Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It dropped a little in terms of screen-on time (like I said, half an hour, negligible), but it’s perfect on standby time. It just doesn’t drop. It’s why I called it like-new: half an hour isn’t significant enough for me to say it dropped, and standby time is perfect.

The 6s has 1400 cycles, it was used, quite heavily. It has been on iOS 10.0 since I got it.

I’m not disputing the chemistry, I’m disputing its impact on runtime.
I am not disputing your personal experience, I just don’t believe that it’s indicative of the average person’s experience with an older battery. The battery you have in your 6S could be a top 0.1% performer and a complete aberration.

I would be interested in your numbers running purely streamed video on LTE over one charge though.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I wonder how’s the 8’s standby, though. I’m sure iOS 10 isn’t to blame, but I don’t know whether the culprit of the beginning of the standby issue is iOS 11 or iOS 12. Do you know, by any chance? Maybe we can determine whether the issue started on iOS 11 or if it did on iOS 12.

I’ve used the 6s below 30% and it doesn’t shut down, ever. That’s odd, too!
For what it's worth, when I have used the 8 as a backup alarm clock I never noticed any standby drain on iOS 11. I have not used it for much else other than that.

The issue with the 6s shutting down is due to a bug in 10.1.1. It is 10.2 that introduces the "peak performance" thing where it throttles down, which was done in response to the bug in 10.1.1, but obviously this was not made public. I just happened to be unlucky enough to find this device on the affected version.

Reactions: addamas

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I am not disputing your personal experience, I just don’t believe that it’s indicative of the average person’s experience with an older battery. The battery you have in your 6S could be a top 0.1% performer and a complete aberration.

I would be interested in your numbers running purely streamed video on LTE over one charge though.
It’s a shame that we don‘t have a huge pool of users to draw data from. There aren’t many people with non-updated devices with degraded batteries at all, let alone ones we can find, let alone ones with early enough versions to draw conclusions from. I’ve found two people here with a 6s on iOS 10. There are more, probably, but they aren’t easy to find, because there aren’t many.

That’s a little difficult for me to try because an LTE streaming test will use up all of my data, but I’ve tested it on the 6s on Wi-Fi (and on my iPads) and streaming video with the most used apps (Netflix and Amazon Prime Video) doesn’t seem to be any heavier than mixed usage. I get the same battery life I get while web browsing. That happens on both 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12, and on my iPad Air 5. As well as the 6s. So if that’s correct… maybe 6.5 hours of LTE streaming? 6 hours? I doubt it’s much worse than that. I will admit that I haven’t tried it, though, I’m only speculating.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
For what it's worth, when I have used the 8 as a backup alarm clock I never noticed any standby drain on iOS 11. I have not used it for much else other than that.

The issue with the 6s shutting down is due to a bug in 10.1.1. It is 10.2 that introduces the "peak performance" thing where it throttles down, which was done in response to the bug in 10.1.1, but obviously this was not made public. I just happened to be unlucky enough to find this device on the affected version.
Cool, maybe it’s iOS 12 then.

Throttling was introduced on iOS 10.2.1, so the bug was present since at least iOS 10.1.1? I don’t know if it was present earlier, don’t remember when people started to complain about it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s a shame that we don‘t have a huge pool of users to draw data from. There aren’t many people with non-updated devices with degraded batteries at all, let alone ones we can find, let alone ones with early enough versions to draw conclusions from. I’ve found two people here with a 6s on iOS 10. There are more, probably, but they aren’t easy to find, because there aren’t many.

That’s a little difficult for me to try because an LTE streaming test will use up all of my data, but I’ve tested it on the 6s on Wi-Fi (and on my iPads) and streaming video with the most used apps (Netflix and Amazon Prime Video) doesn’t seem to be any heavier than mixed usage. I get the same battery life I get while web browsing. That happens on both 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12, and on my iPad Air 5. As well as the 6s. So if that’s correct… maybe 6.5 hours of LTE streaming? 6 hours? I doubt it’s much worse than that. I will admit that I haven’t tried it, though, I’m only speculating.
Yep. The sample size is too small for us to extract any truly meaningful data. Almost everyone updates their devices so a 6S or OGSE on iOS 10 is exceedingly rare. I was able to reach 6 hours of WiFi streaming on a non-OEM battery at 89% on Wi-Fi so I estimate that I would achieve 7-7.5 hours of Wi-Fi streaming on my new OEM battery. I’ll try to come up with LTE battery life data for you on Fri.

Reactions: FeliApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.