Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I got into Apple for the ecosystem interaction, the quality of the hardware, decent software, and the "it just works" functionality.

Over time the interaction has decreased, the quality is still there, the software has not grown as expected, and it has evolved into "sometimes it just works".

I won't be replacing my MB - I've grown to like my hybrid PC and my IPP is not quite a laptop
I added Android to my mobile space - between bugs and lack of functionality in iOS
It has become increasingly harder to identify good new software and more expensive - searching in the App Store is a pain to find what you want.
The "it just works" died a while back

PWA's would be a great alternative however, you sorta can't most cases in iOS Safari.
Other than in-app purchases, it has been a while since I actually bought anything in the App Store. All of my new app purchases last couple of years has been on the Android side.

Apple did themselves no favor using this argument.
MHO YOMV
X280 x2, MBP 2015, 12 ProMax, IPP 11 2020, Razer 2

Thank You, this is a perfect example that a user does have the option to purchase products from multiple different manufacturers that offer competing products.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I usually am in favor of “wild wild west” and “let the the market decide”. But in this case, I have no idea what apps are doing under the hood, so as a customer, I like that the apps I need to use are forced to go through the App Store where they are scrutinized to make sure they are doing what they advertise and nothing else.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Lies, lies, lies...
Where's the lie?

For our app, we encourage each user to provide us with their for personal phone mumber and email so we can call them to provide support... for example if a support email doesn't make sense and I can fix their problem faster by asking for details over the phone.

Users can of course not provide us with contact details, and not receive that level of support, which is also good. They should have a choice and it should also be easy enough to quickly buy the app with a couple taps and no typing.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I always wonder how much depth Apple really goes when they scrutinize new apps and app updates.
The latest privacy labels is another good example.
Who knows. Hopefully, customer demand keeps Apple motivated, but I also understand it’s simply not possible to catch everything with the volume of apps increasing every day in iOS. I think just the reasonable possibility of being caught and facing rejection or even expulsion should help keep most developers honest.

Yikes. The Apple apologists are out in force within this thread. Lots of red thumbs on posts. ?
Just because they disagree doesn’t mean they are Apple apologists, just like just because they agree doesn’t mean they are Apple haters. Apple is sometimes right, sometimes wrong. Anyone who thinks otherwise is irrational. There are definitely two reasonable sides to this one.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Because Apple's OS is better. But it is NOT better because of Apple's nanny rules about the App Store, it is better because of better code in the OS. It has better UI and better security. And I should not have to be subject to Apple's nanny rules just to use a superior OS.
That is a purely psychotic response.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What pile of manure from Apple. Someone with only an IOS device cannot readily download iOS specific apps on the internet, without jumping through a bunch of software obstacles and possibly putting their device and data at risk.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I usually am in favor of “wild wild west” and “let the the market decide”. But in this case, I have no idea what apps are doing under the hood, so as a customer, I like that the apps I need to use are forced to go through the App Store where they are scrutinized to make sure they are doing what they advertise and nothing else.
Actually oops, I realized the free market HAS decided since people aren’t forced to buy iOS devices.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Apple cares too much about the customer experience expose them to the minefield that an unregulated App Store would present — for every one savvy customer who knows their way around such an environment there would be so many more who would end up being bitten by unscrupulous developers just out to make a buck no matter the cost. You can go to the web for that but Apple won’t be the ones personally hosting and offering up such a platform, and rightly so.
Yes you can hear the crying years away. Such and such app bricked my iPhone and I got it on the new Apple unregulated App Store. Let’s sue Apple. They should have seen this coming. It’s Apples fault for not regulating the App Store. Who cares if some country made Apple do it it is still their fault plain and simple.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Lies, lies, lies... :apple: once i fully paid for my device, i should be able to side load the software i purchase separately. Glad this is finally in court.
And which law says that? You bought the device knowing what it wasn't capable of. And if you didn't, you had 14 days to return it after purchase for a full refund (and potentially longer, if you could convincingly argue that it wasn't fit for purpose). There are plenty other devices from other vendors you can buy instead.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I like how when people want to defend themselves or make a claim they create a reality and then argue based on that. No Apple, the only way they get to the consumer is via the app store. Via apps. Apps rules the smartphone and smart devices. Apps faster. Apps more capable.

That being said, I am on Apple on this one. Don't like my stuff then don't buy it. There is a plethora of hardware smartphones out there and there is a free and open source smartphone OS that any one can pick up and customise it to their liking and its called Android.

Indeed this is true, there already exists many version from many companies and FOSS version like Calyx, Graphene, and LineageOS. There is also multiple app stores and a FOSS one called F-Droid and there is Aurora. Its so good, people actually choose this platform over Apple's iOS.

No there aren’t.

What are you talking about? Look above in my post.

Reactions: I7guy

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Lies, lies, lies... :apple: once i fully paid for my device, i should be able to side load the software i purchase separately. Glad this is finally in court.

After you buy it you are free to do with it whatever you want. You can load side software, or alter iOS, or jailbreak it. If you can, they won't sue you. Indeed you are free to do so.

Reactions: subjonas

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom

That doesn't happen on the app store

Reactions: zchrykng

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i always tend to think Apple s playing a 'double standard'

On one hand, they give you access to enterprise account and can offer app to download on the web, while on the other hand with each iOS update, they tighten certificate standards so any app that is downloaded cant be installed/used because it fails verification from Apple.

I've tested this on latest iOS, and all the apps i've tried could download, but not install successfully. (this is even on app websites were Jailbreak was "not" required as per website.) They still failed.

But ya, people except it to be 100% on the App Store .. and it just can't be.. At least, not to the degree without the app not appearing there yet UNTIL Apple's done their fully qualified checks... Which could take a a few extra days when you raise the stakes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.