes to professional audio. This whole garageband just opens up the 'rest of us' market for those who don't want to spend between $500 and $2000 for professional audio software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.