Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
About speculative execution vulnerabilities in ARM-based and Intel CPUs

Security researchers have recently uncovered security issues known by two names, Meltdown and Spectre. These issues apply to all modern processors and affect nearly all computing devices and operating systems. All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time. Since exploiting many of these issues requires a malicious app to be loaded on your Mac or iOS device, we recommend downloading software only from trusted sources such as the App Store. Apple has already released mitigations in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2 to help defend against Meltdown. Apple Watch is not affected by Meltdown. In the coming days we plan to release mitigations in Safari to help defend against Spectre. We continue to develop and test further mitigations for these issues and will release them in upcoming updates of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
And the funny part is; yup the fix across all manufacturers devices will likely slow down your device :)

I’m not one for conspiracies but I find the timing of the release of this bug affecting nearly all devices from all manufacturers rather convenient.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I’m not one for conspiracies but I find the timing of the release of this bug affecting nearly all devices from all manufacturers rather convenient.

That's like saying U.S. stealth fighters look like Chinese stealth fighters. There aren't that many engineering solutions to solve a problem.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
That's like saying U.S. stealth fighters look like Chinese stealth fighters. There aren't that many engineering solutions to solve a problem.
I was talking about the timing of general news release. Remember this was not something discovered yesterday.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I was talking about the timing of general news release. Remember this was not something discovered yesterday.

Google reported the issue to the major manufacturers in June 2017.

I'm sure everyone from Apple to AMD asked their PR team draft up communications a long time ago.

There was no point in disclosing to the public until the fixes were available.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The issue was kept quiet until fixes were either available or nearly available. And, obviously, once someone came up with the idea on one vendor, they thought of looking at other vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.